Is internet techsupport just bullshit

shirokado

I called charter because my router wasnt sending off a clear connection, and i know its not dead, ive tested it on a different network before trying.

i called them saying i need a DNS server number, and that direct connection from modem to computer was working fine. This is what they responded with

"router is not supported by charter"

the router just happened to be fine running for over a year

and then he made me do a power cycle(ive already done like 4 times) and then plug the ethernet cable directly into my computer(which ive already said was a working solution) and he goes
"im happy to have restored  your connection"

why is tech support such bullshit..... correct me if im wrong, but all a router does is get the connection that the modem gives off via ethernet, then uses the CPU inside the router to create a wireless connection, nothing to do with compatibility. So am i just arrogant thinking i know more then the techsupport? or is techsupport just bullshit. 

BTW i found my DNS server. I just needed to get my hands on my mom's iMac and then find the numbers there.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

ISP support is fcking bullshit, not only do i get mad cause the guy is like, euuhmmm.. have you tried unplugging and plugging back in the modem? But i also pay 20euros for the call that in the end was completely useless, but if i want to bring a technician to my house to try and fix the problem, they ll charge me for that. GG WP ISP

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

yes it is BS i remember a guy from tech supp yelling at me D: i made him lose his job i was so angry :angry: he is lucky i didnt batarang ed him ;)

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

It is easier on the ISP to only support a small range of routers as it simplify s troubleshooting steps as most of the time the call center staff use scripted procedures to diagnose problems. 

I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here, but it's not as black or white as it looks.

Unfortunately, most ISPs have a very strict procedure regarding tech support and the guys on the phone MUST follow the script if they wanna keep their job. It sucks, I know, but that's how it is.

On the other hand, you may very well find a very skilled tech support person sometimes.