Slow Laptop?

TheModMonster

Hello! I have an Asus DS31-X55C laptop and it worked pretty well. I mean its only an i3 2370M, but it got around 40Fps on normal or low settings. Now, It is really slow. It gets hot extremely easily. Something like watching a Youtube video will do it. (720p30fps). I have a feeling it is either the Hard drive or a faulty windows. In task manager, the 'System' thing is always at 60% and the whole thing is at 100%. I did run a Seatools Hard drive test, and it passed. Loading games, is a nightmare. I was trying to load Garry's Mod, it never worked. Not at least without crashing. It wasn't until I deleted all of my addons it went through the loading screen! What do you think it is? I used Anti-Malware bytes and removed my corrupted files. They were just like ad-related toolbars on firefox. I know some one that had to get their X55C hard drive replaced. Please ask questions if necessary!

My PC/ CPU: Intel i5-4690k with ColerMaster Hyper Evo 212 / Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / OS: Windows8.1 / RAM: G.Skill Ares Series 2x4 1600Mhz / Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Optical Drive: ASUS 24B1ST / Network: TP-Link WN881ND /////////////////////////// If I fail to respond to your questions, please message me! Thank you

Please install something like MSI Afterburner to monitor and tell us the temps you're getting.

Sounds like thermal throtlting.

Sig under construction.

Please install something like MSI Afterburner to monitor and tell us the temps you're getting.

Agreed. Do you keep your laptop on your bed or another fabric surface? Dust from those surfaces can get drawn into your system and can make it susceptible to overheating.

I will do that now, but I had speedfan open when I played games, they stayed in the 70sC

My PC/ CPU: Intel i5-4690k with ColerMaster Hyper Evo 212 / Motherboard: Asus Z97-AR GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / OS: Windows8.1 / RAM: G.Skill Ares Series 2x4 1600Mhz / Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Optical Drive: ASUS 24B1ST / Network: TP-Link WN881ND /////////////////////////// If I fail to respond to your questions, please message me! Thank you

Agreed. Do you keep your laptop on your bed or another fabric surface? Dust from those surfaces can get drawn into your system and can make it susceptible to overheating.

No :P I am no noob to laptops. This just really stumped me.

Oops... Deleted

I ran Heaven Benchmark 4.0 with MSI After Burner in the background. I ran at DX9 at low settings (720p). Its average frames were 12... the temps were an everage of 72C. But at the end they hit 80C. What do you guys think? Help is very much appreciated  :D

I ran Heaven Benchmark 4.0 with MSI After Burner in the background. I ran at DX9 at low settings (720p). Its average frames were 12... the temps were an everage of 72C. But at the end they hit 80C. What do you guys think? Help is very much appreciated  :D

Try messing with your Power settings. Make sure everything is favouring max performance?

Sig under construction.

Try messing with your Power settings. Make sure everything is favouring max performance?

Done did... :D

Are all your cores running at max frequency? Are you running out of RAM during normal use? Is your HDD really fragmented? Are you running a security suite program at all times?

If you really don't think it's dust/age, maybe try nuking it and doing a clean install of your OS? That will wipe out everything that has accumulated over the years and it usually works pretty well when I do it. Doubt it will fix the overheating though.

Are all your cores running at max frequency? Are you running out of RAM during normal use? Is your HDD really fragmented? Are you running a security suite program at all times?

If you really don't think it's dust/age, maybe try nuking it and doing a clean install of your OS? That will wipe out everything that has accumulated over the years and it usually works pretty well when I do it. Doubt it will fix the overheating though.

Yes, I usually stay around 80%, Yes I did a few months ago and haven't used much since. Windows Defender is my only AntiMalware program.

It is not dust. I took it apart it is clean. I guess I will try a clean install. I don't really care about my files. Can anyone else think of something else before i do this?

Anyone?

I ran the CMD /SFC Scannow. It said I had corrupted files that were unfixable or something? Here is the log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1lpevptost6pzc/CBS.log?dl=1

We use HDD Scan 3.3 - Reads Smart Status and does surface scans like MHDD. HDTune will show you how many run time hours your hard drive is (based on if it is set to ACHI in the BIOS).

That's a whole lot of reading for me to scroll through. lol

Usually when you have slow speeds you have to factor in:

A: does it still have the original hard drive

B: do you have malware or virus scans going on

We use HDD Scan 3.3 - Reads Smart Status and does surface scans like MHDD. HDTune will show you how many run time hours your hard drive is (based on if it is set to ACHI in the BIOS).

That's a whole lot of reading for me to scroll through. lol

Usually when you have slow speeds you have to factor in:

A: does it still have the original hard drive

B: do you have malware or virus scans going on

A: Yes?

