GPU Upgrade From Windforce GTX 980 G1 Gaming

the_revenant

Hello! 

I'm looking for some advice on  a GPU upgrade. I'm currently running a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 (which i love), along with a system that's not going to bottleneck it and a single 4k monitor. 

I'm in a spot where I can put some more cash into my system, and would like to be able to crank gaming settings to the max (or at least higher than I can now) and still maintain a decent frame rate. I'm considering 2 options:

1. Sell the G1 and buy a Titan X. I'm thinking the 12 gigs of gddr5 would spell better textures for my 4k monitor (not to mention the faster clock allowing me a bit more freedom with the gaming display sliders). 

2. Buying a second G1 gaming and running the two in SLI. 

I hear a lot of people say that the single high end gpu setup is usually the best way to go, but I imagine I'd get some decent scaling on a second 980.

If it matters: I will be OCing whatever arrangement I settle on. Also, I have a ridiculously large tower with a lot of breathing room. 

I call out to the masters of the forum for guidance. Which option should I take, or should I consider some other option altogether? 

-rev 

Honestly, I would just run SLI. With DX12 promising ( Hopefully ) Shared GDDR5 and better Multi GPU support, Thats what I would do, and thats what I'm personally going to do soon :)

I'm not an expert but i'd recommend getting the titan X, however I am not sure how much people would want to buy your second hand 980 for. you would have to probably have to chip in an extra bit of cash for the titan x. but in the long run it would be worth it.

(this is only my opinion, some may disagree)

Hello! 

I'm looking for some advice on  a GPU upgrade. I'm currently running a Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 (which i love), along with a system that's not going to bottleneck it and a single 4k monitor. 

Why would you waste money like that on buying a titan x? 4gb is more than enough for 99% of games even at 4k (in fact I have never heard of a game being bottlenecked by 4gb). Soon 980ti will be here with 6gb of vram and roughly the same performance as titan x.. People need to really stop buying titans. Having 12gb over 6gb will not help you in any way shape or form with current games. 

Also I would like to note just because you have the money does not mean you should spend it on something that won't help you because you can't wait a month or two. All it does it hurt in my opinion. Nvidia would love to keep putting out a card for 1000 and then putting out the same card a few months later at 30% off. If people keep buying titans that means nvidia will keep selling them.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I would keep the 980 as it is an amazing card. Just do SLI it would fit all your needs

I'm looking for some advice on  a GPU upgrade.

I'm in a spot where I can put some more cash into my system, and would like to be able to crank gaming settings to the max (or at least higher than I can now) and still maintain a decent frame rate. 

Save the cash right now. Wait for the R9 390X to release. If it trades blows with (or beats) the Titan X, especially at higher resolutions (where AMD works better), it may be the best buy. And it should be cheaper.

If it trades blows with the Titan X, nVidia might drop the price of the Titan X, or hurry out the 980Ti etc etc. The Titan X is powerful, but overpriced, and isn't the same kind of Titan that previous cards were, and is probably more likely to get a price drop.

If you had 1440p or so, I would have simply said get a second 980, but since many games are "disliking" SLI lately, and being stuck single-GPU at 4K is not such a good idea, I implore to wait for the single GPU best bad boy. But that may very well be from the red team.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Why would you waste money like that on buying a titan x? 4gb is more than enough for 99% of games even at 4k (in fact I have never heard of a game being bottlenecked by 4gb). Soon 980ti will be here with 6gb of vram and roughly the same performance as titan x.. People need to really stop buying titans. Having 12gb over 6gb will not help you in any way shape or form with current games. 

Also I would like to note just because you have the money does not mean you should spend it on something that won't help you because you can't wait a month or two. All it does it hurt in my opinion. Nvidia would love to keep putting out a card for 1000 and then putting out the same card a few months later at 30% off. If people keep buying titans that means nvidia will keep selling them.

This makes sense to me. Perhaps a titan is a tad irresponsible for a gaming rig. Throwing another 980 in seems to be the winning opinion. 

Save the cash right now. Wait for the R9 390X to release. If it trades blows with (or beats) the Titan X, especially at higher resolutions (where AMD works better), it may be the best buy. And it should be cheaper.

If it trades blows with the Titan X, nVidia might drop the price of the Titan X, or hurry out the 980Ti etc etc. The Titan X is powerful, but overpriced, and isn't the same kind of Titan that previous cards were, and is probably more likely to get a price drop.

If you had 1440p or so, I would have simply said get a second 980, but since many games are "disliking" SLI lately, and being stuck single-GPU at 4K is not such a good idea, I implore to wait for the single GPU best bad boy. But that may very well be from the red team.

Oh man. I hear you, but I couldn't live without game stream. I've sunk too much in to the shield ecosystem. 

Oh man. I hear you, but I couldn't live without game stream. I've sunk too much in to the shield ecosystem. 

HA. Well at the least, still wait for the R9 390X... if only for the 980Ti and/or a potential Titan X price drop.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday