Made the AMD to Intel switch!

Sure sounds great.  I only switched an hour ago but plan to add crysis 3 once its done downloading on the i5 machine.

Chances are Crysis3 won't show much of a difference because of how incredibly GPU bound that game is, but info is info, positive or negative, so add it to your original post please.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

There were perhaps no show stopping issues but your previous motherboard obviously had issues. Sorry but if I see 100 tests from everyone around the web that show one result and I see yours showing something way abnormal, I'm gonna assume that your result is the anomaly.

If my board had problems then i would have noticed other problems. I have the sabertooth 990fx 2.0

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

if I was in your shoes I wouldn't be able to sleep it would be like christmas as a 8 year old again

I'm both happy and dissapointed mate, it's cost me a LOT for my upgrades lol. My entire rig is new, except the GPU. I've had to re-use my R9 270x whilst i wait for my GTX 980 to arrive.

I even got a new headset, DAC/Amp, the ones in my sig. I've even got a Blue Yeti mic on the way. It's due tomorrow with the new GPU.

I also have more upgrades to do - another SSD (500GB, or maybe 1TB), another 4TB for storage, and 2 new monitors.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I have an i5 and my nans computer runs amd can I be a part

Sure, if you would like to run some detailed tests.  Try and make it as CPU bound as possible.  This means using the same GPU in both computers, testing the same games, same settings.  Make it as scientific as possible.

Here is the

so you get a better idea of what others have done.

iUpgraded to an i7: A 30 Day Journal:

If you don't like numbers and want pure user experience without benchmarks and stats, check out Suika's 30 Day Journal of his experience going from an FX8350 + GTX 780 to an i7-4790k + GTX780. Like many others on this forum, he noticed that he was being held back in many games with his FX8, and his expensive GPU wasn't being fully utilized.  Here is a pure experience based review from a forum member on his experience going from FX to Intel. 

Suika is one of many users here on LTT who were previously using FX processors with high end GPUs thinking it was a good match, only to realize in the end that it was not a good balance.

Here is another member, UnbendingNose who was told on this very forum to buy an FX8 because it won't hold back an R9 290, and an ASRock Extreme 3 wont throttle his CPU.  Both of which are false.  Here are his two posts, the one where he is asking for advice on what to buy, and the 2nd where he is unhappy with his FX8320s performance because of bottlenecking and throttling.  He finally ended up buying an i5, which is what he should have done in the first place, and miraculously, to the surprise of no one, his performance in every single game improved, most notably minimum fps.

Another one is itachipirate who used to be an FX crusader but finally saw enough compelling evidence to persuade him otherwise.  Here is his write up on the FX6.

AMD FX6, 6 Month Conclusion

FLUFFYJELLO, another FX owner had this to say:  "All you have to do is look at my current rig and it could be a testimonial. These guys put me in my place on a number of threads where I was *attempting* to defend my 6350.  Currently on an i5 setup I can run FC4 without frames dipping into the low 20's as with my old FX."

itzhalo, was having issues with his FX8350 OC'd to 4.8Ghz in a number of games.  He later upgraded to an i5, and here is what he had to say about it:

"My apologies guys if I am bringing this thread back up but I just wanted to update this. Turns out that I upgraded to the intel i5 4460 and the MSI Z97 PC Mate (Only reason why I got the Z97 was because down the road I most likely will be upgrading to 4790K and overclocking). When it comes to performance it has improved. Battlefield 4 I get a constant 90+ Usage on my GPU and in most games that I have played like shadow of mordor my FPS was extremely stable and had no stuttering or drops. All in all just a word of advice to whoever is going to use the 8350 and GTX 970 combination I highly recommend that you save up a bit and go with at least an i5 4460 or better"

If you want to read the entire thread, it is available here.

JamGorby says: "The last Intel I owned up until now was a P3 667. It has been nothing but AMD since then. I had reasons for that were justified and backed by objective reasons. Those reasons no longer exist. 

My last AMD build (the last AMD build was actually a 1100t but I bought the chip and mb used for $50 so it doesn't count) was a Phenom II X4 955. 

Funny thing is, when doing research and pricing on my current build, I went in with the whole "AMD is the best bang for the buck" mentality that I'm sure a lot of AMD fans still have. Boy, was that ever so not the case. 

Unless I wanted to throw an FX chip on a shitty 760G based board (a chipset, BTW, that is over 7 years old by now) Intel was just a better choice. Bare in mind, my original plan was to shop in the core i3/Fx8xxx range. I wound up with the 4790k because I ended up with a bigger budget than I anticipated having when I made my purchase. But, the point I'm making is that AMD has even lost their position in the bang for the buck department. Now, they are only compelling in the entry level cheapo market. 

Before having a better budget, I kept playing around with different builds and Intel kept coming out the victor. AMD 9xx series boards are just not good value. While the chips look like a good price to performance option, decent boards will eat up any savings you might make. When an Intel cost more, it was usually a difference of only $20. With a few configs, Intel even cost less. 

People throw that word, fanboy, around a lot. As you can see, AMD took a good bit of my computing money for over a decade. But reality doesn't care about how you feel. Facts will continue to be true. AMD is losing and for many good reasons. The free market doesn't lie. Their failings aren't part of some conspiracy."

rtpb5642 has created his own thread talking about his switch from an FX8350 @ 4.8Ghz to an Intel i5-4670k.  Simply titled:  Made the AMD to Intel Switch.

