[rant]I'm tired of false geeks, aren't you?

Misanthrope

So first let me tell you a little bit about myself

-I like the star wars movies, they're fun. I don't feel like I need to constantly obsess about them or make incredible bad puns about the 4th of May

-I think some comic stories are neat, I don't feel like I need to obsess about movie plot points, inaccurate depictions or the overall quality of what it has now become the most common type of movie the industry puts out. And while we're at it, the reason why Dark Knight was a superior film is because it didn't wasted half the fucking movie on a boring origin story we fucking know anyway

-I don't watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dr Who, etc.

-I do watch other TV shows that have rabid, religious following like Twin Peaks, yet I don't obsess about them, I don't know all the dialogue by memory, I wouldn't cosplay as Agent Cooper, I wouldn't attend Twin Peaks conventions.

You can see where this is going: I like a lot of things in live: PC gaming, Metal music, some TV shows, etc. I don't think that obsessing about them is a good quality or in any way enhances my experience of all the media. I can like things, like a lot, yet I don't constantly put case pictures on my facebook feed, etc.

I got news for you people: the only reason why being a "geek" is being promoted right now it's pretty fucking simple: You're more likely to buy useless crap like Star wars plushies, Dr Who keychains, Marvel character coffee mugs. You might think it's cool that you're such a geek and join in the rest of the stupid motherfuckers everywhere "Oh may the 4th be with you!" but to me you sound the same as a little girl obsessed over Justin Beaver or One direction: you're every company's wet dream, you're the fucking whales of the modern era throwing your money away for stupid crap you don't need and only validates you socially because ironically enough, socially unacceptable behavior like reckless and obsessive pursue of a particular intellectual property is only becoming acceptable because companies have figured out you'll spend a lot of money to validate yourself as a geek.

If you want more proof go to an anime convention and look at the really creepy otakus over there, the smelly, awkward, rude idiots speaking broken japanese that use every other phrase to quote some stupid cartoon. That's what you're aspiring to be with all this geek culture revolution.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I like Star Wars. If I buy a Star Wars poster I'm the "whale of society by throwing away my money on stupid crap I don't need?" Or if I buy a new graphics card for games (which we technically don't need) then I'm the whale of society? People spend their money on what they want because it's their money and they earned it. They like it because they like the media, hobby, or interest. Not because of some capitalist scheme.

We're all geeks here. PC geeks. We will spend money on pc stuff because we like it.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I like Star Wars. If I buy a Star Wars poster I'm the "whale of society by throwing away my money on stupid crap I don't need?" Or if I buy a new graphics card for games (which we technically don't need) then I'm the whale of society? People spend their money on what they want because it's their money and they earned it. They like it because they like the media, hobby, or interest. Not because of some capitalist scheme.

You're comparing a poster to a graphics card? You need graphics cards to play the games. That would be the equivalent of you buying a new TV to watch the star wars releases on blue ray or something. A fair analogy would be you buying an Nvidia poster, an intel coffee mug, etc. This things are usually given away by this companies to promote their brand but others have figured out Well let's just fucking sell them, let em go with this "I'm such a geek" attitude.

-------

Current Rig

-------

---86'd---

That's what you're aspiring to be with all this geek culture revolution.

You need some sleep before you end up in a padded room :wacko:

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

You're comparing a poster to a graphics card? You need graphics cards to play the games. That would be the equivalent of you buying a new TV to watch the star wars releases on blue ray or something. A fair analogy would be you buying an Nvidia poster, an intel coffee mug, etc. This things are usually given away by this companies to promote their brand but others have figured out Well let's just fucking sell them, let em go with this "I'm such a geek" attitude.

Okay, we'll go with that argument. I really like nvidia. They have very interesting products. About half of all my builds have nvidia cards in them. So if I want to promote the brand that I personally love by buying and hanging a poster of them on my wall, I'm the scum of society? Hell, I even like the logo. It would be a nice decoration for my room. I'd love to have that poster. People don't buy things to fit in as a "geek". They do it because they like it. If I were to buy a branded poster, I would buy it because I like the poster and the brand.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

so....

-Not interested in Star wars

-I don't watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dr Who  - actually I flat out don't watch TV.

I might be rather confused...

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

I got news for you people: the only reason why being a "geek" is being promoted right now it's pretty fucking simple: You're more likely to buy useless crap like Star wars plushies, Dr Who keychains, Marvel character coffee mugs. You might think it's cool that you're such a geek and join in the rest of the stupid motherfuckers everywhere "Oh may the 4th be with you!" but to me you sound the same as a little girl obsessed over Justin Beaver or One direction: you're every company's wet dream, you're the fucking whales of the modern era throwing your money away for stupid crap you don't need and only validates you socially because ironically enough, socially unacceptable behavior like reckless and obsessive pursue of a particular intellectual property is only becoming acceptable because companies have figured out you'll spend a lot of money to validate yourself as a geek.

I kinda take offense to that. I mean, I really like Attack On Titan and Log Horizon, and I watch Doctor Who a lot because it is objectively very well thought out. and than suddenly, I am throwing my money away for stupid crap I don't need and only validates me socially because ironically enough, socially unacceptable behavior like reckless and obsessive pursue of a particular intellectual property is only becoming acceptable because companies have figured out you'll spend a lot of money to validate myself as a geek?

Wtf is this? I understand everyone is allowed to have opinions, but because I would buy a poster, a mug, or even just pay for an amazing TARDIS screensaver, that means that I am a horrible, badly socially disordered person?

If you want more proof go to an anime convention and look at the really creepy otakus over there, the smelly, awkward, rude idiots speaking broken japanese that use every other phrase to quote some stupid cartoon. That's what you're aspiring to be with all this geek culture revolution.

Cosplays and parodies are also for scumbags now apparently. Cool.

Also, the rude in that I bolded in your comment looks very ironic when read in the whole sentence.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

so....

-Not interested in Star wars

-I don't watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Dr Who  - actually I flat out don't watch TV.

I might be rather confused...

I mentioned one TV show already, Twin peaks. See how apparently I automatically don't watch TV just because I don't watch the popular shows right now and the geek culture shows like Dr Who?

-------

Current Rig

-------

[rant] I am tired of people labeling themselves or caring of labels.

Let me tell you about myself:

Too booring.

Conclusion:
Dont worry, be happy, ktxbye.

I mentioned one TV show already, Twin peaks. See how apparently I automatically don't watch TV just because I don't watch the popular shows right now and the geek culture shows like Dr Who?

Sorry, Never heard of it...

As mentioned above though, I feel that it's stupid to buy things for promotion that in all reality would otherwise be free (particularly for businesses- feel free to support non-paid devs and charities)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

So I'm the whale of society because in my room I have a couple maps of skyrim tarmriel and the first halo? I've always liked videogames since I can remember. Its not just some recent thing I've decided to do because it's socially 'cool,' no in fact I've always been like this. I enjoy doctor who, my grandfather used to play all the old episodes when I was at his house as a toddler. I enjoy video games and the memorabilia for them I have, I enjoy AL the little nerds things like my sonic screw driver remote control and my glamdring letter opener. Do I need any of these things? No. But I'd have rather spent my money on stuff I enjoy rather than brown clothing, utilitarian haircuts and state sponsored media. Part of living in a free country is being able to buy what you want, what makes you happy. But I guess to you, that just makes me a whale of society.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

-snip-

You know, Breaking Bad is an excellent show. It's amazing and has a very strong plot. Even years after the final episode, I often discuss that show with co-workers and friends. Because the show was groundbreaking. It's not a geek thing.

Wtf is this? I understand everyone is allowed to have opinions, but because I would buy a poster, a mug, or even just pay for an amazing TARDIS screensaver, that means that I am a horrible, badly socially disordered person?

That is the point: you're not. You are not a geek at all. In fact most people don't have the slightest idea of what a geek is. The point is that the only reason why being a geek is becoming socially acceptable is because companies figure out it sells merchandise, really well in fact. If you take 100 people that were going on about may 4th and showing their isolated tshirts and plushies and coffee mugs, I bet 95 of them are actually not geeks at all and own the odd item commemorating an IP they have only passing interest in at best. 

The other 5? Yeah those are the guys who have rooms of the house dedicated to star wars, own every single action figure ever released, have 3 foot long lego milenium falcons hanging from their ceiling and likely don't have a normal social life or normal social interactions because their obsession consumes every waking hour, and every dollar too. Those 5 are actually star wars geeks

-------

Current Rig

-------

So I'm the whale of society because in my room I have a couple maps of skyrim tarmriel and the first halo? I've always liked videogames since I can remember. Its not just some recent thing I've decided to do because it's socially 'cool,' no in fact I've always been like this. I enjoy doctor who, my grandfather used to play all the old episodes when I was at his house as a toddler. I enjoy video games and the memorabilia for them I have, I enjoy AL the little nerds things like my sonic screw driver remote control and my glamdring letter opener. Do I need any of these things? No. But I'd have rather spent my money on stuff I enjoy rather than brown clothing, utilitarian haircuts and state sponsored media. Part of living in a free country is being able to buy what you want, what makes you happy. But I guess to you, that just makes me a whale of society.

I failed to mention videogames because a lot of that swag started being rolled in with preorder and special edition bonuses. In the past this stuff was actually hard to get, now I can walk into any videogame store and find at least 5 different "collector's edition" big cases of games there.

-------

Current Rig

-------

you sound the same as a little girl obsessed over Justin Beaver

Justice Beaver*

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

That is the point: you're not. You are not a geek at all. In fact most people don't have the slightest idea of what a geek is. The point is that the only reason why being a geek is becoming socially acceptable is because companies figure out it sells merchandise, really well in fact. If you take 100 people that were going on about may 4th and showing their isolated tshirts and plushies and coffee mugs, I bet 95 of them are actually not geeks at all and own the odd item commemorating an IP they have only passing interest in at best. 

The other 5? Yeah those are the guys who have rooms of the house dedicated to star wars, own every single action figure ever released, have 3 foot long lego milenium falcons hanging from their ceiling and likely don't have a normal social life or normal social interactions because their obsession consumes every waking hour, and every dollar too. Those 5 are actually star wars geeks

So your problem is the people that pretend to be geeks?

Because you kinda offended, like, every fan base. Like ever.

1. Justin Bieber
  2. 1 Direction
  3. Doctor Who
  4. Star Wars
  5. Anime
  6. Marvel

Only DC and StarTrek left mate!

Preeeeetty sure that the people willing to learn Japanese, one of the hardest languages to this date, are not "fakers".

The problem is, you are saying that real geeks are the extremists. I don't think that being a geek is something material, it's because you think something is great. When you're part of the community, when you love to watch/play it, than you are a geek about something. Not if you spend 1000$ plus on action figures.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

-pics-

You probably have failed to see the Skyrim modding threads about the Gabe AMA where I called him a lying fat fuck that dodged every fucking question, but yeah whatever I have used the PCMR memes before feel completely validated that "you got me", I hope it puts a smile on your face cause it surely feels good to "win" an argument with lame ad hominem.

-------

Current Rig

-------

You probably have failed to see the Skyrim modding threads about the Gabe AMA where I called him a lying fat fuck that dodged every fucking question, but yeah whatever I have used the PCMR memes before feel completely validated that "you got me", I hope it puts a smile on your face cause it surely feels good to "win" an argument with lame ad hominem.

Welcome to the internet!

Jokes and memes are not allowed!

Basic guide to CPU's!

What is with your aggression? Why must you be so rude and cuss in every other sentence? You're being quite offensive. If you're going to start a debate, dont turn it into a flame war. Read the COC for a change.

The problem is, you are saying that real geeks are the extremists. I don't think that being a geek is something material, it's because you think something is great. When you're part of the community, when you love to watch/play it, than you are a geek about something. Not if you spend 1000$ plus on action figures.

Yes because we have slowly redefined "geek" to be a lot more than the word used to be. Most movies, games, etc. Didn't have "communities" built around them. And by that I mean they had, but they were on the fringes of society and really hard to find. Star Wars geeks used to be infamous for collecting the action figures because those back then were legitimately meant for kids as toys. Other items were highly sought after because they were legitimately very hard to find: Only people that attended an obscure convention or got leftover promotional materials had em.

Today? Today I can walk 5 minutes to a mall near me and it has a single, full sized store entirely dedicated to have this kinds of items for all matter of gaming, movies, comic books etc. They dont actually sell any games, movies or comics mind you, they just sell the tshirts, the plushies, the action figures, the posters. This is taking what once was a difficult and expensive hobbie to collect this kinds of items and just selling them as commonly as you sell fruits on a super market.

Welcome to the internet!

Jokes and memes are not allowed!

Yeah that's why I have a joke on my signature....wait what?

What is with your aggression? Why must you be so rude and cuss in every other sentence? You're being quite offensive. If you're going to start a debate, dont turn it into a flame war. Read the COC for a change.

I called Gaben a fat fuck, not the poster I quoted. I didn't call him anything offensive actually. As for using profanity yes, I use it, a fucking lot. Not really against CoC specifically if I don't do it as a personal attack against a forum member or something like that. Only the "C" word got edited out when I used it in the past and I don't since.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I called Gaben a fat fuck, not the poster I quoted. I didn't call him anything offensive actually. As for using profanity yes, I use it, a fucking lot. Not really against CoC specifically if I don't do it as a personal attack against a forum member or something like that. Only the "C" word got edited out when I used it in the past and I don't since.

I'm referring to you calling geeks or what you consider "fake geeks" to be the whales of society. I fit your definition of a "fake geek". Although most of us disagree with you, you have offended me. Along with about 6 other fan bases.

I. Referring to you calling geeks or what you consider "fake geeks" to be the whales of society.

It should be understood (but it is not so I'll clarify) that when you use [rant] on a thread you will walk into just that, a rant. It's not personal, I didn't target any specific person since I didn't go into a case by case scenario mainly because I actually don't know any of you and my rant was more about people I actually do know that indulge in this kind of crap I see everyday on my Facebook account for example.

I fit your definition of a "fake geek". Although most of us disagree with you, you have offended me. Along with about 6 other fan bases.

I suspect some of you guys on the forums might but I didn't know you specifically would be offended, in fact before today I honestly never even noticed you specifically.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It should be understood (but it is not so I'll clarify) that when you use [rant] on a thread you will walk into just that, a rant. It's not personal, I didn't target any specific person since I didn't go into a case by case scenario mainly because I actually don't know any of you and my rant was more about people I actually do know that indulge in this kind of crap I see everyday on my Facebook account for example. I suspect some of you guys on the forums might but I didn't know you specifically would be offended, in fact before today I honestly never even noticed you specifically.

Mind telling me the point then? It's a tech forums. Most of us are tech geeks. So what is the point in ranting about them on their forum?