Just curious...

What are some of the side effects of not having the voltage to maintain a slight OC?

Obviously, if it's undervolted too much, it can cause freezing/crashing/etc. But are there side effects of not having enough voltage to push an OC without causing those issues?

I ask because I have an FX 6300 pushed to 4.0GHz on stock voltage. It's supposed to be able to go to 4.1 in "turbo" mode, but I discovered with some testing that it never actually gets there. It only ever went to 3.8GHz under load.

So after some research into how to OC an FX CPU, I decided to give it a shot, and found that I could push it to 4.0GHz with stock voltage without any apparent issues. I ran Prime95 for two hours without any errors and without my temps climbing above 40c. I've had no crashes or other apparent stability issues from this.

But lately, I've had some weird issues with games that used to run perfectly fine on stock settings. I used to be able to run BF3 on Ultra and it performed flawlessly. Now it feels really choppy... like I'm getting 30fps on average. BF4 is even worse... it's downright unplayable. Constantly stuttering and dropping from 60fps to >20 for no apparent reason, even on TDM servers with just a few people.

I'm going to be running some tests with MSI Afterburner later... but just thought I'd make this topic to get some extra info on what to look out for.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Have you tried going back to stock clock and seeing then?

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

VRM throttling?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

If it's stable there's no problem.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

VRM throttling?

This seems like a likely cause.

The FX chips are defaulted with a crap load of voltage. IIRC the 6300 will be pushing 1.4v out the box, might be wrong though. 

the reason you see 3.8 ghz under full load is simple, that is the way turbo is designed. 4.1 is the max turbo and is only achievable under 100% load on 1 core with the rest idle. run a single threaded benchmark and i'm sure you'll see the the turbo reach it. as more cores are loaded the max turbo drops. until all cores are loaded and 3.8 ghz is the max turbo.

if you overclock and don't increase the voltage one of two things will happen. you'll either have a stable system or you won't. that's pretty much it. if you wanted to overclock to your max turbo you could probably do it without needing to increase the voltage, if it isn't stable it shouldn't take much voltage to stabilize

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB