Microsoft Slams Google for Android update

GoodBytes

I don't think Microsoft is in the right position to criticize others when their own track record is basically non-existing because they died in the middle of the race...

*Cough cough* Windows Phone 7.8 *cough cough*

*Cough cough* Windows RT *cough cough*

It would be nice if Android updates were delivered to a broader range of devices in a timely manner, but the point of Android is to give manufacturers an OS they can do whatever they want with. I don't really see how Google could do anything about the OEMs terrible update cycles without putting a ton of restrictions on them.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. What I am saying is that if your track record is shit then maybe you should focus on improving yourself and get a good track record before criticize others?

If you have a good history then sure, throw dirt if you want. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Microsoft has flat out dropped support and gone "no device that runs this OS will ever get an update again" on two OSes in the last 3-4 years so I don't think they are in a position to go "look at how badly this other company handles updates".

I wouldn't have any problem with Apple saying it because their history of updates has been (with a few exceptions like locking Siri to specific devices) excellent.

Windows RT is still getting security updates every single month. Also, Terry Myerson's comments were in THE CONTEXT OF SECURITY UPDATES. Not feature updates like many in this thread are going on about. And Microsoft's reputation for security updates is just fine. They provide majority of their OSes with security updates for well over 10+ years, more than anybody else in the industry.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

This coming from the company that intentionally made my Zune HD obsolete. Forcing my Zune Music subscription to merge into Xbox Music, then requiring 2 of my 4 accounts to be consumed by my Zune, AND the PC i had to use to put the music on the Zune, was definitely a stupid decision. Now i cannot put music on my MP3 player over WiFi (An advertised feature that was completely crippled in favor of the Xbox dynasty). Why own a Zune when i can just purchase a generic windows phone and get the previous service i had without needing a PC consume one of my 4 licenses to provide service to my device? 

Yeah MS, you really cannot talk about Google in this regard, you are just as guilty as they are with killing off devices as quickly as you can in favor of profit margins elsewhere.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

The important thing to remember is this is more about security patches and not about adding features or "new" design language etc. 

The fault mostly lies with OEMs and carriers that don't make any effort to ship out vital security fixes for Android - but Google doesn't make a real effort to fix it either; thus, they are partly to blame here. And Google's responses on this matter are terrible:

1. "Well 93% of users have the latest version of Play services," or,

2. "We made the update available" or the best one,

3. "Buy a Nexus device"

Also to look at it from an OEM perspective: it must be incredibly annoying when Google releases a final version of Android so they start to update their phones then after 2 months Google says: "Oh yeah sorry there's a major bug in that version *cough* Lollipop RAM Management *cough* here's the newest-new version."

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

mobile market is not design to last

but since every OS has their own app store, they leave that responsibility to developers.

that just sad.

Tell that to Apple, who still gives the iPad 2 the latest OS. Apple is arguably the best of them all at pushing out security updates even on older devices, not to mention general feature updates. 

Google intentionally plays dumb and passes the buck. 

My Lumia 920 is getting WP10 for crying out loud, despite it being a former flagship its still a very old device that under the Android regime would've been discarded and abandoned. 

Sometimes having a more centralized OS with less "fuckery" by manufacturers is a good thing, especially for software updates. 

That's just silly. I am not asking for a 100% clean record. What I am saying is that Microsoft has royally fucked up twice in terms of OS updates in the last 3-4 years so they should focus on building their own reputation before they try and sully Google's reputation.

I hope you realize that the world is not black and white. There are a lot of different shades of gray between the two. Right now you're essentially saying "if one company has ever skipped updating 1 device then their glass house is exactly the same as all other companies".

I am looking at it solely from the view point of a customer,  Even though I am a tech enthusiast, sometimes I don't care about the issues behind the scenes.  As an end consumer I have been just as burnt by all three.  I have an ipad1 that can't take any apps from the store (even though they do not require a later version or device to run),  I have an android phone stuck in 2009 and I have a windows phone that is essentially a dumb phone.   So no, it's not silly, it's reality. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.