How to decrease CPU Usage - GTA5

Comessy

So whenever I play GTA my CPU usage is always at 100%. Even with Vsync on. My GPU barely gets beyond 70%. 

I need to know what setting are CPU intensive that I can turn down? I have everything on very high, msaa off, advanced settings off

Don't go saying "There's a background program using the CPU!" because that's not the case. I've checked and GTA is using 95% of the CPU and chrome/other stuff got the other 5%.

Temps are all fine, 55 on the CPU, 65 on the GPU

Ram usage is 7.8GB

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

interesting... well i don't understand why you want to use less cpu if the temps are completely fine and you are getting proper (not faulty/bottlenecked) frame rates. Otherwise, I have a feeling the advanced graphics have some impact on cpu. I'm not really sure.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

interesting... well i don't understand why you want to use less cpu if the temps are completely fine and you are getting proper (not faulty/bottlenecked) frame rates. Otherwise, I have a feeling the advanced graphics have some impact on cpu. I'm not really sure.

I get massive frame dips into the 20s

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Set graphical settings to the highest, play at higher resolution.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

So whenever I play GTA my CPU usage is always at 100%. Even with Vsync on. My GPU barely gets beyond 70%. 

I need to know what setting are CPU intensive that I can turn down? I have everything on very high, msaa off, advanced settings off

Don't go saying "There's a background program using the CPU!" because that's not the case. I've checked and GTA is using 95% of the CPU and chrome/other stuff got the other 5%.

Temps are all fine, 55 on the CPU, 65 on the GPU

Ram usage is 7.8GB

i have the same issue with my i5 3570K, it dropped about 10% by taking out my second card, and it also drops to about 25-30% from 85-95% with vsync on half (30fps) so it seems like it has to do with framerate, i've had a ticket open with Rockstar for the last two weeks (only 1 week actually talking to someone) so if i get a working solution i'll let you know.

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700 CPU Cooler - Cooler Master ML240R Motherboard - ASUS X470-PRO RAM - Team Group Vulcan 2400Mhz 16GB GPU - EVGA RTX 2070 Black SSD - Kingston A400 120GB, ADATA SU650 1TB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Case - Fractal Design Define C Keyboard - Corsair K60 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech LS21 2.1 w/ sub Headphones - ATM 50X Racing Wheel - Logitech G27 Monitors -  ASUS VS228H-P x2

Yea, i5's are too slow for this game. I keep saying that but no one wants to believe it. Distance scaling and population density are definitely CPU intensive. I'm not sure about the other settings.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Yea, i5's are too slow for this game. I keep saying that but no one wants to believe it. Distance scaling and population density are definitely CPU intensive. I'm not sure about the other settings.

My i5-4690k at 4.4Ghz seems to handle it just fine. Running around 75fps average with only FXAA, everything maxed except very high grass and only high resolution shadows.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

No one wants to believe it because hundreds of thousands of people are playing it, most of whom are certainly not using brand new i7's. Besides, the benchmarks don't exactly back up that assertion, either.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

My i5-4690k at 4.4Ghz seems to handle it just fine. Running around 75fps average with only FXAA, everything maxed except very high grass and only high resolution shadows.

Tbh I don't care if you think it runs fine, I care about numbers. And they're not good.

3EDo3FW.png

If you think that's fine then good for you. I don't because frametimes spike up to console frametimes.

No one wants to believe it because hundreds of thousands of people are playing it, most of whom are certainly not using brand new i7's. Besides, the benchmarks don't exactly back up that assertion, either.

They tested CPUs at 1600p lol. I'm playing with an i5 too. It's not unplayable, but it's not really smooth either. Take a look at the graph above.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

your i5 is broken

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

your i5 is broken

what do you mean broken?

my 4 year old i5 2500k can max this game out at 1440p and play it at all high settings at 4k where my gpu is the bottle neck.. ive even seen the Intel pentium g whatever it is play this game at 1080p..

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

looks the same to me

https://youtu.be/a0PGunf0Z2c

Again, they were GPU bound. It's not a proper way to test CPUs.

what do you mean broken?

the guy i quoted sad that i5s arent good in gta 5

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

yet the recommended specs by Rockstar say an i5 3470...

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700 CPU Cooler - Cooler Master ML240R Motherboard - ASUS X470-PRO RAM - Team Group Vulcan 2400Mhz 16GB GPU - EVGA RTX 2070 Black SSD - Kingston A400 120GB, ADATA SU650 1TB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Case - Fractal Design Define C Keyboard - Corsair K60 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech LS21 2.1 w/ sub Headphones - ATM 50X Racing Wheel - Logitech G27 Monitors -  ASUS VS228H-P x2

i kinda have the same experience with this game...in my case i5 isn't enough for this game - driving in the city causes fps drops to like 45fps while CPU usage is 90-100%

Again, they were GPU bound. It's not a proper way to test CPUs.

I think the thing you need to look at is a GTX980 is bottlenecking an overclocked i5. Regardless i7 and SLI 980s which your basicly recommending are starting to end up in dream PC area money wise.

Hmmm. i5's are too slow for this game? Well thats stupid. If i5's are not good than my fx 8350 should suffer like hell. But it doesnt.

CPU: AMD FX 8350 | GPU: AMD R9 270 Windforce | MOBO: ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB | Case: X Predator X1 |CPU COOLER: Hyper T4

NAZIS WILL RISE.

Mine isn't too slow for the game,....My locked i5 @ 3.9Ghz does not hit 100% except for a random spike here or there (still giving full GPU usage)...., it's pretty high in the high 80's to low 90's, but never seen it pegged at MAXCPU for anything over a second...then it's back to average CPU usage of 80-90% again.

GPU is always at 99-100% (R9-290 @ 1100Mhz) Playing @ 1080p @ Ultra spec 2xMSAA /w no advanced settings.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

My 3570K @ 4.8Ghz hit 98-100% CPU usage on all core when playing GTA 5 @ 1080p. At 1440p it's not as high, but pretty close. 

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal