Need Help: Overclock frustration...

Hi everyone, I need some help with my system. I just finished my build a couple of weeks ago and I'm really happy with it but I'm trying to get the most out of my 3770K. I have a Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H board and I have done a lot of reading and watching a lot of youtube vids from Linus and others.

Overview of questions:

1) Chip won't boot at 4.7 GHz. Does that mean that 4.6 is the max for the chip?

2) I have found a stable voltage at 4.6 GHz. How do I setup the BIOS to vary the voltage as needed?

3) My computer is a Hackintosh and the frequency varies as needed in OS X but not in Windows 7. Why is that?

So here is where I currently am:

I'm aiming for a high overclock 4.7 GHz. The chip has not been delid or lapped. At stock settings the system is rock solid. My biggest thing is to try and retain the turbo function of the chip - vary the voltages depending on the load on the chip. Even if I put 47 and leave the voltages on auto the system won't boot. Disappointing!

So far I have set the manual timings for my RAM and tested. No problems there. I have set the frequency manually to 46 because 47 won't boot. I have done several tests at different voltages and found that 1.345V is where it is stable. I'm using OCCT and CPUZ for testing and verifying with a 30min - 1 hour test. Passes fine. But how do I get it to maintain this voltage and back off when the power is not needed? Do I need to utilize the Dynamic Vcore? I have tried to set a base Voltage 1.22V and add a dynamic Vcore offset of 0.125V and I have tried to set the PLL voltage to the same 1.22V - when I boot I'm getting 1.470V+ ?!?!?! I don't understand why.

Any guidance on how to get this to work? Do I have to give up the dream of having the speedstep/turbo working? Do I have to run a fixed voltage and frequency at this level?

At 4.6 GHz I'm 31.5% over the stock frequency. Not bad but so many have been able to get 4.7+++ Thanks in advance for any help on this!

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

What are your voltages for 4.6GHz?

1.345V - stable and tested for 1 hour with no faults and temps under 75.

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

1.345V - stable and tested for 1 hour with no faults and temps under 75.

What voltages have you tried with 4.7GHz?

What voltages have you tried with 4.7GHz?

you name it!  I have tried fixed voltage anywhere from 1.37-1.55V - just won't boot.  I have even left the volts on auto - no go.

you name it!  I have tried fixed voltage anywhere from 1.37-1.55V - just won't boot.  I have even left the volts on auto - no go.

Oh wow, I guess 4.6GHz is the best you can do. 4.6GHz isn't a bad overclock to any stretch of the imagination.  

3) My computer is a Hackintosh and the frequency varies as needed in OS X but not in Windows 7. Why is that?

To get your frequencies to vary in Win7, you need to go to your advanced power management setting in Windows, under "Processor Power Management" change the "Minimum processor state" to 5%. As far as varying voltage, I haven't figure that one out yet, was kind of hoping someone would have chimed in with that on this thread.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

To get your frequencies to vary in Win7, you need to go to your advanced power management setting in Windows, under "Processor Power Management" change the "Minimum processor state" to 5%. As far as varying voltage, I haven't figure that one out yet, was kind of hoping someone would have chimed in with that on this thread.

Thank you!  Will have to try that - didn't know there were settings like that within the OS itself - I thought it was all in the BIOS

So I saw this thread on LLC. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/24019-load-line-calibration-why-overclockers-should-care/

I'm going to try play with that but was hoping someone would have some recommendations

Some CPUs just can't overclock as well as others. Just a dumb quality control thing you have to deal with and play your luck. You might have one of those chips.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

So I went searching for the spot you recommended and I don't have that option??!!! It only gives me the choice of active or passive cooling under processor power management. WTF???

have you tried to hit 4.7 with only two sticks of ram installed?

30min-1hour is not enough stress testing.

8-24 hours is recommended.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

-Change advanced power settings.

-processor power management

make sure EIST ,C1, C3  are all enabled on the board.

I had the same issue with the system not throttling down on a z77 Mpower board when overclocked to 4.8. I could never solve it.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

So I went searching for the spot you recommended and I don't have that option??!!! It only gives me the choice of active or passive cooling under processor power management. WTF???

Sorry, I forgot it's a little different in Win7 than in Win8, try this method: http://www.7tutorials.com/how-tweak-advanced-settings-power-plan-windows-7

I'm gathering he already has the C states enabled since it's throttling in OS X, that's why I didn't mention it in my previous post. 

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Sorry, I forgot it's a little different in Win7 than in Win8, try this method: http://www.7tutorials.com/how-tweak-advanced-settings-power-plan-windows-7

I'm gathering he already has the C states enabled since it's throttling in OS X, that's why I didn't mention it in my previous post. 

I tried that and it gets me to the place I'm supposed to be but under my options there is only "System Cooling Policy"  So freakin weird!!

have you tried to hit 4.7 with only two sticks of ram installed?

30min-1hour is not enough stress testing.

8-24 hours is recommended.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

-Change advanced power settings.

-processor power management

I had the same issue with the system not throttling down on a z77 Mpower board when overclocked to 4.8. I could never solve it.

No, have only tried with all 32GB (4 sticks installed).  Will try that.  

so an update:

I gave up on trying to max out my chip.  I settled on 4.4GHz.  I was able to the the variable voltage and frequency to work.  As identified by ProKon above (thank you by the way!!) I had EIST and the C1,C3 states disabled on my board.  The trick I found after numerous BIOS manipulations was a 1.28V static voltage with a Dynamic Vcore offset of +0.005V and most importantly a static value of 1.32V for PLL.  

Stress tested with OCCT for 8 hours last night and no errors.  I'm going to stick with this for now.  Next challenge for me is to delid my CPU to bring temps down even further and hopefully extend the life of the chip - that is if I can be satisfied and leave it alone for more than a week!!  LOL

Thanks for all the help!!

isint 4.6 is enough? o.O

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

isint 4.6 is enough? o.O

had to scale back to 4.4 GHz.  Couldn't get 4.6 to be stable.  I'm still happy with it.  25% over stock value.

had to scale back to 4.4 GHz.  Couldn't get 4.6 to be stable.  I'm still happy with it.  25% over stock value.

dont mess with it anymore 4.4 is a sweet spot ;)

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

dont mess with it anymore 4.4 is a sweet spot ;)

Seems to be. I just need something else to do with my build now.