Safe to use radiator without fans?

Hey guys, I finally finished my water cooling loop (specs in sig) and I'm currently in the leak testing phase. While getting all the wiring ready I noticed that the wires for the fans in my 240 rad that I mounted on the bottom of my 800D with some modding are too short to get to the motherboard and I can't seem to find any 4-pin adapters or extenders (the fans are corsair SP120s). I also have a 360 rad mounted on the top with 3 fans, which I could connect without any problems. So my question is, will my 360 rad + 240 without fans cool my system enough for those few days before I get an extender or adapter? I'm cooling a CPU (3930k) and 2 GPUs (GTX Titans). 

If you guys are interested I can post some pics of the system, it looks pretty nice! Thanks for the help!

Edit: Obviously I can hold out on overclocking until I get the fans running.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Short answer no.

No, soon as the liquid heats up there goes all your cooling capacity and temps skyrocket. 

YES!

DO IT!!

Watch those titans burn!

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

looney, on 16 Jul 2013 - 9:21 PM, said:

YES!

DO IT!!

Watch those titans burn!

Burn baby burn!

With the 360 with fans running you probably will be fine as long you don't run benchmarks, though you might want to undervolt everything a little and ramp up the top fans.

haha you beat me to it! :)

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Well you could in theory do it if you happen to have a MASSIVE radiator and an extremely powerfull pump.

But yea short anwser is no

Interested in Business and Technology

Well you could in theory do it if you happen to have a MASSIVE radiator and an extremely powerfull pump.

But yea short anwser is no

But he has fans on his 360 rad. Only his 240 would be without fans... I think many people here misread that. (I did first too)

He couldn't game on it. But he could definitely browse if he ramps up the fans. Depending on his motherboard he could also disable one card (or both) and use just the CPU.

But he has fans on his 360 rad. Only his 240 would be without fans... I think many people here misread that. (I did first too)

He couldn't game on it. But he could definitely browse if he ramps up the fans. Depending on his motherboard he could also disable one card (or both) and use just the CPU.

I would still worry about dual titans and a 3930k @ 4.5GHz running on a single 360 rad.

At full load I would be doubtful it wouldn't overheat. Not to mention a lot of (XSPC) reservoirs can fall apart when the coolant reaches >60C and the pump could overheat if the coolant was that hot.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

:O well he could do that ofc but it would be kinda stupid cause the fans of the 360 have to work way harder and that will result in more noise whereas running the loop just normal will result in better acoustic performance

Interested in Business and Technology

:o well he could do that ofc but it would be kinda stupid cause the fans of the 360 have to work way harder and that will result in more noise whereas running the loop just normal will result in better acoustic performance

He said it would be for only one week.

I would still worry about dual titans and a 3930k @ 4.5GHz running on a single 360 rad.

At full load I would be doubtful it wouldn't overheat. Not to mention a lot of (XSPC) reservoirs can fall apart when the coolant reaches >60C and the pump could overheat if the coolant was that hot.

Well, obviously he would have to/should disable turbo mode and undervolt his CPU right off the start. (meaning 3.4GHz or something - disabling HT would also help)

He shouldn't stress test or anything. Probably not even game. I don't know if any x79 boards have those "new" GPU on/off switches that some z87 boards have, but that would help a lot. 

Is that possible? Coolant reaching 60c+? I use a XSPC DDC acrylic tank res lol. Only cooling a 3770K at 4.5 but load temps on prime blend are 70. Amb 30. That should be safe I assume..0.O

Is that possible? Coolant reaching 60c+? I use a XSPC DDC acrylic tank res lol. Only cooling a 3770K at 4.5 but load temps on prime blend are 70. Amb 30. That should be safe I assume..0.O

This was only directed at this particular case. You are fine.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

i think you guys are blowing this out of proportion...  just turn up the fans on the 360, turn on your comp, monitor your temps, if they're fine you can even turn down the fans...  maybe dial in stock clock speeds on your cpu just to be on the safe side.  all this of course i'm assuming you have a normal thickness rad, not some ultra slip 25mm thing...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

I don't understand everyone's answer of 'no' so quickly. If he holds off the overclocking, as he said, then it's very doable. It all depends on what size rads they are tbh and how much actual radiator space you have.

Stay on stock clocks, disable one titan if possible, and even if you can't, then I think you will be fine. Monitor your temps and keep an eye on things and you'll either be fine or catch an issue before it damages anything. It's not like your cpu or titans are going to fry as soon as you turn it on.

I have a slightly different setup that I ran fanless on BOTH rads under stress testing and never went above 70c... 3930k, dual 7870s, 480mm ut60, and 360mm ut60.

Try it and post results.

Desktop - 3930k | Rampage IV Extreme | 64gb Vengeance RAM | 256gb 840 Pro | 2x MSI 7870 | Corsair 900D | Creative SB Z | Sennheiser HD280 | Logitech G710+ | Razer Mamba | My salary's worth of water cooling.

Server/NAS - i5-4570 | Gigabyte Z97 Ud5h | 32gb Crucial 1600mhz | 500gb Samsung 850 evo | 4x 4tb WD Reds | Corsair H80 | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows 7 Pro |

That thing is a beast. Still not needed for a few days of missing 2 fans though ;)

Desktop - 3930k | Rampage IV Extreme | 64gb Vengeance RAM | 256gb 840 Pro | 2x MSI 7870 | Corsair 900D | Creative SB Z | Sennheiser HD280 | Logitech G710+ | Razer Mamba | My salary's worth of water cooling.

Server/NAS - i5-4570 | Gigabyte Z97 Ud5h | 32gb Crucial 1600mhz | 500gb Samsung 850 evo | 4x 4tb WD Reds | Corsair H80 | Bitfenix Shinobi | Windows 7 Pro |

I know I'm late but

Short answer : no

Long answer: yes but only if you under volt everything and don't do anything other than web browsing and don't have your rig running more than 1 hour you should be fine

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

What will you be doing on the PC for the few days? I would be a little worried if you wanted to go hardcore gaming but you can just test the temps to see how it reacts under load. Disconnect one of the gpu power connectors so your only running one titan anyway.  If you're really worried load into the bios first and you will be able to see what temps your cpu is hitting. Leave on for an hour to see if the temps go up. That will give you a good idea to base it off. Install the OS and watch the temps using hwmonitor and msi afterburner. Simple as that. Use common sense to tell you if it's not safe. You will be fine at that.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I know I'm late but

Short answer : no

Long answer: yes but only if you under volt everything and don't do anything other than web browsing and don't have your rig running more than 1 hour you should be fine

another example of blowing it out of proportion... he doesn't need to undervolt anything.  the "general" watercooling rule is one 120 fan cool rad area per heat source, he as 3 heat sources and a 360 rad full of fans, plus a 240 rad with no fans...  all he has to do is turn up the fans on the 360 more than they'd normally run at

I'd like to hear the long answer to all of these short answer no's... he has enough cooling to use his pc normally without freaking out.  

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's