Help! Computer exploded..?

TheMooman
Go to solution Solved by Mx2468,

If you had any warranty on that PSU, please try to contact the manufacturer to maybe get the PSU replaced as this sounds like a busted PSU to me. If you want to, check if any other parts are damaged and replace that power supply immediately. To find a good PSU, see sites like Johnny guru who review power supplies and some tech companies on Youtube might have good reviews. I would recommend a power supply with at least a bronze 80+ certification. And lastly, pray for your system components to be ok, because that could have ended badly for your parts. Have a nice day  :) 

Hi, I need a bit of help.

Whilst playing a bit of The Witcher 2 today, I decided to turn on ubersampling to see if it would massively impact performance and it didn't do that much, so I kept it on. After at least 2 hours (may have been more, but I wasn't really looking at the time...) my computer just turns off with a fairly loud sound, that I don't know how to describe. I, being worried, touched the case to find that it was very warm, so I immediately flipped the power switch on the back, unplugged everything from the machine and moved it to a more open area, so that I could inspect it. I took off the side panel, and began feeling the air around the components, and I found that the PSU was unusually hot, whilst the GPU was quite warm too (though I assume that it's normal, seeing as it usually operates at up to 50ºC when playing games). I tried to look around, maybe a wire was broken, but I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. I looked around on the other side, but, of course, didn't see much, seeing as there was only the panel which the motherboard is attached to. There was also a slight smell of burning when I first opened the case.

I left the PC alone for a good 10-30 minutes to allow it to cool down. After that, I decided to see if it works, so I plugged in only the power cable, flipped the power switch at the back, pushed the power button but was severely disappointed to find that nothing happened. Filled with grief, I pushed the button a few more times in case I didn't push the button correctly the first time round, but still got no result. Nothing happened. None of the lights or fans would even try to come on for a split second. At this point, I'm thinking that the PSU has broken in some way, but the question is: is there any way for me to fix it? By reading off the label on it, I'm finding that it's a 500W ATX Switching Power Supply, Model A-500BR. There is also a logo, on which it says Ace and then in tiny writing underneath "are step ahead".

So then, is there any way to fix this without buying a new PSU, or is it some other component that's broken?

P.S: I'm also quite certain that no power is going through, because My speakers usually turn on a small light when I plug them into a USB port, but not anymore.

Thanks for any help. I'm now going to go and cry whilst I wait for a response...

Update: No other component actually broke with the PSU, which I replaced with a Corsair CX600W

From what you described, that PSU sounds like junk. I would just replace it, and hope to hell it didn't take a piece of your system with it.

Look for capacitors that have swelled, they look like little aa batteries, or round towers on your motherboard. The ones you should really be looking at are in the psu but, i highly recommend not opening it up unless you know what you're doing. There is a paper clip trick to short out your psu, google it, it may help. I would contact the manufacturer if in warranty, they might test your system and replace broken parts.

You can test the PSU but its pretty pointless.

Remove the battery for a minute or two, replace it and try again. If it still doesn't boot then the PSU is dead, as above its junk anyway so a replacement is a good buy.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I think you blew up a cap from your psu. So that's probably dead.

Best thing is get a new one and hope the rest of your system is fine. It's possible more components than the psu are damaged because of it.

So get a new GOOD psu and hope it's fine.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If you had any warranty on that PSU, please try to contact the manufacturer to maybe get the PSU replaced as this sounds like a busted PSU to me. If you want to, check if any other parts are damaged and replace that power supply immediately. To find a good PSU, see sites like Johnny guru who review power supplies and some tech companies on Youtube might have good reviews. I would recommend a power supply with at least a bronze 80+ certification. And lastly, pray for your system components to be ok, because that could have ended badly for your parts. Have a nice day  :) 

I would try bridging the power supply to make sure its the problem. Take a paperclip or something else small and conductive and do this to the ATX plug. 

PSU%20Paper%20Clip%20Test%205.png

After that try and flip the switch to turn it on, if the power supply fan doesn't spin then the power supply is the problem. 

When you buy your next power supply, spend more than £17. Hope your other components made it.

Thanks everyone, I am currently looking at buying a new one and am getting a more knowledged friend to help me.

Curious....what's the GPU?

It's a Sapphire R9 270X 4GB version.

well hope your system is fine and that the PSU didnt take it with it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Thanks everyone, I am currently looking at buying a new one and am getting a more knowledged friend to help me.

It's a Sapphire R9 270X 4GB version.

Wow, your graphics card is pretty good, i really hope it didn't get destroyed. Taking advice from others is a very smart thing, I always take the experience of others before mine on a new/ not ventured into before subject. Carry on with that smart thinking and you will be a PC master in no time.