R9 280 Bottlenecking?

Go to solution Solved by The Toaster,

I'd say a tad bit in some AAA titles or games that are very cpu demanding.

You could upgrade to a fx-6300 when dx12 comes out. It is suppost to make amd less garbage.

I would recommend getting a large upgrade to an i5.

Hey guys!

I was looking into the R9 280, which seems like it's a pretty good price for what it is. I currently have an A10-6800K and I'm a little worried that it will bottleneck the R9 280, since it's more of an entry level APU.

So IS the A10-6800K going to bottleneck the R9 280? If so, what processor in the AMD line would be a good replacement?

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

Laptop: 2023 Macbook Pro 16" - M2 Max | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD

Should be fine dude. An upgrade to an 8320/50 would be good though.

It will to an extent in CPU intensive games. You could see the difference by swapping it in your other rig with the 4690k. Overall it should be fine. To get an idea go to youtube and search for gameplay videos using the terms " HD 7950, R9 280, Athlon X4 750k/760k, and A10 6800k". There's nothing AMD has worth upgrading to.

I have multiple friends who use R9 280's in their setups, and none of them get bottlenecks.  Question, though: Would you be cross-firing the integrated GPU on the A10 with the R9280?  If you are, I feel like you might get some bottlenecks.

You could upgrade to a fx-6300 when dx12 comes out. It is suppost to make amd less garbage.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

I have multiple friends who use R9 280's in their setups, and none of them get bottlenecks.  Question, though: Would you be cross-firing the integrated GPU on the A10 with the R9280?  If you are, I feel like you might get some bottlenecks.

That's impossible to do.

The only apu crossfire is Kaveri to a 240 or 250.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

No he would be running it discrete. Also your friends might have a different computer from the OP, play at a different resolution, and play different games. They also might not know if they have a bottleneck.

I'm disabling the integrated graphics once I make a decision on a card :)

No he would be running it discrete. Also your friends might have a different computer from the OP, play at a different resolution, and play different games. They also might not know if they have a bottleneck.

It actually is possible to force your integrated graphics to work with discrete graphics. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz | EVGA RTX 2060 SUPER | MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon | G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB @ 3200MHz C14 | EVGA G3 650W

I'm disabling the integrated graphics once I make a decision on a card :)

It actually is possible to force your integrated graphics to work with discrete graphics. 

It's likely when you plug in your graphics card the integrated graphics will be auto disabled.

You can't compare apples to oranges. The 7850k is of the newer, faster Kaveri line.

It shows that there's a  bottleneck even with the new faster apu's. So in that way yes you can compare but whatever. :rolleyes:

Let's not assume...and DX12 is still a ways away

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

That's impossible to do.

The only apu crossfire is Kaveri to a 240 or 250.

Ok.  Not a huge AMD user myself, so I didn't know.

Would Star Citizen be considered AAA? My initial plan was to go with an R9 270X but people said even that wasn't going to be enough.

Thanks for all the helpful information guys! :D