Can Editing the registry cause issues with GPU Usage?

Shaan5

I was having an error in the Event viewer and I heard that it could be solved by editing the registry, I followed the instructions and I also had to mess around with something called Immersive shell, When I left and ram a benchmark, I noticed that my usage was hovering around 50 Percent however, In another benchmark that I tried, The usage was at 99 Percent, I have tried multiple games and in some, the Usage is fine but in others, it is abysmal. 

Could editing the registry have caused this?

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

I was having an error in the Event viewer and I heard that it could be solved by editing the registry, I followed the instructions and I also had to mess around with something called Immersive shell, When I left and ram a benchmark, I noticed that my usage was hovering around 50 Percent however, In another benchmark that I tried, The usage was at 99 Percent, I have tried multiple games and in some, the Usage is fine but in others, it is abysmal. 

Could editing the registry have caused this?

It's doubtful.  Most likely the games you are running are being bottlenecked somehow, or you got vsync turned on, or some setting in the game is hurting your performance.

It's doubtful.  Most likely the games you are running are being bottlenecked somehow, or you got vsync turned on, or some setting in the game is hurting your performance.

I dont have V-Sync on, what botttleneck could it be

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

I dont have V-Sync on, what botttleneck could it be

Turn each graphical setting up and down and see if any of them improve your utilization.  Somtimes the game is just coded bad and won't fully utilize your gpu.

Your registry is what determines how your OS identifies and controls the software and hardware peripherals your system has. More specifically how your OS handles those peripherals. (There is a lot on this subject and I'm a not going to attempt to give a registry 101 on how this works, maybe Linus can do a registry a FAP video????) anyway your registry settings could possibly affect how your Os sees, determines and affects how the software your graphics card utilizes but it shouldn't have a direct effect on the card and the rendering process of the card itself. Rendering is pretty much a hardwired thing so I would suggest checking on hardware bottlenecks such as your systems configuration and compatibility with each other part. 

What was the Error you received and the 'fix' you saw could resolve your issue. Be specific please. Playing around with your registry is not a 'smart' thing to try if you are not familiar with the process.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Turn each graphical setting up and down and see if any of them improve your utilization.  Somtimes the game is just coded bad and won't fully utilize your gpu.

I just restored the PC to before tweaking the registry and I got it fixed, Thanks For The Help!

Your registry is what determines how your OS identifies and controls the software and hardware peripherals your system has. More specifically how your OS handles those peripherals. (There is a lot on this subject and I'm a not going to attempt to give a registry 101 on how this works, maybe Linus can do a registry a FAP video????) anyway your registry settings could possibly affect how your Os sees, determines and affects how the software your graphics card utilizes but it shouldn't have a direct effect on the card and the rendering process of the card itself. Rendering is pretty much a hardwired thing so I would suggest checking on hardware bottlenecks such as your systems configuration and compatibility with each other part. 

What was the Error you received and the 'fix' you saw could resolve your issue. Be specific please. Playing around with your registry is not a 'smart' thing to try if you are not familiar with the process.

You can see everything here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/error-event-id-10016-distributedcom/130522d2-beac-4495-980a-65e1e3279901

I followed it to the letter, I just restored the PC to before I edited the registry because the fix didn't even work

The issue was something called DistributedCom in event viewer which was causing Windows to crash

You can see everything here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/error-event-id-10016-distributedcom/130522d2-beac-4495-980a-65e1e3279901

I followed it to the letter, I just restored the PC to before I edited the registry because the fix didn't even work

The issue was something called DistributedCom in event viewer which was causing Windows to crash

It looks to be command root error of sorts. I would like to help but to do so I would have to replicate the issue, unfortunately I don't have a version Win8 to do so (I never upgraded for lack of interest in the UI design). But it appears that you have solved your issue by re-installing.

In most cases I would highly recommend a clean re-install (besides its quicker and less irritating) than messing with the registry, it can be risky unless you are familiar with the process. It would appear as if the solution provided to you is not clear on how work around what appears to me to be a corrupted root key in which case a re-install is the better answer any how. I don't think the MS help considered a corrupted key.

Apologies that I could not be of better help to you. Sometimes looking at the machine is easier to diagnose the issue. Blanket solutions are not always the solution.  :(

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It looks to be command root error of sorts. I would like to help but to do so I would have to replicate the issue, unfortunately I don't have a version Win8 to do so (I never upgraded for lack of interest in the UI design). But it appears that you have solved your issue by re-installing.

In most cases I would highly recommend a clean re-install (besides its quicker and less irritating) than messing with the registry, it can be risky unless you are familiar with the process. It would appear as if the solution provided to you is not clear on how work around what appears to me to be a corrupted root key in which case a re-install is the better answer any how. I don't think the MS help considered a corrupted key.

Apologies that I could not be of better help to you. Sometimes looking at the machine is easier to diagnose the issue. Blanket solutions are not always the solution.  :(

Don't worry about it man, Thanks for the help!

Don't worry about it man, Thanks for the help!

Glad to assist.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER