Linux distro for word processing and internet researching?

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a non-specific Linux distro for general word processing and looking at data, researching information, etc. to thrown on my older Toshiba laptop. I've been looking at (x)(l)ubuntu, openSUSE, Arch, mint, etc. but I don't have the time to install and explore every single one to see which works for me. I'm impartial but just want something that's easy to use being able to quick-launch the word processor, browser, you get the deal and just do work on it.

I do prefer the "Apple-esque" style that openSUSE has (for example) because it simply works faster in my limited use, but does anyone have any ideas? Ideally I would like something very lightweight to improve battery life.

Thoughts?

Always trying to find reason.

Lubuntu is the lightest of all.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Lubuntu is the lightest of all.

I like the idea that it's extremely lightweight, but it's too much like Windows in design which slows me down in usage. Do you know if it's possible to change the UI, somewhat?

Last time I tried Elementary and it was lovely distro :)

I am sorry for my english.

Just don't forget to throw OpenOffice or LibreOffice on there, so you can have a full funcitoning word processor. I don't remember if any of those distros come with one.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Last time I tried Elementary and it was lovely distro :)

Doesn't Elementary not have certain programs to be installed? Or am I just confused?

Just don't forget to throw OpenOffice or LibreOffice on there, so you can have a full funcitoning word processor. I don't remember if any of those distros come with one.

Oh course, that's my go-to when I'm not on Windows.

Ubuntu or Linux mint!

Mint has been very bland for me to use, might be why Lubuntu doesn't look too appealing to me.

Doesn't Elementary not have certain programs to be installed? Or am I just confused?

Oh course, that's my go-to when I'm not on Windows.

Mint has been very bland for me to use, might be why Lubuntu doesn't look too appealing to me.

ya Mint is really bland all white and such, not my favourite but it's easy to learn.

Not that I can recall it, skype, chrome maybe, but everything else works out of the box.

ya Mint is really bland all white and such, not my favourite but it's easy to learn.

I don't have a problem with a learning curve as long as it can be set up to make launching what I need quickly.

Not that I can recall it, skype, chrome maybe, but everything else works out of the box.

Hmm, I think I'll give it a try and see how my battery life is. I do like OSX so this might be good. Is it decently fast on slower machines?

Hmm. Debian lite maybe?

Isn't Debian, in any flavor, for network storage? (Slightly lost with all these distros out there that I've been trying to figure out.)

Isn't Debian, in any flavor, for network storage? (Slightly lost with all these distros out there that I've been trying to figure out.)

There are too many freaking distros can't remember every single one >< have to look it up but i think that it isnt.

Hmm, I think I'll give it a try and see how my battery life is. I do like OSX so this might be good. Is it decently fast on slower machines?

Not sure, tbh I don't use slow machines :) There are lighter options, but it's based on Ubuntu and felt pretty snappy when I tried, so you should be good to go.

I personally like xubuntu more than lubuntu, but once you have one you can easily install the other's interface and try it around so you find the onw you prefer. Both interfaces can be customized to look a lot like osx.

The nice thing about ubuntu and its derivatives is the outstanding out of the box font rendering, so for word processing it's perfect.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No, Debian is amazing distro, used for two years as my daily driver in university. Rock solid stable, but stable version always uses pretty old software.

There are too many freaking distros can't remember every single one >< have to look it up but i think that it isnt.

Yeah, Linux confuses me far too much. That's why I'm trying to get in to it much more now.

Not sure, tbh I don't use slow machines :) There are lighter options, but it's based on Ubuntu and felt pretty snappy when I tried, so you should be good to go.

Well, my laptop isn't slow per se, but I'd rather not bog it down opening a few tabs and some word processors to multitask. :D

Ubuntu actually derives from Debian. However, debian gets a lot more support on the server/networking side whereas ubuntu support is ubiquitous.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I personally like xubuntu more than lubuntu, but once you have one you can easily install the other's interface and try it around so you find the onw you prefer. Both interfaces can be customized to look a lot like osx.

