How long will it be until we see a jarvis like system?

So i'm watching iron man again today. (Time off. Bored) 

And as usual it got me thinking about the technological home.

So with the tech we've seen so far. Leap motion, Clear displays with touch functionality, Siri/cortana, Voice recognition etc

How long do you think it'll be until we have economically viable ways of adding jarvis-like functionality to our homes.

In the beginning it'll probably be fairly basic. Simple things like "Welcome home" when you enter a house. Or being able to instruct the system to start your pc.

But being able to use your windows as displays and stuff like that is probably still a bit forward in the future.

I havent kept up with much tech in the last six monts so i can't really comment. I hope its within 5 years though. So i can build a system like it into my planned home.

For those that don't know what jarvis is. 

It's basically an Ai butler that is built into tony starks home. And iron man suit

Sorry if this is a repost

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Can already do that (re: Welcome home & turn on machine) with a Raspberry Pi and motion sensors in 3 unique positions with different scanning regions.

I want cortana from microsoft or google from andriod to hve a jarvis talk back mod. That would be AWESOME

some time ago on a tv show somebody had such a house he just sad "computer lights" and the lights would turn on he could also ask for weather and other info i don't remember which tv show but it was either on fox or discovery

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Depends on if "Jarvis like system" you mean an advanced VI or an AI.  We aren't far off from some crazy VI's but as for a true AI we are quite a ways off yet.

The problem is the A.I. not the hardware. The most advanced A.I system you can find today is the BigDog from Boston dynamics, which accomplished to walk and not fall in not optimal surfaces. Even siri jokes on the iphone where put by a group of programmers...

not even close....

Siti-like programs can already do that, but of course to be "Jarvis level" they would need all the subsystems that allow Tony's AI to know pretty much everything that is happening in a huge radius, control multiple suits of armor (assuming you can make an iron man suit, and you can't), and especially make its own decisions without needing to be told everything (which is a huge gap in modern technology. Not that I'd like my tech to decide what it will do on its own...).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Already exist. It's called IBM Watson

Can already do that (re: Welcome home & turn on machine) with a Raspberry Pi and motion sensors in 3 unique positions with different scanning regions.

Yes but i'm thinking about something on a bit larger scale. Something integrated into most of the house. (Could probably be done with a metric butt tonne of Pi's)

Depends on if "Jarvis like system" you mean an advanced VI or an AI.  We aren't far off from some crazy VI's but as for a true AI we are quite a ways off yet.

Probably just a VI. But a very good one. (And i've seen 2001: a space odyssey.. I'd rather not have HAL in my house)

"I need to get into the bathroom!"

-"I'm sorry techswede.. I'm afraid i can't let you do that"

"Noooo!"

The problem is the A.I. not the hardware. The most advanced A.I system you can find today is the BigDog from Boston dynamics, which accomplished to walk and not fall in not optimal surfaces. Even siri jokes on the iphone where put by a group of programmers...

not even close....

That's one of the main issues. But one can hope for a breaktrhough right?^^ 

Siti-like programs can already do that, but of course to be "Jarvis level" they would need all the subsystems that allow Tony's AI to know pretty much everything that is happening in a huge radius, control multiple suits of armor (assuming you can make an iron man suit, and you can't), and especially make its own decisions without needing to be told everything (which is a huge gap in modern technology. Not that I'd like my tech to decide what it will do on its own...).

Well the iron man suit isn't really what i was after. And id hope the AI or VI would not make any decitions other than the ones that are pre-set by me

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

And id hope the AI or VI would not make any decitions other than the ones that are pre-set by me

But then you'd be missing out. The great thing of a hypothetical Jarvis would be its ability to know what you need before you need it, so that it's ready when you do.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But then you'd be missing out. The great thing of a hypothetical Jarvis would be its ability to know what you need before you need it, so that it's ready when you do.

While that would be really nice. (And i hope it's possible to do it in the future) A simpler system with voice recognition that can do what i tell it might be more within my reach when i build my house. 

I'd really like to be able to use my windows as screens if i so desired.

tony_stark_computer_1.jpg

But things that monitor body temp and adjust the indoor temperature accordingly would be nice. and other things like that.

Being able to look out of the window, Spot something interesting and then use an exterior camera to zoom in would be awesome.

A complete system like jarvis would be awesome though

While that would be really nice. (And i hope it's possible to do it in the future) A simpler system with voice recognition that can do what i tell it might be more within my reach when i build my house. 