B: No

If it's hitting those kinds of temps it's probably time to open it up and give it a good dusting. Dirt, dust and crud likes to collect around the exhaust fan and on the heatsinks which severely compromises their efficiency.

Also a good time to re-paste the CPU core with some high quality MX-4.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

I miss read the part where loading games is a nightmare. Also pairing the information that you still have the original hard drive in the machine....sounds like the hard drive is either going to crap or seriously slowing down.

I would advise to purchase a new laptop hard drive (7200rpm) and reinstall the OS on it. The temps are about normal for laptop gaming. I would say to go ahead and purchase a cooling pad to help keep laptop running cooler.

Sounds like malware.
Since you said you don't care about your files, go ahead with the re install.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

If it's hitting those kinds of temps it's probably time to open it up and give it a good dusting. Dirt, dust and crud likes to collect around the exhaust fan and on the heatsinks which severely compromises their efficiency.

Also a good time to re-paste the CPU core with some high quality MX-4.

I miss read the part where loading games is a nightmare. Also pairing the information that you still have the original hard drive in the machine....sounds like the hard drive is either going to crap or seriously slowing down.

I would advise to purchase a new laptop hard drive (7200rpm) and reinstall the OS on it. The temps are about normal for laptop gaming. I would say to go ahead and purchase a cooling pad to help keep laptop running cooler.

Sounds like malware.

Since you said you don't care about your files, go ahead with the re install.

Thank you guys for helping. I will first reinstall the OS. If that doesn't help, I will buy a new HDD, then thermal compound. Thank you so much.

@Nerdboy

@TDP_Equinox

@ApolloX75

I just did a System Refresh. I ran Heaven Benchmark 4.0 at the same settings. The results were... The same. HOWEVER; the graphics just looked better. Right now I am installing steam, to see if can load Garry's Mod with all of my addons.

@Nerdboy

@TDP_Equinox

@ApolloX75

I finally downloaded Garry's Mod with about 450 Addons. It did load them all. In about 3 minutes it loaded up a world (not bad). So I think the Refresh solved some things. However I lowered the settings to Medium and I hit 55Fps. Great! My temps got up to 75C though. But I know it was not a complete waste of time. I launched a 720p youtube video ON HIGH POWER SAVING MODE! It launched without lag! I used to lag on Balanced! I think there may be a bit more dust. So when I get my hands on some bottle'd air, I hope it will stop getting so HOT! (Most laptops now days, don't get that hot on FULL load.)

@Nerdboy

@TDP_Equinox

@ApolloX75

I finally downloaded Garry's Mod with about 450 Addons. It did load them all. In about 3 minutes it loaded up a world (not bad). So I think the Refresh solved some things. However I lowered the settings to Medium and I hit 55Fps. Great! My temps got up to 75C though. But I know it was not a complete waste of time. I launched a 720p youtube video ON HIGH POWER SAVING MODE! It launched without lag! I used to lag on Balanced! I think there may be a bit more dust. So when I get my hands on some bottle'd air, I hope it will stop getting so HOT! (Most laptops now days, don't get that hot on FULL load.)

p.s.(original post TL;DR)

sound like your bad ordeal is over?

If you get around to it too, get your hands on thermal paste, and if you want, replace the original with yours. 

some tips:

1.try not to run a whole bunch of programs on start up. this can cause even a well build desktop to lag a bit.

2.do not have an abundant amount of programs open all at once, this can cause alot of the slowdowns.

3. If you are confident, disable your antivirus from running when you do not need it to.  This can improve performance 2 fold. 

4. Run CCleaner on a daily basis, this can improve start times, software boot times, and even improve read speeds from the HDD when you delete unused registry keys.

5. Plug in when playing games. higher quality games require more power to play. when running off battery, your laptop automatically throttles back the power usage, and when you try to play games, it will not perform well. when plugged in, your laptop is able to use all power it needs to play the games.

Hope the problems you had stays fixed ^-^

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 3.2GHz || GPU:(first release,used) MSI R9 270 OC || Motherboard:MSI Z97-G45 Gaming Motherboard || RAM: 8 GB G.Skill Sniper 1600 || Monitors: Vizio 22 in Ultra slim 1080p TV || Storage: Seagate barracuda 160 GB 7200RPM,(REFURB) 1TB toshiba 7200RPM || PSU: (stripped from 2013 CAD PC)Corsair CX600 build was under $420

BE SURE TO FOLLOW YOUR THREADS! READ THIS BEFORE POSTING IN TROUBLESHOOTING!! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/40334-read-before-asking-for-help/

Best cheapest way to get a laptop cooled down is get a small fan with 3 speed switch on it. Turn that sucker on high very close to the laptop vents and let it cool.