trouble with linux mint

Go to solution Solved by Albatross,

Sounds like it was your USB stick, not the ISO or the BIOS. I would advise using LinuxLiveUSB creator, it is simple the best. :)

As for your keyboard and mouse (I am going to assume they are USB), that could be a BIOS issue. What motherboard do you have and what options do you have in it? Could you go through it and see if you have something like "Legacy USB/Keyboard&Mouse" or something like "IOMMU Controller"? If you have it and it is disabled, try turning it on, reboot and test if they work within Linux.

(if this doesn't work would you mind sharing what your mouse, keyboard and motherboard is?)

Hmm, the bootscriptinfo is not as detailed as the summary from boot-repair but it does indicate some of the same stuff. Okay, here's my previous post concerning your last post:

It most certainly isn't a good thing you couldn't run the update via the command. And judging by what I can see in your pastebin, the os-prober is having difficulties.

Try this in Ubuntu if the rest fails:

sudo update-grubsudo grub-install /dev/sda

If that doesn't work, can you open the terminal and tell me what the output of this is:

sudo os-prober

Also run gparted and check which, if at all, have boot flags.

And please tell me what you have your BIOS boot mode set to? Also, do you have any Fast Boot options, Win8 options enabled? All of these have been known to mess with Boot-repair's attempts to fix the grub menus/grub. Also, it has been known that switching these options allowed people access to the grub menu.

edit

Hopefully this fixes it or leads us to a solution. If not I can ask some more knowledgeable people concerning the issue. Generally when boot-repair fails so hard and any attempts at fixing it fails just as hard there is an underline issue.

So I tried the "sudo update-grub" command, the response was "/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get cannonical path of ' /cow' ."

The response from "sudo os-prober" command was "/dev/sdb5: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca (17.1):LinuxMint:linux"

The bios boot mode is set to "UEFI and legacy". Fast startup was turned on in windows, I've disabled it and I'll retry the boot repair once more.

The boot flags,  weirdly, not really sure what those are, I right clicked every partition and selected managa flags in gparted. The "boot" "option" was ticked in /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1. Not sure why the SDC because it's an old slow Samsung HDD from an old computer I decided to put in not to throw away. Linux is supposed to be installed on sdb5.

I'm sorry, I forgot to say that sudo upgrade-grub cannot be run inside of LiveCD, you would have to mnt to the actual Linux drive. I was replying to two of your posts so I forgot to include that bit, sorry.

Okay, open Gparted and take a screenshot for me. We (I) need to see the boot flags, specifically if there is any EXT4 Partition. Once we figure everything out we are going to mount to the Linux install and manually fix everything through the LiveCD. I suspect it will be /dev/sda5 though.

(forum keeps going down for me so replies might be delayed)

(also please unhook all hdds, usbs or extra devices you don't need during the processes!)

edit

I see the problem I think. Your Boot-repair is placing the grub in all disks!  In this image you provided me earlier can you select "Place Grub Into" and see if sda is listed? If so, select that and then scroll through the other tabs and make sure there is no option called "Secure Boot" enabled. If there is, disable it and then also uncheck "purge kernels and then reinstall" and then run the boot repair.

But I will still need that gparted information. Mounting directly to fix the grub will work, I'm almost sure of it. But my only problem is locating the direct mnt point as it seems to be all over the place for you....

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'm sorry, I forgot to say that sudo upgrade-grub cannot be run inside of LiveCD, you would have to mnt to the actual Linux drive. I was replying to two of your posts so I forgot to include that bit, sorry.

Okay, open Gparted and take a screenshot for me. We (I) need to see the boot flags, specifically if there is any EXT4 Partition. Once we figure everything out we are going to mount to the Linux install and manually fix everything through the LiveCD. I suspect it will be /dev/sda5 though.

(forum keeps going down for me so replies might be delayed)

(also please unhook all hdds, usbs or extra devices you don't need during the processes!)

edit

I see the problem I think. Your Boot-repair is placing the grub in all disks!  In this image you provided me earlier can you select "Place Grub Into" and see if sda is listed? If so, select that and then scroll through the other tabs and make sure there is no option called "Secure Boot" enabled. If there is, disable it and then also uncheck "purge kernels and then reinstall" and then run the boot repair.

But I will still need that gparted information. Mounting directly to fix the grub will work, I'm almost sure of it. But my only problem is locating the direct mnt point as it seems to be all over the place for you....

