Celeron vs Pentium

I've seen both these names on many sites such as newegg, ncix, etc. But what is the difference between these two different types of processors. They both appear to be APUs to me.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

hmm

intel atom....

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

The pentium is faster than the celeron.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question268.htm

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hello there! Intel Celeron CPUs are at the very low end of the Intel CPU product line, they have reduced features, reduced performance, but have a very low price point. 

Pentium level CPUs are a step above the Celeron CPUs in performance, they usually have larger CPU caches and high clock speeds than Celeron CPUs.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

-fishymamba LTT Intel Response Squad 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Hello there! Intel Celeron CPUs are at the very low end of the Intel CPU product line, they have reduced features, reduced performance, but have a very low price point. 

Pentium level CPUs are a step above the Celeron CPUs in performance, they usually have larger CPU caches and high clock speeds than Celeron CPUs.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

-fishymamba LTT Intel Response Squad 

So would the integrated graphics be useful in any sort of gaming or would an AMD APU be a better choice for that

hmm

So would the integrated graphics be useful in any sort of gaming or would an AMD APU be a better choice for that

The integrated graphics are pretty low end, no good for gaming. If you are going to be gaming, I would look into getting a discrete GPU such as a AMD 7770 or similar. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

The integrated graphics are pretty low end, no good for gaming. If you are going to be gaming, I would look into getting a discrete GPU such as a AMD 7770 or similar. 

My understanding would be that their main purpose is for doing some light computer operations, like web browsing. So would stepping up to a pentium (as opposed to a celeron)actually help you if you only want a PC for web browsing

hmm

My understanding would be that their main purpose is for doing some light computer operations, like web browsing. So would stepping up to a pentium (as opposed to a celeron)actually help you if you only want a PC for web browsing

It depends on the specific Celeron or Pentium CPU, they all have different specifications.

But for web browsing you probably will not feel much of a difference.

Go for an A4, A6, A8 or A10 for gaming on the AMD side! The APU matches an nVidia 640 which is good for med to low gaming! 

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H