HELP Having trouble with new Intel 750 Pcie SSD

Go to solution Solved by Aibohphobia,

I'm getting about the same numbers in AS SSD.

It's a known issue with the 750, most motherboards take longer to POST with NVMe enabled and it negates the faster speed of the drive when it comes to boot times.

The 3.3 version of Intel SSD Toolbox that works with this drive is not available yet. You can use the Intel SSD Data Center Tool if you need to perform operations on the drive: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Data-Center-Tool

Hi. 

So i recently bought the new Intel Pcie 750 SSD. Which uses the Nvme standard.

Firstly i checked whether my Motherboard supported the SSD and it did. (MSI x99s gaming 9)

So i've installed win 8.1 and everything seems ok. 

But that's it. I dont feel like i boot up that fast, not as fast as i really wanted it to. So i looked into it, made sure T.R.I.M was enabled. Checked if Fast Boot was. But it really didnt seem to impact the start up time that much. Then i benchmarked the sucker and found a comparison online, and i get lower write speeds than other, and about the same read speeds. but a lower overall score. (using AS SSD benchmark)

I have several HDD and a spare SSD installed on my system. But The HDD has literally nothing on them, and has nothing to do with the boot sequence to do. The SSD (Samsung EVO840) only has like one game installed.

When i launch Intel Toolbox it doesn't really recognize the PCIE SSD, it knows it's name, but i'm unable to update the Firmware. So i downloaded it from Intel's website, and installed it. I didn't feel any difference.

It feels like buying a brand new graphics card and not be able to install the driver for it. Yeah it shows the screen, and yeah it can handle something. But it doesnt feel like it's using it's full potential.

What can be affecting my boot time? i feel like its just as fast or maybe a bit slower when i had the SATA SSD installed. 

Or did i just expect to much from Pcie nvme????

I have attached Screenshots of AS SSD and Intel Tooltip.

EDIT* startup time is 37.5 seconds from power bottom press until win 8 is fully loaded.

post-226292-0-89652500-1431357208.png

post-226292-0-99736300-1431357211.png

Up to a certain point, your senses will not be able to detect the speed of the drive. Update bios?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Up to a certain point, your senses will not be able to detect the speed of the drive. Update bios?

BIOS is updated, and should support Nvme.

You are on x99 post time take quite a lot longer compared to mainstream z97 for comparison i believe it has something to do with DDR4 and the checks it runs. 

According to Ryan from PCPER you should install the 750 Series Drivers from Intel's website in order to get that extra performance.

According to Ryan from PCPER you should install the 750 Series Drivers from Intel's website in order to get that extra performance.

Yeah i might have been a bit unclear there :) i've already downloaded and installed the Drivers. Didn't really make a difference.

You are on x99 post time take quite a lot longer compared to mainstream z97 for comparison i believe it has something to do with DDR4 and the checks it runs. 

mhmmmm oh okay. That might be it then. 

Based on your benchmark your speed honestly look completely normal and at least from that alone, I don't see anything alarming.

A couple of notes on startup times from a cold boot though:

1. The motherboard does system checks that are independent of storage speed. These are things like detecting the CPU, RAM, and other components and doing a quick check to make sure they operational. Some of these may be able to turned off in BIOS some of them can't. Heck I have an old Gigabyte X58-UD7 that all it's system checks that you can't turn off have always taken a good 45 seconds before it even starts to read from the drive.

2. OS loading is primarily a small and random workload so for this you are looking more at your 4k speeds, which while still much faster than most SATA SSDs, it isn't the huge jump that you see in your sequential speeds.

Well thank you guys for the quick help :)

I'm gonna check out the BOIS settings, and see if i can remove some system checks.

Your boot time will depend on programs installed. For example when you first install Windows your boot times will be faster than when you start installing all your programs. A word of warning however...  From my testing installing bloatware (such as Asus's AISuite) will increase your load times considerably.

Its also worth checking for Fastboot and make sure that's on. 

Another random question, you dont have Windows installed on MBR format and not GPT or anything like that? :P

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Your boot time will depend on programs installed. For example when you first install Windows your boot times will be faster than when you start installing all your programs. A word of warning however...  From my testing installing bloatware (such as Asus's AISuite) will increase your load times considerably.

Its also worth checking for Fastboot and make sure that's on. 

Another random question, you dont have Windows installed on MBR format and not GPT or anything like that? :P

Well it's installed on the GPT standard. I'm pretty sure that's the that's "best" right?

I'm getting about the same numbers in AS SSD.

It's a known issue with the 750, most motherboards take longer to POST with NVMe enabled and it negates the faster speed of the drive when it comes to boot times.

The 3.3 version of Intel SSD Toolbox that works with this drive is not available yet. You can use the Intel SSD Data Center Tool if you need to perform operations on the drive: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Data-Center-Tool

Wow very cool dude thanks :)