I think this really could work. I made the screenshots, flags are just where I said they were in the first place. The EXT4 partition has no boot flag, but I guess you can see all of this below. However I'd love if you could check the pictures and recommend me the advanced settings once more. Not sure where am I supposed to install GRUB now =).

post-183806-0-11440600-1433193524_thumb.

post-183806-0-01944200-1433193533_thumb.

post-183806-0-69699300-1433193536_thumb.

PS: Sorry for the late reply once more, I was kind of  busy the entire time.

I also apologize for the late response.

First try booting into the system holding down shift as soon as the BIOS appears. Does this bring up the grub menu? I hope it isn't nested conditionally in the /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober because if it isn't and you get into Linux, we can run the Boot-Repair to fix everything. If not, final thing to try before either 1) attempt reinstall but follow strict instructions 2) ask the professionals at Linux Mint community.

1) Graphic Method via Boot-Repair (make yours look like this but use your own locations in the drop down menu)

d07g1vF.png

(the screenshot below is the 2nd Tab "Grub Location". Also note that my Boot-Repair looks a bit different because I have Ubuntu 14.04 with custom themes installed; should still be the same)

haRTKm9.png

dCIyEKh.png

n8zq8yA.png

(please make note that my Boot-Repair's 2nd Tab is slightly different than yours; please refer to the EXAMPLE image I talked about in the above screenshot to properly set yours up)

2) Manual Method via Terminal (final attempt)

Boot from a LiveCD. In terminal enter the following (please read instructions/comments in the parenthesis):

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt (chose sda5 because your outputs indicate it should be there)sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda (Please take note of the space between mnt and /dev and that I did not include a number after sda. Also, try if it errors out replacing "--root" with "--boot")

Restart the computer. If the grub works go into Linux Mint install (not LiveCD) and open another terminal and enter the following with another reboot after:

sudo update grub 

Does any of that work? *crosses fingers*

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I also apologize for the late response.

First try booting into the system holding down shift as soon as the BIOS appears. Does this bring up the grub menu? I hope it isn't nested conditionally in the /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober because if it isn't and you get into Linux, we can run the Boot-Repair to fix everything. If not, final thing to try before either 1) attempt reinstall but follow strict instructions 2) ask the professionals at Linux Mint community.

1) Graphic Method via Boot-Repair (make yours look like this but use your own locations in the drop down menu)

d07g1vF.png

(the screenshot below is the 2nd Tab "Grub Location". Also note that my Boot-Repair looks a bit different because I have Ubuntu 14.04 with custom themes installed; should still be the same)

haRTKm9.png

dCIyEKh.png

n8zq8yA.png

(please make note that my Boot-Repair's 2nd Tab is slightly different than yours; please refer to the EXAMPLE image I talked about in the above screenshot to properly set yours up)

2) Manual Method via Terminal (final attempt)

Boot from a LiveCD. In terminal enter the following (please read instructions/comments in the parenthesis):

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt (chose sda5 because your outputs indicate it should be there)sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda (Please take note of the space between mnt and /dev and that I did not include a number after sda. Also, try if it errors out replacing "--root" with "--boot")

Restart the computer. If the grub works go into Linux Mint install (not LiveCD) and open another terminal and enter the following with another reboot after:

sudo update grub 

Does any of that work? *crosses fingers*

I've only had a few minutes to try the boot-repair option and it didn't work at first try. I'll have to wait for another two days to come back home to have access to my desktop =(.

Alright then, whenever you have the time just quote me/mention me here with the results. :)

EDIT June 3rd

@IreMinMon

sorry for the mention, wanted to put something in here I thought would help but looking back your Boot-Repair doesn't have the options. If you want you can check to see if it does and try the solution in the spoiler below after the above solutions.

I just your problem (boots directly into Windows despite install of Linux being there) and successfully managed to fix it. If you see this and when you, please apply it (after you try the above solutions):

Boot LiveCD > Open Boot-Repair > Advanced Options > Main Tab > Check "Backup and Rename Windows EFI Files (solves the [hard-coded-EFI] error)" > Hit Apply and let it finish. Reboot.

Do you get the Grub menu now? If it doesn't appear, does bringing up the Boot List (usually F11 or FF9) show your Ubuntu drive? If so, click into it and if it successfully manages to boot into Linux, apply the instructions above again and reboot. Report success/failure.