Intel CPU Overheating

My Intel i5 4690K Haswell is reaching 100 degrees celsius. The fan was loose, I re secured it, but to no avail, it still overheats. Curiously however, it doesn't turn off due thermal issues, and doesn't throttle. Programs are laggy and often do not respond. I have a suspicion that it is the fan that is broken, but could it also be the sensor? Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

•     | CPU- AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 Ghz | Motherboard - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB 1333mhx (2X8GB) | GPU - Asus Radeon R9 280 @ 980mhz | Case - Antec GX500 | Storage - Western Digital Purple 3TB 5400RPM | PSU - Corsair CX750M |

| Display - Asus VW246H 1080p @60Hz 2ms GTG | Keyboard+Mouse - Logitech S510 | Sound - Realtek Intergrated Audio :( | Case Cooling - 3x Antec Stock 120mm fans (Planning to add more) | Headset - Turtle Beach X12 with virtual surround | OS - Windows 7 64 Bit Pro | 

you need to replace the thermal paste every time you remount the cooler

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

What cooler are you using for it?

Regardless, even the stock cooler should show better results. Replace the thermal compound.

My Intel i5 4690K Haswell is reaching 100 degrees celsius. The fan was loose, I re secured it, but to no avail, it still overheats. Curiously however, it doesn't turn off due thermal issues, and doesn't throttle. Programs are laggy and often do not respond. I have a suspicion that it is the fan that is broken, but could it also be the sensor? Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

DON'T HAVE YOUR CPU RUNNING AT 100C! It will very quickly kill it what cooler are you using?

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Also its unlikely that the motherboard sensors would be damaged and the cpu voltage regulation neither.

Groomlake Authority

Try diferent app

Change toothpaste 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

if programs are laggy, it probably is thermally throttling.

I'd recommend removing the heatsink fully and reinstalling it with new thermal compound (reusing thermal compound results in bubbles, which are BAD). when thermal compound is squeezed out from a line or dot in the center, it squeezes out bubbles as well. I prefer the thin vertical line method for intel quad and dual cores, as they are a long vertical chip beneath the IHS.

Brah, Intel has very good thermal protection. It will not die so quickly.

Then why would it be it's not thermal throttling? I reckon the temp sensor is dead.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

What cooler are you using for it?

Regardless, even the stock cooler should show better results. Replace the thermal compound.

Using stock cooler, I don't have spare paste. It shouldn't be hitting 100C even with old paste on anyways should it?

•     | CPU- AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 Ghz | Motherboard - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB 1333mhx (2X8GB) | GPU - Asus Radeon R9 280 @ 980mhz | Case - Antec GX500 | Storage - Western Digital Purple 3TB 5400RPM | PSU - Corsair CX750M |

| Display - Asus VW246H 1080p @60Hz 2ms GTG | Keyboard+Mouse - Logitech S510 | Sound - Realtek Intergrated Audio :( | Case Cooling - 3x Antec Stock 120mm fans (Planning to add more) | Headset - Turtle Beach X12 with virtual surround | OS - Windows 7 64 Bit Pro | 

Then why would it be it's not thermal throttling? I reckon the temp sensor is dead.

Well I don't think its throttling, not sure, because my frequencies are normal, its still clocking up to 3.0 and up.

Temp sensors dead.

Temp sensors dead.

Temp sensors are very well made :/ but it can happen pretty rarely.

Groomlake Authority

Temp sensors dead.

Then what's the lag? It sometimes goes down to 80-90 if i put another external fan (like a fan for people), but shoots back up to 100 after some time.

Temp sensors are very well made :/ but it can happen pretty rarely.

And if its the temp sensor, could it be the motherboard one, cpu one or both?

And if its the temp sensor, could it be the motherboard one, cpu one or both?

Could be both :P but mostlikely motherboard.

Groomlake Authority

Could be both :P but mostlikely motherboard.

Thats what i thought, because CPU's are damage resiistent from physical movement from what i've heard.

Using stock cooler, I don't have spare paste. It shouldn't be hitting 100C even with old paste on anyways should it?

But if you've taken the cooler off at all, even just a little bit you need to replace it. Air pockets could be separating the cooler from the CPU.

In b4 auto-OC'd with software >_>

It shouldn't be, provided you haven't removed it and then reattached it without cleaning off the old thermal paste and applying new paste. If you're actively viewing the temperature and it is rising/falling the temp sensor is not blown, a blown temp sensor will have a static or null reading.

You are, in all likelihood, thermal throttling the shit out of your CPU and you will blow it eventually if you don't reduce the voltage manually for core and replace the TIM/stock cooler.

If you're hell bent on running your CPU without new TIM, at the very least turn down the CPU voltage and clocks.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |