dumb ways you thought PCs worked

This is why they say that the less you know, the more you brag.

My coworker was bragging to me about how his laptop would kick any desktop to the curb asked him what he had in it said it was a i7 asked him witch one he said he didnt know but that he had upgraded the ram to the fastest his motherboard supported asked him what speed he said it was so fast it had to be special ordered, asked him what graphics it had on it he says "I don't know but it has 2gb of ram on the graphics". Decided to end conversation there and go into warehouse to face palm myself so hard I almost broke my nose. 

Several years ago I thought that everything could take advantage of multi-core processors. I was like:

That's how I felt when my strix 970 scored 3007 in Valley Extreme HD, but it's dead now... Thanks psu.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

seems the more I learn the more I realize I don't know a damn thing.

Confident in my knowledge ... I believe I can conquere this class with ease ... I was mistaken ...

I always feel like there are more intelligent people around me , I was right , I became really close to them ... I was attracted to intelligent people like Magnets ... I've learn new things ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

To be honest even when i was a little kid i knew how Pcs worked like not in the literal sense but I knew it was all numbers and shit.

Confident in my knowledge ... I believe I can conquere this class with ease ... I was mistaken ...

I always feel like there are more intelligent people around me , I was right , I became really close to them ... I was attracted to intelligent people like Magnets ... I've learn new things ...

alot of people don't realize how many other people are struggling too. Suicide rate at ivy league is higher partly because of this.

To be honest even when i was a little kid i knew how Pcs worked like not in the literal sense but I knew it was all numbers and shit.

basically this is what i still chum it up as.

I fell into the GHz myth in the early 2000s.

Everyone did... Then Intel scammed everybody with the Pentium 4.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

alot of people don't realize how many other people are struggling too. Suicide rate at ivy league is higher partly because of this.

Uhm ... Can you phrase that again please ? I didn't fully understand ...

Oh ... So intelligent people are hardworking individual and they have a lot of pressure , this is what you were saying ? 

( I hope not ... ) Now I feel like being their friend even more to comfort them ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I once thought at a time......that there was only one programming language..ever.

And it was 1's and 0's....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I thought (at the time) that an FX-8150 was faster than an i7-2600K because of dem cores.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

When I thought that Having 2x pentium 2's at 450MHz was loads better than my friend's Single 800MHz P3. Boy was I wrong. 

Pfft, and don't even get me started on my tape drive I thought was amazing. 

(reads the other posts in this thread) I'M SO OLD. WHYYY. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Uhm ... Can you phrase that again please ? I didn't fully understand ...

Oh ... So intelligent people are hardworking individual and they have a lot of pressure , this is what you were saying ?

( I hope not ... ) Now I feel like being their friend even more to comfort them ...

just because you are struggling doesn't mean everyone else is doing good. Its great you found smart people. This isnt the case most the time. I wasn't trying to comment on your friends or yourself, just a general statement. And yes, doing very well then struggling is extremely bad mentally. Failure is difficult to deal with. Im sure you and your friends will do just fine. It just if you don't understand something chances are most of your class is in the same boat.

just because you are struggling doesn't mean everyone else is doing good. Its great you found smart people. This isnt the case most the time. I wasn't trying to comment on your friends or yourself, just a general statement. And yes, doing very well then struggling is extremely bad mentally. Failure is difficult to deal with. Im sure you and your friends will do just fine. It just if you don't understand something chances are most of your class is in the same boat.

My bad ... That Confident in my knowledge ... I believe I can conquere this class with ease ... I was mistaken ... thing was suspose to be in quote ...  It was suspose to be a joke ... But sadly the way I say it made it looked like I was being a cocky , selfish asshole ... 

Oh okay ...  Thank you for saying that ... 

And yes , you've touched the memories that I tried to forget ... I was doing good in Math but then suddenly a 3/10 shows up , it just shatters me completely ... I can barely understand math because of it ... I tried to motivate myself by a quote in a book : " I have no way of going back , I have to keep on moving . " 

Anyway , we are hijacking the thread again ...  :mellow:

also when i thought amd was good

My Build: 4690k @ 4.7 GHz, ASUS Strix 970 @ 1316 MHz, H105, Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1600 MHz, H440, RM750

also when i thought amd was good

They were ... 

Wait, so there aren't little people in my computer running the computer like it looks llke on the intel adverts?

(Seriously though that was the case for a while)

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

I thought that dual core meant you had 2 processors in 1, so 1 dual core 4GHz processor would be like having a single core 8GHz processor. And quad core... you get the point. In my defense that was 10 years ago.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

When I was 14 I thought all you had to do was drag the iso file onto the CD drive to burn it. I was so confused when it would not boot off the CD.

What? That's not how it works?

I want to copy games for a friend

but the size is 30MB, no floppy drive can handle that

bought 13 floppy disk, SPLIT ZIP it, got 1 error whole failed.

I've tried.... over and over, and finally find something called "shortcut"

I create shortcut to floppy and it doesn't even use whole capacity of 1.44MB floppy disk, I tried to do trial and error, and it flawless, felt like a genius.

brought it to friend place, "cannot find executable file" 

tried to find reason why it didn't work, I just can't comprehend it back then.

nowdays? we probably didn't realize that we carry 2-32GB drive all the time.

years later, every time I remember this... there must be millions people do the same thing.

When I had a Pentium 3 750mhz/192MB RAM PC, I added a Sony CD rewriter - I'd guess it was 2001/2002.

I bought RW discs so that I wouldn't need to use more than 1 CD for a given amount of time. Used the supplied software to burn an "Audio CD" and got trolled, partially, because it let me add about 150 MP3 files, but it didn't work out how much time remained on the disc, it just failed to burn. I wish I could remember what that software was called.

Anyway, 17 attempts to burn a CD, I finally got hold of a copy of Nero Burning ROM, made an audio CD, then learnt that RW discs were not compatible with most CD players; none of mine were, anyway.

Also, I did try "stealing" Office for Windows 95 when I had my first PC in 1999/2000 (second hand DX-2 66MHz, 16MB RAM) by saving the shortcuts for Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook to a floppy disk and being beyond disappointed when they wouldn't load.

The last time I got trolled or caught out by my ignorance of modern computing was at the jewellery factory I used to work at. By this time, Windows 7 was mainstream. One of our engraving machines was powered by a Pentium 3 Dell PC which ran Windows 98 first edition and it required new drivers to be installed for a new piece of hardware. I took a USB stick with me with the drivers on it, plugged it in and was immediately reminded that Windows 98 had no native support for mass storage drives built in. So I had to go to the nearest PC shop and buy some blank CDs and burn a disc with all the drivers we needed.

Man - all good experience for the journey!

When i was 4-5 years old i thougth that motherboards and all other cirqit boards were green to hide all the tiny grinches running around with a usb drive to transfer data....

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

- back in the days of 486 CPUs most cases came with a TURBO button next to power. It even showed an increase in "Mhz" from 100 to 133.

For years I thought this was like overclocking while In fact the button did something totally different. It activated the additional L3 cache if installed in the CPU. Back in the days these were sold and mounted separately.

- Windows 95 having true multi user support. What a joke .. I always hit cancel during login and shut down the computer as fast as possible just because our teacher said it will blow up if we don't log in with user and password.