The nice thing about ubuntu and its derivatives is the outstanding out of the box font rendering, so for word processing it's perfect.

This is good to know.

No, Debian is amazing distro, used for two years as my daily driver in university. Rock solid stable, but stable version always uses pretty old software.

One thing at a time. I've only got so much and slow internet. :P

Ubuntu actually derives from Debian. However, debian gets a lot more support on the server/networking side whereas ubuntu support is ubiquitous.

Ah..

I think you'll just have to try something out :) There's just too much out there and everyone will recommend something else. At the moment I'm using standard ubuntu myself, but I've been using some other distro's that use Xfce as it's desktop environment (like Xubuntu) and I liked those a lot too.

By the way, you're probably not really looking for a certain distro, but for a specific desktop environment. The different kind of ubuntus ship with the most common one though, so look at which one looks nicest to you and go for that one :) I'd stay with ubuntu or mint though, since these are the most common ones and work pretty much "out of the box".

Since you're looking for being able to launch smth quickly, but in a specific way, I'd recommend Xubuntu. You can install docker on it (looks like the OSX dock), so you can sort of mimic that. (plus Xubuntu is just pretty cool). I don't have any experience with openSUSE though. So if you still think it looks cool, just go for it :)

I think you'll just have to try something out :) There's just too much out there and everyone will recommend something else. At the moment I'm using standard ubuntu myself, but I've been using some other distro's that use Xfce as it's desktop environment (like Xubuntu) and I liked those a lot too.

By the way, you're probably not really looking for a certain distro, but for a specific desktop environment. The different kind of ubuntus ship with the most common one though, so look at which one looks nicest to you and go for that one :) I'd stay with ubuntu or mint though, since these are the most common ones and work pretty much "out of the box".

Since you're looking for being able to launch smth quickly, but in a specific way, I'd recommend Xubuntu. You can install docker on it (looks like the OSX dock), so you can sort of mimic that. (plus Xubuntu is just pretty cool). I don't have any experience with openSUSE though. So if you still think it looks cool, just go for it :)

I'm just looking for opinions on what would be good for a quick, basic OS. Thanks for the tip with docker on Xubuntu, I'll have to give it a try sometime later tonight if I'm able to, else on the weekend.

I'm just looking for opinions on what would be good for a quick, basic OS. Thanks for the tip with docker on Xubuntu, I'll have to give it a try sometime later tonight if I'm able to, else on the weekend.

Before I forget, pretty much all the distros let you make a "live USB", from which you can try out the OS and install it if you like. That way you can give it a try beforehand. You just have to think about the fact that in some distros and desktop environments (e.g. Xfce), a lot can be configured. So what you see at fist glance is not necessarily what you can end up with.

Anyway, to make my opinion a little more clear  (since you're looking for opinions :P): I like Ubuntu and Mint for their "works out of the box" feel. I also like Xubuntu, because of how it looks after configuring all your stuff. The only thing there is that you have to do your configuration. It's nothing to be scared of though. Never had any experience with Kubuntu, but the KDE desktop is more Windows-style oriented as far as I've heard. So perhaps that's not what you're after.

Have fun trying out linux :)

Before I forget, pretty much all the distros let you make a "live USB", from which you can try out the OS and install it if you like. That way you can give it a try beforehand. You just have to think about the fact that in some distros and desktop environments (e.g. Xfce), a lot can be configured. So what you see at fist glance is not necessarily what you can end up with.

Anyway, to make my opinion a little more clear  (since you're looking for opinions :P): I like Ubuntu and Mint for their "works out of the box" feel. I also like Xubuntu, because of how it looks after configuring all your stuff. The only thing there is that you have to do your configuration. It's nothing to be scared of though. Never had any experience with Kubuntu, but the KDE desktop is more Windows-style oriented as far as I've heard. So perhaps that's not what you're after.

Have fun trying out linux :)

I've planned to use Rufus to make live USBs, but I'm limited by a god-awful download speed right now. I'm okay with a Windows environment because it is familiar, but I would honestly prefer something similar to OSX instead because it's easier and quicker to use.