New PC will not display BIOS

Hello I have just put together a new pc with all brand new parts with a friend of mine. He has assembled the parts and now is having a problem. He lives multiple states away from me unfortunately. The specs are as follows.

pc part picker link http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NJVbf7

OS - Win 8.1 retail (not installed)

Motherboard - MSI X99S sli plus atx

Memory - 8gb Crucial ballistix sport  

Video Card - Asus gtx 970 Strix

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ gold 

Storage - 1x WD Black 1tb hdd     1x Samsung 850 EVO 120g ssd (for os)

Monitor - Asus VX238H

The system is completely assembled and plugged in.  he has the system connected to the monitor via hdmi from the gpu. With the system turned on and the monitor turned on he is not getting any display. The monitor says it detects that hdmi is plugged in but is not receiving input. All the fans are spinning and the graphics card is spinning as well. My first thought leads me to think there are driver issues but my friend has no way to hook the gpu or ssd into other components to update. There may be a potential issue with the monitors settings but I don't know for sure. The bios can not be accessed and there is no installed os on the storage. 

My theory is if he uses an external usb 1tb hdd to boot off of and install the os onto the ssd and drivers for the gpu that will fix the issue. So partition a portion of the hdd and install win 8.1 with proper gpu drivers. Boot from this partition but having the hdd and ssd unplugged from the system. Then using the win 8.1 discs again we install the os from windows on to the ssd as well as the drivers that we have placed the installers for on the partition (or use the provided discs).

Now I have no more real info other than what I have given as for the proper functioning of the state of the components. He has plugged the monitor into his laptop and was able to get display through that. Apparently the motherboard has a component check/test button and that threw up no issues. I will give more info as soon as possible. This weeks starts finals week for him so time will be somewhat limited. 

Thank you for any input that you could give as to whether my potential fix could work or suggestions as to what we are messing up. Hoping there aren't any doa parts and if so how can we troubleshoot/pin point that a part and which part is the doa part. The monitor we know functions and as far as we can tell all of the components power on. 

There are no driver issues. The BIOS does not use drivers - they're only usable when running an OS. Does your friend or you have any spare DDR3 RAM?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

There are no driver issues. The BIOS does not use drivers - they're only usable when running an OS. Does your friend or you have any spare DDR3 RAM?

Why DDR3?
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Why DDR3?

That is the type of RAM being used. Every generation of DDR that is released is incompatible with each other. DDR3 RAM only works in a DDR3 slot.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

first...your opening post is misleading

it should say...NEW PC WILL NOT BOOT/ STARTUP

second this has nothing to do with drivers or other stuff...something is causing the pc to not start properly

first thing..

have your friend go back and double check ALLL!..his cables and make sure the ram is seated properly....

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

That is the type of RAM being used. Every generation of DDR that is released is incompatible with each other. DDR3 RAM only works in a DDR3 slot.

He's using an X99 motherboard.....fairly sure there hasn't been a DDR3 version of X99
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

@lunaflaga Has he tried moving the graphics card to a different PCIE slot?

Not to my knowledge but I will suggest this. Thank you

He would only have ddr3 laptop ram. And to my knowledge x99 only supports dd4. 

I hope his friend isn't stupid enough to try ddr3 ram in a ddr4 motherboard

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

He's using an X99 motherboard.....fairly sure there hasn't been a DDR3 version of X99

I missed that part. I'm presuming then that you have no spare DDR4 RAM.

I hope his friend isn't stupid enough to try ddr3 ram in a ddr4 motherboard

I missed the part that said it was an X99 board.

first...your opening post is misleading

it should say...NEW PC WILL NOT BOOT/ STARTUP

second this has nothing to do with drivers or other stuff...something is causing the pc to not start properly

first thing..

have your friend go back and double check ALLL!..his cables and make sure the ram is seated properly....

good point thank you