I'd really like to be able to use my windows as screens if i so desired.

tony_stark_computer_1.jpg

But things that monitor body temp and adjust the indoor temperature accordingly would be nice. and other things like that.

Being able to look out of the window, Spot something interesting and then use an exterior camera to zoom in would be awesome.

A complete system like jarvis would be awesome though

Are you sure you want something constantly listening in on you? ;)

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Are you sure you want something constantly listening in on you? ;)

As long as it is limited to the inside of my house and i can monitor the internet activity to see what is sent and recieved i don't mind it too much.

Isn't the xbox one already a device that is waiting for voice commands when it's on standby?

Isn't the xbox one already a device that is waiting for voice commands when it's on standby?

yes...  :ph34r:

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So i'm watching iron man again today. (Time off. Bored) 

And as usual it got me thinking about the technological home.

So with the tech we've seen so far. Leap motion, Clear displays with touch functionality, Siri/cortana, Voice recognition etc

How long do you think it'll be until we have economically viable ways of adding jarvis-like functionality to our homes.

In the

It's basically an Ai butler that is built into tony starks home. And iron man suit

Sorry if this is a repost

Hang on a minute, first let's focus on getting an iron man suit

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Simple. Build the iron monger suit

12715_10151105062307344_1493381184_n__sc

Use the spare room in that to hide batteries or some type of generator. Use hydraulic or pneumatic exoskeletons to build it.

Then moores law will do the rest

TO THE BATCAVE!!! Oh wait, wrong universe... :P

I'd like to think in a few years time we'll have a sentient AI prototype, it's something I'd quite like to work on, it's even something I'm looking at covering at university, at least theoretically. I think the main limitations are the hardware, largely the high speed long range wireless capabilities that Jarvis seems to use as well as not needing a massive supercomputer taking up an office to run, but also possibly the computing languages used. Whatever programming language is used for sentient AI is going to have to be incredibly complex, them most complex software ever made most likely, but when you think about it a sentient AI would be able to modify its own code to improve efficiency and adapt itself to an individual persons uses Which could be worrying, thinking about it.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Here's how you do it ... 

or not .. 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I'm not sure how far off we are, but how much room is in that goddamn helmet. 

I figure...

Absolute basic stuff, we are already there.

Jarvis level interaction and household interaction, many years away, possibly within 20.

All the extra enhanced household electronic devices, probably in a few years.

Problem remain whether people will actually want it and how long it would take for it to become the norm.

Jarvis, atleast portrayed in the movies doesn't come across as an AI. Similar, yes with similar functionality, but it's still just a collection of algorithms that can predict your needs and wants, but it never becomes an AI.

Jarvis, atleast portrayed in the movies doesn't come across as an AI. Similar, yes with similar functionality, but it's still just a collection of algorithms that can predict your needs and wants, but it never becomes an AI.

Depends what you mean for "AI". Of course it's no HAL, but it still has a lot of decision making power, which even if it depends on an algorythm places it a few steps above anything we have now.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Depends what you mean for "AI". Of course it's no HAL, but it still has a lot of decision making power, which even if it depends on an algorythm places it a few steps above anything we have now.

I understand, Jarvis' design is a few magnitudes more advanced than what is currently available. I also think it probably determines what we define as Artificial Intelligence. I find Jarvis is restricted to a set of complicated and complex, but limited decision trees. While Jarvis' intuitive nature can resemble intelligence, it is inherently limited directly to its programming and the available inputs. We are seeing the beginnings of some of this today, where corporations are using algorithms and behaviour modelling to determine user/customers needs and wants, even before they realize it themselves.

Yep.  We have good voice recognition, and decent (and rapidly improving) heuristics for treating voice as data.  But treating voice as language, and responding in kind requires real AI, and for that we don't even know what we don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room

Yes it does, when tony "discovers" the new element for his hearth jarvis compliments him saying, congratulations sir you discovered a new element.

This is very simple for any intelligent being to do, but for a non intelligent code joining a compliment and assuming some element is discovered is truly intelligence. 

Yes it does, when tony "discovers" the new element for his hearth jarvis compliments him saying, congratulations sir you discovered a new element.

This is very simple for any intelligent being to do, but for a non intelligent code joining a compliment and assuming some element is discovered is truly intelligence. 

Well, since it had a major part in actually discovering said element and probably had exhaustive information on all the other elements in its memory banks, the second part is pretty easy. "Congratulations sir" can probably be hardcoded in and triggered when you create/find something new or that works as planned, but it still does show how advanced it is. And again, it all depends on how far intelligence must go to be defined as such.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*