28" 1920x1200 TN or 27" 1920x1080 IPS?

As the title states, which one do you think would be better? I bought an HP Pavilion 27xi 1080p IPS monitor off craigslist or $100 and really like it. I don't think it's pixelated at all, might be because it's an IPS I don't know but it looks perfectly fine to me.

A couple of days later I see a 28" Hannspree 1920x1200 monitor on craigslist for $30, so I picked that up as well. The guy said it had a problem with the on screen menu randomly popping up a couple times a day but he had a friend look at it and supposedly fix it. He said he tried it out for a couple of hours and it didn't have the problem, but he was selling it as is based on the fact that it might come back.

Well I've had it for a couple of days and no issues with it whatsoever, I even debezeled it because the bezels are monstrously thick (even debezeled they are still thick, but it cut it down by half so it's better).

I currently have them both setup running a dual monitor setup. I use eyefinity and play games at 3840x1200 resolution but you all know dual monitors are not ideal for gaming due to the bezel right in the middle of where you are looking. Assetto Corsa runs perfectly though and is very immersive at this resolution.

My question is which monitor would you think is better? I browse the web a lot, watch a lot of movies, and game frequently. I'm not a super hardcore gamer, but I do quite a bit of gaming.

I personally think the 27" hp looks better due to the ips panel, but the 28" is noticeably larger and has a higher resolution. The hp has a 7ms response time and I notice a lot of tearing, but it goes away when I overclock the monitor to 75hz from 60. The Hannspree will not overclock but with a 3ms TN panel, it doesn't have any problems with tearing.

What do you guys think? Which one would you personally use if you had both?

Just ran this test:
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/Calibration/monitor_black.htm

27" IPS 2:2:2
28" TN 4:4:4

I prefer 16:9 over 16:10

and IPS over TN

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well the 28" tn panel is 16:10 and the 27" ips is 16:9, so that didn't help me lol

edit: nvm, I quickly glanced at your post and thought you said you prefer 16:10.  Now it makes more sense, you are recommending the ips 16:9 panel.  Thanks, I am in agreement with your opinion.

I'd get the ips one any day

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'd get the ips one any day

This is what I think as well, just wanted some more input.  Thanks

At that large of a screen, you may notice color shifts at the edges of the panel, if you go with the tn panel. I say that you opt for the ips panel, since the viewing angles will be nicer, eliminating the potential color shift problem. Things like color shift bug the unholy shit out of me, so the ips option is very much worth it to me.

At that large of a screen, you may notice color shifts at the edges of the panel, if you go with the tn panel. I say that you opt for the ips panel, since the viewing angles will be nicer, eliminating the potential color shift problem. Things like color shift bug the unholy shit out of me, so the ips option is very much worth it to me.

The TN panel does indeed suffer from color shift, but only noticeable on a dark screen.  I watch a lot of movies and tv on my computer and this is a potential problem.  The HP IPS doesn't have issues with color shift and the viewing angles are much better

You should go for the ips it has very good color

You should go for the ips it has very good color

I'm currently using both, but since I only paid $30 for the 28", I was contemplating selling it to make a little money.  It's an older monitor for sure (there is a windows certified vista sticker on the bezel  :o) but it still works perfectly fine.

I may just end up keeping both, not too sure.  I just wanted to hear everyone's opinion on the matter.  So far you have solidified my opinion that the IPS is superior