Started Cycling. Any Tips?

EpIcPoNaGe

I just started getting into cycling and was wondering if anyone had any tips? I'm current riding a micargi fixie with a flip flop hub (i think thats how you would describe it) and a drop bar. 

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 2013 256GB

practice keeping your pedal rate the same and and only change gears for hills rather then pedalling faster or slower.

You must wear the proper cycling gear. :P

I just started getting into cycling and was wondering if anyone had any tips? I'm current riding a micargi fixie with a flip flop hub (i think thats how you would describe it) and a drop bar. 

Get a helmet and a crotch pillow.

Long cycling sessions tend to hurt the prostate.

few tips:

watch out for cars.

watch out for pedestrians

screw the rules

every road is a cyclist road

behave around cops

source:

dutch student/teen cycling handguide.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Always have a bottle of water with you. And don't wear too much clothes because you will sweat fast.

If you get a geared bike, then remember: "high cadence, low gear." It's the tricks of the pros.

Other things you should do is get a decent helmet, not a cheap $15 one. Look at a good quality specialized, bell or giro one for good money. That thing will save your life, you don't want one made of lesser quality materials, so always buy the best helmet you can afford. Plus the more expensive ones will last longer before the padding material degrades and must be replaced.

Get a bottle holder and carry a bottle at all times on rides longer than 10-15 minutes. You'll need it.

Carry spare inner tubes and a puncture repair kit if you're going to be going anywhere that isn't a short walk to home or your destination.

Don't wear baggy clothes if you want to get somewhere quickly. Kinda obvious, but you'd be surprised how many people I overtake on my beat up old hybrid with panniers on the back, just because they have a thick unzipped hoodie, baggy jeans and a backpack on.

Padded shorts/trousers are an absolute godsend and must be worshipped on high.Once you start using them for longer journeys, you'll never go back to the way it was before. My bollocks personally thanked me after I invested in a pair of padded shorts. If necessary, a gel padded seat is a good starting point if you don't want your arse to look like an Iggy Azalea copy.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I've started cycling as well on my mountain bike, my ass hurts now :D

I'll have to buy a gel seat and maybe an helmet, but I'll cycle rarely so I dunno if it's worth the weight.

Also I've got all sunburned, I need to remember to apply sunscreen *__*

don't go down the inside of traffic like lorries or buses, because they will squish you. get a thing that tells you how far and how fast you go so you can track what you are doing and try to beat you own time/distance or average speed.

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

You must wear the proper cycling gear. :P

Is a jersey necessary? What about gloves?

Get a helmet and a crotch pillow.

Long cycling sessions tend to hurt the prostate.

Haha yeah I noticed. Got a pair of cheaper cycling shorts.

Always have a bottle of water with you. And don't wear too much clothes because you will sweat fast.

Yeah I learned that the hard way when I almost passed out while biking. I have a 25oz bottle in the way :)

-snip-

How important is a repair kit? I'm currently biking in the mornings three times a week. Two 9 mile and one 20 mile.

I already have a helmet. Will it man's that much of a difference? They can get pretty expensive.

don't go down the inside of traffic like lorries or buses, because they will squish you. get a thing that tells you how far and how fast you go so you can track what you are doing and try to beat you own time/distance or average speed.

I'm currently using map my run and a stopwatch. Do you think a more dedicated cycling computer is necessary?

Desktop: The Bluez | CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz 1.296V | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: P8Z77 M-Pro | Memory: 16 GB 1600Mhz Kingston HyperX  

GPU: Asus GTX 780ti DirectCu II | HDD: Some Random Hitachi 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, 850 EVO 500GB | PSU: Rosewill Hive 750W | Case: Enermax Ostrog GT (Blue Ver.) 

Is a jersey necessary? What about gloves?

Haha yeah I noticed. Got a pair of cheaper cycling shorts.

Yeah I learned that the hard way when I almost passed out while biking. I have a 25oz bottle in the way :)

How important is a repair kit? I'm currently biking in the mornings three times a week. Two 9 mile and one 20 mile.

I already have a helmet. Will it man's that much of a difference? They can get pretty expensive.

I'm currently using map my run and a stopwatch. Do you think a more dedicated cycling computer is necessary?

it isn't necessary. i just found it interesting and more motivating when i could see exactly what i was doing. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

@EpIcPoNaGe if you have a helmet it should be fine, but when you next get one I would look at the $50 upwards price range. I did and its a helmet that should last me a fair few years to come, plus its less bulky than cheaper ones.

I would just pick up a fairly cheap repair kit when you next can. Usually one repair kit will have multiple patches to apply, although the self sealing ones are a lot easier to use and less of a hassle. I think park tools makes a good one that's pretty cheap and incredibly compact. You'll probably need a mini pump or CO2 pump if you want to get moving again, but if you can call for a lift or walk then that's not as much of a need. I don't carry one unless I leave the city, as most times I'm within a walk or a short phone call from home.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Stay off the f***ing road m8. Or at least have the damned courtesy to let cars pass.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

it isn't necessary. i just found it interesting and more motivating when i could see exactly what i was doing. 

That's true. I mainly bike solo so that might be a good way to keep me occupied.

@EpIcPoNaGe if you have a helmet it should be fine, but when you next get one I would look at the $50 upwards price range. I did and its a helmet that should last me a fair few years to come, plus its less bulky than cheaper ones.

