Computer Locks Up When Gaming

AzureKite
Go to solution Solved by AzureKite,

This could be something as simple as a driver issue, or a defective motherboard/PSU/RAM. I would recommend making sure that you have the latest drivers for your GPU, also considering you got your new GPU recently, I'm assuming that this problem occured since? If this is the case, in my opinion it's most likely a GPU issue, if you have any other GPU lying around or integrated graphics I would recommend switching to those and see what happens. Let me know what happens.

Found the issue! Ran the games without the Steam overlay and no crashes! Thanks Steam for making thing I broke something! lol

Alright I have a problem that I am afraid to think is my psu not out putting enought power. My computer has seem to be freezing up a lot lately when gaming and it requires a restart to fix. Seems to happen a lot when youtube is playing while I'm playing a game (Tested with GTA V, which only works for 20 seconds then freezes, Planetside 2 I'm lucky to get a half hour before crash.) I've checked my hard disk which has the games for errors and it comes up clean with Windows Disk Check. Checked SSD with SSDlife Free and it shows up fine. The only thing that changed is my gpu which is now a R9 280x but it didn't start at first, heck after installing it I played GTA V for 4 hours straight. I'm hoping its not a psu issue because I can't afford a new one anytime soon.

My Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz (Had overclocked to 4.3 but turned back down to default no change)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4
Memory: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M EXTREME4+
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB
Video Card: VisionTek Radeon R9 280X 3GB 

The World R:Craft - Where Dot Hack Meets Minecraft
More Info at http://forums.cyberconnects2.com/index.php#the-world-r-craft.24

check your memory first

and do some stress tests on it with burnintest

http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

then we can narrow down the prob

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

600 watt should be more then fine. could be a driver issue? try running just a game. there is no reason a youtube+game would use more power then a game utilizing your gpu 100%.

run a sythentic benchmark that uses both gpu and cpu. that will eat though more power then any game, and will let you know. Id be suprised if your system used 400 watts tbh

check your memory first

and do some stress tests on it with burnintest

http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

then we can narrow down the prob

Alright memory is reading as fine and no issues there.

Burnintest passed with no issues if you wanna see my report I'll post it. This is really weird why does it do it when I'm gaming but not when I'm stress testing. I ran for 15 minutes

This could be something as simple as a driver issue, or a defective motherboard/PSU/RAM. I would recommend making sure that you have the latest drivers for your GPU, also considering you got your new GPU recently, I'm assuming that this problem occured since? If this is the case, in my opinion it's most likely a GPU issue, if you have any other GPU lying around or integrated graphics I would recommend switching to those and see what happens. Let me know what happens.

Found the issue! Ran the games without the Steam overlay and no crashes! Thanks Steam for making thing I broke something! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, make sure you mark this as solved so people with the same issue in the future can come here and see this.