Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu

So I recently purchased a gtx 980 (04G-P4-1982-KR) and the new Acer XB270HU monitor.  That is the 27", 1440p, 144Hz g-sync one.

Ever since I started using this monitor (more specifically, the display port) I have been having random screen flashing.  It only happens once every few hours, but there is never any evidence that it happened.  The drivers did not crash, there is nothing in the event log.  It seems like it is a lower level hardware issue.  Also, while this is rarer, the screen sometimes gets fuzzy, like its showing 2 offset images.  I'm not sure how to describe it. I attached some pictures I took.  It is most apparent in text.

I had to take pictures because if I take a screen shot, once I reboot (which corrects the fuzziness) the picture I took are normal.
Through all of this, my secondary monitor on DVI never has either issue, and when booting up, it is the main monitor, the display port one not even connecting until windows boots.

I've been looking all over to find a solution but so far no luck.  I am using the latest driver, 350.12.  I heard it could be a bios problem, contacted evga support, got the updates bios so I am now running 84.04.31.00.80, still happening.  Most recently I learned of an issue with most display port cables having pin 20 connected, when it shouldn't be.  It sounds like this should mostly be for boot up and sleep issues, but not sure if any of the cables I have are VESA compliant. (they appear to have pin 20 in place though) 

Just to cover my bases, I have tried other monitors and display port cables.  DVI and hdmi connections are fine, display port seems to be the root issue, no matter the cables.
I'm honestly really frustrated.  I've spent almost $1500 on these two items, top of the line, and they aren't working right.  

Does anyone have any ideas short of switching to an AMD card and getting a free sync monitor?  I really don't want to, but what left is there?  I spent too much money to deal with a broken setup.

post-196398-0-24577500-1431228195.jpg

post-196398-0-62186200-1431228195.jpg

Well, on switching to an amd card...

Ask @Thracks on twitter, he is pretty high up in AMD (Marketing head?). and will love to use your story as "The gsync that failed"

He might be able too hook u up with freesync and a 290x

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

-snip-

Try the other Display port output.

If you have a spare GPU try that.

If neither of these work you may have to RMA a product.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Ask @Thracks on twitter, he is pretty high up in AMD (Marketing head?). and will love to use your story as "The gsync that failed"

He might be able too hook u up with freesync and a 290x

Wow, that's a great way to put it. You don't even know the OP's issue, which seems like either a defective display or a dying GPU port, and you want OP to send his "experience" to an AMD guy on Twitter to lie about to more people? Sweet.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Try the other Display port output.

If you have a spare GPU try that.

If neither of these work you may have to RMA a product.

This. Please, it makes no sense not to since it just sounds like a basic hardware issue. Shit happens, even when it costs this much. Talk to the companies that made the items and RMA them.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Wow, that's a great way to put it. You don't even know the OP's issue, which seems like either a defective display or a dying GPU port, and you want OP to send his "experience" to an AMD guy on Twitter to lie about to more people? Sweet.

If ya read the post from op -

Does anyone have any ideas short of switching to an AMD card and getting a free sync monitor? I really don't want to, but what left is there? I spent too much money for deal with a broken setup.

If ya read the post from op -

Does anyone have any ideas short of switching to an AMD card and getting a free sync monitor? I really don't want to, but what left is there? I spent too much money for deal with a broken setup.

I did read the post from OP, and you suggesting to get him to go to an AMD marketing head and tell him the story about "The gsync that failed" doesn't make sense.

Well I'll keep the AMD option in mind, but I'm not there yet.

I've tested a number of things with no luck so far.  Different ports have not fixed it.  Different cables.  Different monitor on display port.  RMA on the GPU seems the only option at this point, but the more I'm searching, this issue is popping up on a number of different cards and monitors, the only links being display port and the 900 series (no matter the brand).  I'm contacting evga to see what they think, but at this point, I'm not convinced a new card will fix it.

And if I keep going back and forth replacing cards hoping for a good one... I won't be able to return the monitor for very long.  If the issue is nvida cards, getting stuck with an $800 g-sync monitor would really suck.

Well I'll keep the AMD option in mind, but I'm not there yet.

I've tested a number of things with no luck so far.  Different ports have not fixed it.  Different cables.  Different monitor on display port.  RMA on the GPU seems the only option at this point, but the more I'm searching, this issue is popping up on a number of different cards and monitors, the only links being display port and the 900 series (no matter the brand).  I'm contacting evga to see what they think, but at this point, I'm not convinced a new card will fix it.

And if I keep going back and forth replacing cards hoping for a good one... I won't be able to return the monitor for very long.  If the issue is nvida cards, getting stuck with an $800 g-sync monitor would really suck.

What country are you in?  Some countries have really good consumer law. I.E The gsync component of the monitor will be covered even if the problem cannot be tied specifically to it. Did you buy them both from the same shop?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'm in the US.

GPU was purchased from Amazon.  Monitor from newegg with newegg premier.

Try unplugging your monitor for a minute or 2 and plugging it back it to see if that fixes the issue. I was having DP issues too on my 980 and found power-cycling the monitor fixed the issue.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

RMA the card if you've nailed it down to the DP acting up and have tried other GPU's, or if you don't have a spare GPU to use. Don't conclude that everything is faulty and you just need to switch entirely. Shit happens and you got a bad product. EVGA will replace it pronto.

I did read the post from OP, and you suggesting to get him to go to an AMD marketing head and tell him the story about "The gsync that failed" doesn't make sense.

Nvm...

I feel dumb...

Too much hype for the custom WC...

Nvm...

I feel dumb...

Too much hype for the custom WC...

Take pictures, post them. I want to see when this happens.

Though of course you would do it in the first place. Would this be before the X99 upgrade path then or after?

So you get the same issue with DP output on multiple monitors, regardless of what port you use on the GPU?

And rebooting the PC remedies the issue?  What about if you just power cycle the monitor by itself?

Does adjusting refresh rate or disabling gsync have any effect?

My guess is a defective card.

If it's worth anything I use a DP connection to my XB280HK and I have no issues remotely like this.  I wouldn't be so quick to blame the 9xx series when it could just be an unlucky draw.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Funny thing about that... If the fuzzy thing happens and I power cycle the monitor, it never comes back.  Its like once it drops off, the video card never sees it again as a live port.

I'll have to try turning off gsync, but it can go hours between incidents so its hard to test.

Anyone know a decent program for constantly recording your screen?  I'm curious if the blackouts would even be recorded since screenshots dont see the fuzz.

Shadowplay can record your desktop bro. But dang that's gonna take up some HD space recording for hours...WOOT. GL man.

That's a lot of bones for something to not work perfectly for years, I agree.

Take pictures, post them. I want to see when this happens.

Though of course you would do it in the first place. Would this be before the X99 upgrade path then or after?

Before...

Loop is on vrms, CPU and GPU.

Oderin stuff on 14 may from performance PC.

480mm rad!