Is my computer broken?

Fabrizzio

Hello everyone, I'm having a problem with my computer.

I have:

Intel i5 2500K with a Corsair H60 cooler

ASUS Z77 Motherboard

Ram 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz

GTX750Ti (no powersupply port needed)

Corsair CX600

I mounted this system back in 2013, with brand new parts and I'm swapping parts from time to time to keep it updated.

I've been using some more demanding application as in a game or video editing software, my computer shutsdown within minutes, this never happened before in any app even with some overclock.

This never happened before, and I don't know why it is only happening now, and it's starting to freak me out, as I already did a lot of stuff that I thought it would help to stop the problem.

As I said, it first started out of nowhere when I was in the middle of a League of Legends game, then after powering on, on windows loading it would go down again with no blue screen, but a black screen rather without any text.

Then I thought, maybe It's the fact that my processor is running too high, went to BIOS and changed to a powersaving mode, running on the most lower settings possible. It worked for a while, atleast it booted completely. Then again, as I played a game of Counter-Strike GO, after a minunte or less, went down AGAIN. Checked for virus, malwares, spywares, and as far as I know it's totally clean.

Changed ram speeds, checked the processor temperatures, everything normal or above avarage.

I'm giving up, I'm thinking this is powersupply related.

The following massage appears as it boots after shutting down: "Powersupply surges detected during previous power on. Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power suply unit."

Now I know that BIOS Voltage meeter can be misleading but the following appears:

CPU - 1,088V

3.3V rail - 2,900V

5V rail - 5,000V

12V rail - 11.900V or 12,000V

I don't know too much about this so I hope someone can explain to my noobish brain

Thanks in advance

Those voltages sound okay. Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

Sig under construction.

Do you have another PSU that you could pop in there to do some tests? If its the PSU, then that could help.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Tedster, I didn't tried that yet but since in my country it's a bit late I'm going to do it tomorrow morning.

hiyayhi unfortunately no I have not, well if the CMOS reset doesn't seem to work tomorrow I guess I'm considering buying another PSU.

If that is necessary what would you guys recommend? Since I don't run a power hungry graphics and I would love to save a couple of bucks on my purchase and  monthly bills.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Thank you very much guys, I've tried the CMOS reset and it works fine now.

Thank you very much guys, I've tried the CMOS reset and it works fine now.

Awesome!

Sig under construction.

I guess I'm going back on my word. It worked fine for a couple of hours, but then it shutdown again.

So I guess CMOS is now ruled out, leaving the PSU?

i had exactly the same issue, popped in the psu of my brother 600w and it was fine

so i bought another powersupply and it was solved

so i think or your psu is broken or its no delivering more than 250 watt for some weird reason

Red ​White ​Blue

i had exactly the same issue, popped in the psu of my brother 600w and it was fine

so i bought another powersupply and it was solved

so i think or your psu is broken or its no delivering more than 250 watt for some weird reason

Having a CX600 that doesn't deliver 600w? I currently have the same PSU in my build, and I actually got it used from a CAD workstation from back in 2013, about the time his PSU was manufactured. I guess his PSU was a bad one, or I am looking forward to mine going as well. :mellow:

but based on everything, you are looking at a new PSU in the near future. that or see if powering through a surge protector will fix it.

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/