How to make crappy laptop able to minor design/edit plz!

xvantok

So I have a crappy laptop, the Lenovo think pad T61, which, yes I know, belongs in a museum, however it's all I got for a little while until I got enough funds to A: buy my computer and B: all the cool stuff I see on YouTube. So I REEEAAALlYYY want to start making kinda of sciencey-techy videos (a kinda mix between Vsauce, Linus Tech and kursegt - in a nutshell (pls don't go all zuckerberg on me doh... Plz)) which leaves me at a problem. I know my computer is unlikely to be able to handle any adobe afterworks/flash/PS or anything so any Ideas in A: what software I can get for free and B: how I can optimise my computer to handle the previously mentioned program.

Hold my documents on an no external drive so don't care if I have to reformat it (it runs windows 10) or make it a hackintosh, etc.

Please any help would be massive!

Xvantok

It Won't Fail Cause of Me.

Windows XP, some older Adobe programs...

You probably don't have enough RAM for anything else.

CPU-Wise it'll just be slow, nothing you can do about that.

Windows XP, some older Adobe programs...

You probably don't have enough RAM for anything else.

CPU-Wise it'll just be slow, nothing you can do about that.

I thought W10 was more hardware optimised for slower computers? It's a celeron CPU with 2 gigs of ram. Any ideas on how I could get my hands on old adobe stuff?

So I have a crappy laptop, the Lenovo think pad T61, which, yes I know, belongs in a museum, however it's all I got for a little while until I got enough funds to A: buy my computer and B: all the cool stuff I see on YouTube. So I REEEAAALlYYY want to start making kinda of sciencey-techy videos (a kinda mix between Vsauce, Linus Tech and kursegt - in a nutshell (pls don't go all zuckerberg on me doh... Plz)) which leaves me at a problem. I know my computer is unlikely to be able to handle any adobe afterworks/flash/PS or anything so any Ideas in A: what software I can get for free and B: how I can optimise my computer to handle the previously mentioned program.

Hold my documents on an no external drive so don't care if I have to reformat it (it runs windows 10) or make it a hackintosh, etc.

Please any help would be massive!

Xvantok

1. Its the competitor for my Tecra M5. Use old Vista or Windows XP based programs.

2. Its worse than my Tecra M5 in the fact that it doesn't have dedicated graphics (Quadro NVS 110M, 386MB shared system memory, 128MB dedicated)

3. You should upgrade it to at least 4GB of RAM, and probably the HDD as well. Pretty much any SSD is an upgrade for you.

4. See if you can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo T7600

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I thought W10 was more hardware optimised for slower computers? It's a celeron CPU with 2 gigs of ram. Any ideas on how I could get my hands on old adobe stuff?

No its not, Windows XP will run far better on that laptop than anything after it. Though it is old and unsupported.

PMSL

1. Its the competitor for my Tecra M5. Use old Vista or Windows XP based programs.

2. Its worse than my Tecra M5 in the fact that it doesn't have dedicated graphics (Quadro NVS 110M, 386MB shared system memory, 128MB dedicated)

3. You should upgrade it to at least 4GB of RAM, and probably the HDD as well. Pretty much any SSD is an upgrade for you.

4. See if you can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo T7600

How can I 'upgrade' it's a laptop not a tower! I thought parts where fixed to the PCB or at least damn hard to change

How can I 'upgrade' it's a laptop not a tower! I thought parts where fixed to the PCB or at least damn hard to change

It can be upgraded, there should be panels on the bottom for the HDD and RAM, and the CPU will require you to disassemble the laptop so you can access it. 

PMSL

Old Adobe stuff... Hmm yeah I have ideas about how to get your hands on it, but I can't tell them ;)

And no, W10 is definitely not faster than Windows XP. It likes RAM.

It can be upgraded, there should be panels on the bottom for the HDD and RAM, and the CPU will require you to disassemble the laptop so you can access it.

Sounds good I'll need to check it out in the morn, but thanks for the help

Old Adobe stuff... Hmm yeah I have ideas about how to get your hands on it, but I can't tell them ;)

Are you referring to the *ha hum* pirate bay *ha hum*

Sounds good I'll need to check it out in the morn, but thanks for the help

NP, and if your doing 3D design, look for 3DS Max 7, I found that it ran flawlessly on even my ancient laptop. (Pentium 4 and the Ati Mobility Radeon 9000igp, with both being worse than what your laptop has).

PMSL

Are you referring to the *ha hum* pirate bay *ha hum*

Maybe, we can't encourage piracy on this forum.

PMSL

Would I be able to get xp from the same sources as adobe?

Just go to the local tip, find a computer with an XP CD key, write it down, and I'll provide you with an ISO that is legitimate and not riddled with malware-which is what you get from the 'alternative' sources.

PMSL

Yeah but be careful

Something to look into is hardware upgrades.

Due to being an older thinkpad they are quite upgrade-able.

Found a cheap CPU upgrade, the T61 supports this chip and it's the highest spec'd chip that it officially supports.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Intel-Core-2-Duo-Mobile-T9500-SLAYX-SLAQH-2-6GHz-FF80576GG0646M-Processor-/271759613962?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f4622a00a

With 6mb cache and a 2.8ghz clock speed, all you need is a slight RAM upgrade and you should be able to run pretty much anything you want. 

I've done video editing using a bloody single core sempron (mobile chip) before using sony vegas and AfterFX (even some C4d stuff).

It's just the render times that will kill you, and live-view of the workspace won't be that great so you will have to set it to half the FPS.

Or just pre-render the workspace viewer so you can see what it looks like properly.

Another thing to look at is maybe a nice SSD, this way your system is given all the boosts it can get. The T61 can have upgradeable graphics as well I think 

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350