I would just pick up a fairly cheap repair kit when you next can. Usually one repair kit will have multiple patches to apply, although the self sealing ones are a lot easier to use and less of a hassle. I think park tools makes a good one that's pretty cheap and incredibly compact. You'll probably need a mini pump or CO2 pump if you want to get moving again, but if you can call for a lift or walk then that's not as much of a need. I don't carry one unless I leave the city, as most times I'm within a walk or a short phone call from home.

I'll look into some helmets. I don't have many bike shops around so it'd be hard to find one that would fit online. 

Since I ride solo, it probably is a good idea that I get a repair kit. I need my bike to get around campus too anyway. Thanks!

Stay off the f***ing road m8. Or at least have the damned courtesy to let cars pass.

Haha don't worry, I follow bike lanes when possible and I don't bike on the road all the often right now anyway  :P

That's true. I mainly bike solo so that might be a good way to keep me occupied.

I'll look into some helmets. I don't have many bike shops around so it'd be hard to find one that would fit online. 

Since I ride solo, it probably is a good idea that I get a repair kit. I need my bike to get around campus too anyway. Thanks!

Haha don't worry, I follow bike lanes when possible and I don't bike on the road all the often right now anyway  :P

My main thing is, if there's a car behind you, pull to the side and let them pass. I live in a rural area and during spring summer and fall, we have packs of those asinine cyclists wearing the cycling gear (you know what I mean, the testicle destroying pants, the moronic looking helmets etc, the "wannabe armstrongs"), who just impede traffic all day long, it's seriously tempting to plow through them or throw something at them when I pass. I don't care if the law says cyclists and pedestrians have the right of way, when it comes down to physics and reality, you do not BY ANY MEANS have the right of way over 2000+ pounds of metal, not always driven by someone with my self control or level of sobriety (I may be an alcoholic, but I never EVER drink and drive, unless its a golf cart or 4 wheeler on my own property, which you shouldn't be on for any reason lol)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I've started cycling as well on my mountain bike, my ass hurts now :D

I'll have to buy a gel seat and maybe an helmet, but I'll cycle rarely so I dunno if it's worth the weight.

Also I've got all sunburned, I need to remember to apply sunscreen *__*

dont buy a gell seat, they are a waste of money. you get used to it over time and all you rally need to do is find the seat that fits your ass. A seat that fits your ass correctly does not need any padding at all. Just take a look at any of the old brookes leather saddles ore the tioga sypder saddles.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

you will see diminishing returns in helmet safety over say $75. Just make sure that it fits correctly and that you wear it correctly. Anything more expensive is just weight savings and aerodynamics. Also if you ever crash, drop or bump the helmet in any way replace it. The exact same thing applies to moto helmets so this is nothing new.

Dont have to use a stopwatch or anything like that. Try out strava to track your routes. A cycling computer would only really be needed if you want to track your speed in real time or if you end up getting a power meter(the fact that you bought a cheap ass fixie tells me that this aint gonna happen).

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Also while it evedident that @Trik'Stari has a vendetta towards road cyclists he does have a point. If you are riding in a group and you hear a car coming up pull into single file and if your alone give them room to pass. I will say though dont put yourself in a position that you might crash letting a car pass. Road bikes can go on dirt contrary to what people might believe but they are sketchy as hell and it all depends on what the side of the road looks like. If your not in the middle of fucking nowhere you should be fine.

dont buy a gell seat, they are a waste of money. you get used to it over time and all you rally need to do is find the seat that fits your ass. A seat that fits your ass correctly does not need any padding at all. Just take a look at any of the old brookes leather saddles ore the tioga sypder saddles.

I would disagree with you. You should know that there is a high chance for cancer in the prostate if you keep cycling without proper pillow on the saddle.

mapmyride is a good app but I have found it quite buggy lately (ios 8.1)

I would defo suggest a repair kit, because having to walk 5 miles to a shop to buy one really kills a ride. for the price its not worth the hassle of just having it in a sac. 

Also you can ride in the road as long as you are safe, you cant predict what other drivers are going to do whether you are on the road or pavement, many cycling accidents are caused by riders are being dicks and trying to undercut, pass between stopped cars etc, and well I pay my road tax for my car so i'm going to fucking ride on it. 

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

I would disagree with you. You should know that there is a high chance for cancer in the prostate if you keep cycling without proper pillow on the saddle.

get cycling shorts then. Most high end cycling saddles have almost no padding.

you will see diminishing returns in helmet safety over say $75. Just make sure that it fits correctly and that you wear it correctly. Anything more expensive is just weight savings and aerodynamics. Also if you ever crash, drop or bump the helmet in any way replace it. The exact same thing applies to moto helmets so this is nothing new.

Dont have to use a stopwatch or anything like that. Try out strava to track your routes. A cycling computer would only really be needed if you want to track your speed in real time or if you end up getting a power meter(the fact that you bought a cheap ass fixie tells me that this aint gonna happen).

OK thanks.

I don't currently have any way to bring my phone with me so that's why I use a stopwatch. I'll look into a phone mount. Also my fixie was originally bought to get around campus. Im only using it as a road bike temporarily. I'll get an entry level road bike later