Motherboards with interchangeable cpu sockets?

My friend suggested that today and that is actually quite a good idea. It would make cpu upgrades and stuff much easier if you didn't have a matching socket with the new cpu. 

My friend suggested that today and that is actually quite a good idea. It would make cpu upgrades and stuff much easier if you didn't have a matching socket with the new cpu. 

not possible. the traces on a motherboard are specific to a socket.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I *think* it'd be possible. But it'd require a lot. Far more tracers (they are compact enough already), several chip-sets, different controllers.

It'd be a big, expensive motherboard.

Not worth it.

EDIT: Just have multiple sockets on one board. Still a stupid idea.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Never gonna happen, so much changes with each chipset as with each socket.

This is the closest we have ever gotten to what your friend was talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slotket

(I should really buy a few of them for shits and giggles).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

To add on to what @ said, AsRock had motherboards back in the S754/939 era that had a special slot above the PCIE that accepted a proprietary board. The board would change a S754 board to a S939 or a S939 to AM2. In the AM2 case it included DDR2 slots and all.

It was an elegant but expensive endeavour. The add in board often cost as much as a new board since no one really carried them. Had two of them, good boards.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Different CPUs (at least different architectures) provide different functionality that informs what other hardware is present on the board. As one example, the PCIe lanes on a modern AMD system are provided by the 990FX chipset itself. The PCIe lanes on a modern Intel system are provided directly by the CPU. Further, AMD doesn't even support PCIe 3.0 on it's highest-end desktop platform. And I think AMD still uses a separate Southbridge chip, an arrangement that Intel abandoned years ago.

Basically the motherboard has to be designed around the CPU that's going in it.

These diagrams may help:

Z97 vs. 990FX