Noob needs help with Dream Music Production Build

Desire is to run lots of vsts (Kontact) in Cubase 8.

Willing to spend however much is needed.

Would like to see examples of builds ranging from "ok" to "ultimate"

I have familiarized myself with computer terminology and would appreciate all the bits and pieces to be explained. 

What is it exactly that you are want to run (what does it do)?

I guess in simplest terms, I need it to process alot of data at one time. Not necessarily for rendering audio, but for listening it to it live and making adjustments.

Imagine taking your computer and opening up hundreds of audio files and playing them all at once.

That's basically where we are going, I am running sample libraries (hundreds of pre-recorded sounds) and triggering them via music software.

Alot people just point to macs, but there has got to be a good pc build for this purpose.

Does this answer your question?

soo, mixing then, or what? Regardless, for this you would mainly need a bit more ram and a powerful processor, although probably not too powerful (probably in the $300 range of intel i7's). Does the quality of the audio matter too much?

so you will need a bunch of ram,a bunch of cores and pretty much a cheapo gpu.

So.. Give me a second

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Quality needs to be high definition, considering I will be doing mixing and mastering for movies, video games, and bands. 

Would be awesome to do some gaming, but I guess thats just a matter of a video card.  :P

Well, if you want to be doing all of that audio work in high quality, then you want to get the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard. Just a question if you don't mind, is this professional work?

Any motherboard today will give you the audio you need. I assume you'll be using headphones and/or studio monitors? The only main hardware concern you should have is the processor, which I would recommend an i7 but you can get away with an i5. An SSD is something else I'd recommend to load the OS and whatever DAW you'll be using, but that's a quality of life part just like the i7 CPU; but if you can afford it, get it.

You don't need a sound card.

You don't need a video card.

You don't need an unlocked CPU.

You don't need an AIO liquid cooler.

You don't need any extra fans.

Quality needs to be high definition, considering I will be doing mixing and mastering for movies, video games, and bands. 

Would be awesome to do some gaming, but I guess thats just a matter of a video card.  :P

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qstf4D A very good sound card, I put in a decent GPU since you said maybe a little bit of gaming idk.. You misewell build a another build for gaming and spend $100 less but if you can't then here. A ton of ram. Probs overkill... Idk how much storage you need but there's 2 tbs, I can easily make it a bunch more and I you want an SSD maybe. Basically a great CPU without burning a whole in your pocket lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Any motherboard today will give you the audio you need. I assume you'll be using headphones and/or studio monitors? The only main hardware concern you should have is the processor, which I would recommend an i7 but you can get away with an i5. An SSD is something else I'd recommend to load the OS and whatever DAW you'll be using, but that's a quality of life part just like the i7 CPU; but if you can afford it, get it.

You don't need a sound card.

You don't need a video card.

You don't need an unlocked CPU.

You don't need an AIO liquid cooler.

You don't need any extra fans.

If he's doing music editing and stuff a sound card is a very nice thing to have. He said a little bit of gaming and if he can't afford another PC the 280x will do him just good if he isnt playing like GTA lol, I agree no extra fans, no AIO liquid cooler, Processor it doesn't really matter if its unlocked or not

So what would you say if I went for this processor instead? http://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-19-113-347

I don't know for a fact but I think the hyper threading of the 5930k will benefit more then the extra 2 cores.

I will probably need somthing with firewire to run the audio interface I want

If he's doing music editing and stuff a sound card is a very nice thing to have. He said a little bit of gaming and if he can't afford another PC the 280x will do him just good if he isnt playing like GTA lol, I agree no extra fans, no AIO liquid cooler, Processor it doesn't really matter if its unlocked or not

Sound cards will literally do nothing for him. If anything they will give a false representation of the audio that he's going to be editing.

And I didn't see the video card part since it was't in the OP.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($73.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12G 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.99 @ Newegg) 
Optical Drive: Silverstone SOD02B DVD/CD Writer  ($65.77 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($87.88 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1123.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-16 03:45 EDT-0400

isn't that something like connecting multiple devices through one interfaces? Something in those lines.. Windows 8 supports it

What interface? I haven't heard of something using Firewire for a long time.

What would you say are the ultimate build computers for Audio Production only vs Audio Production and Gaming w/ultra high graphics?

Im poking around to get a feel for the marked.

Because I'll put the money in if it gives me the power. 

You shouldn't need anything fancy for that. An i5 with a cheap mobo and an ssd should be your base. You don't need a gpu unless you want to game too. A sound card is useless and they're a waste of money for all circumstances anyway.

Okay... so this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YHpwnQwould be your ultimatum... just saying

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

Yaaaawn Wrong section 

And for music you will need depending on how hard you will push it 

A quad core intel or six core amd chip 

a lot of ram start at 16 gigs go up from there 

and a larger SSD would be good 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

What would you say are the ultimate build computers for Audio Production only vs Audio Production and Gaming w/ultra high graphics?

Im poking around to get a feel for the marked.

Because I'll put the money in if it gives me the power.

For gaming Id go with this, it's cheap, will run basically anygame 1080p high / max settings. For music.. You said something about hundreds of files ect ect.. So basically you could get a CPU with a intergrated GPU in it to save a few hundred. How ever much storage you think you'd need, if you don't have to small of a budget, pretty much an i7-4790k with like 32gbs of ram and maybe 2tbs of SSD in Raid 0. Plus a be quiet air cooler so don't hear that atock cooler rawring away and like a NZXT h440 or something to Kindda keep the noise don't a little. This is mostly just guessing comas img to what you said with hundreds of files ect ect.. I'd try and get in touch with a music editor and see what hes got and stuff, come pack here and then maybe we can help tone the price a bit and still have the same machine basically.

EDIT- http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hy2Mxr I forgot the Gaming rig :)