uses of windows server 2008

henry1006

I need a storage solution for my data at home. At the moment I have around 3 TB of data and I am lookimg to the future where it might Be 5 or more. 

The question is, can I configure server 2008 as a storage server, something like a NAS.  FYI:  I am not going for freenas due to risks of data lost in a power outage. 

Plus, what's the difference between storage server 2008 and sever 2008

Thx 

To reiliterate,  I am looking for a network storage solution that can be used among may users.

the difference between server 2008 and storage server 2008 is application-specific enterprise features.

but i feel for your use case, even a simple linux box with samba sharing would be enough.

I need a storage solution for my data at home. At the moment I have around 3 TB of data and I am lookimg to the future where it might Be 5 or more. 

The question is, can I configure server 2008 as a storage server, something like a NAS.  FYI:  I am not going for freenas due to risks of data lost in a power outage. 

Plus, what's the difference between storage server 2008 and sever 2008

Thx 

It would be more ideal for you to use FreeNas, opensource and will won't with any hardware. Plus it uses far less space than windows and its much lighter. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

keep it as simple as possible is always my advice, nevermind Linux/freenas etc...

You dont even require a Server OS to host your own private NAS. Simply create a folder on its desktop > right click > properties > sharing > advanced sharing >  tick the 'share this folder' box > click on the permissions button and add the EVERYONE group with full control. To find that share on your network just go to your dads computer and type in the IP address '\\IP ADDRESS' of the storage computer you just created the share on, aaaand that's it :).

You can even for ease of use right click the share once you find it on the network and select 'map to network drive' and it will appear for your dad in his My Computer from now on.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Thx for everyones advice and support.

Freenas:  I will not step a foot into open source although it is free and promising for NAS,  however since the computer is not ZFP compatible,  I don't want to risk my data.

Linux: I have heard of the OS but I haven't had a hands on experiment with it so, I won't be stepping to that boat either

Windows OS: my current computer don't have raid support so I will opting out of using my current computer. If necessary, I will install windows 7 as a sharing computer.

Windows Server OS:  I haven't use it yet but I am willing to buy it if necessary to keep my data secure for lost and other traumatizing situations. However, I don't know the various version of server 2008.

So my conclusion is either sharing with consumer based OS like win7 or obtain a server