I am aware that an i7 is much more expensive than an FX8, but the performance in games between an i5 and i7 is nearly identical, especially when at the same clock speed.  Not to mention, all you need is an i5 @ 3.0Ghz to beat anything FX has to offer.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

What are you talking about?  Results ALL over the web are showing exactly what he experienced.

Incorrect: All of the results show an increase, none of them show double the FPSWhich is exactly what I said if you read my previous post.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Incorrect: All of the results show an increase, none of them show double the FPSWhich is exactly what I said if you read my previous post.

He didn't get a true doubling, and some of those results are showing a big gap in performance, especially when overclocked.  His results are perfectly in line with what to expect.

He didn't get a true doubling

Before:

FX-8350@4.8ghz

16GB (4x4)

6GB GTX 780 no OC

70ish fps Titanfall maxed out no AA

Cinibench R15 78 FPS

After:

i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz

6GB GTX 780 no OC

Cinibench R15 99fps

Titanfall maxed out and 8x MSAA maxed out my monitor at 138-144fps

-------

Current Rig

-------

He didn't get a true doubling

Before:

FX-8350@4.8ghz

16GB (4x4)

6GB GTX 780 no OC

70ish fps Titanfall maxed out no AA

Cinibench R15 78 FPS

After:

i5 4670k @ 3.4ghz

6GB GTX 780 no OC

Cinibench R15 99fps

Titanfall maxed out and 8x MSAA maxed out my monitor at 138-144fps

Whoops, my bad, was looking at just Cinebench.

In Titanfall, yea, he got double.  Searching youtube videos now

Look at these two Titanfall Videos.  Both using an FX8350 @ 4.3Ghz.  One video is with a single 780, the other is with SLI.

Single 780

SLI

These results are right in line with what he is getting.  Also note there is virtually no difference between a single 780 and SLI?  This is because the FX8 is the bottleneck.

I have been searching for i5 and 780 Titanfall videos, but no one is including FPS counters.

Congrats. intel is awesome, but imo the upgrade wouldn't of been worth it. The amd cpu isn't bad at all and sure it's hot but why pay another 200$ for 5 degrees. Could've bought a small fan for 20 bucks. Or open a window and keep the door open for cross ventilation which works surprisingly well even in hot weather. (110 where I live). Regardless you will be happy with the cpu itself.

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

Congrats. intel is awesome, but imo the upgrade wouldn't of been worth it. The amd cpu isn't bad at all and sure it's hot but why pay another 200$ for 5 degrees. Could've bought a small fan for 20 bucks. Or open a window and keep the door open for cross ventilation which works surprisingly well even in hot weather. (110 where I live). Regardless you will be happy with the cpu itself.

Already had the cpu for my server so didnt cost my anything extra, also i my monitor is 144hz so the extra fps is nice.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

I found out too late, and have lost some serious cash figuring out my problems,...multiple quality motherboards, went from the FX6 to the FX8, OC'd to 4.7Ghz, used faster memory, tried to remove all slow factors I could....and it still was not enough for my usage cases... chasing the Required Minimum FPS...

This was about 3 years ago... I had an FX system, and my older Core2Q8300.

In some cases the Intel CPU's are the ONLY option you have.....When trying to keep MINFPS as high as possible.

There are people.....that are ANAL about particular things.... you prob know people yourselves like this, and may in fact be anal yourself about maintaining high-FPS Minimums

Triple screen 120hz, anything under 80-90fps and it feels/looks/stutters on those monitors like a bitch to me..... so maintaining near enough as close to 120fps minimum as I can, the FX could just not push the FPS that high (even on LOW,..in some titles), and yet my i5 4690 has zero issues.

The oculus rift is a 75hz beast, and REQUIRES 75FPS Constantly....Minimum ALL the time...... to ensure a positive experience.

When running dual-GPU's and having FX-8 CPU plummet that GPU usage and performance, to well under 75fps, a lot of the time, then it's not feasible to use,...and instantly these problems went away from putting a simple i5 4690 in there...

I'm happy with my purchase/swapped ecosystem because my needs require a better CPU, and AMD have zero options for someone like myself.

For the average user/midrange-semi-highend buyer they are fine, when chasing up to 60fps, but when your chasing 75fps minimum, or 120fps+ minimums, then FX can't compete at all.  My use case is not average,.. I know that, but PC gaming isn't dead & is quite an exciting time,...plenty of hard working people out there who love their toys.... and are being misled by thinking a 'currently' for sale processor from AMD is decent (because thats ALL they have right now) people expect the top tier of any company to be competing... sadly they are not.

/I'm also talking from the perspective of someone like me who is chasing 75fps+ a lot, not the users who reply with 'I can get up to 60fps no problem'. I'm tlaking about WAY PAST that...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

70fps with no msaa and i have a 144hz monitor so id like to make use of the 144hz

The CPU doesn't affect MSAA. If your CPU was what was limiting you to 70fps then you could have piled on the MSAA with no performance hit.

The CPU doesn't affect MSAA. If your CPU was what was limiting you to 70fps then you could have piled on the MSAA with no performance hit.

Every time i added msaa i lost FPS significantly on the 8350.

I'm thinking of switching when Skylake comes out :D Then I plan to switch back to AMD when Gen 2 Zen comes out.

This is off topic but I noticed you also have a MSI 990FXA-GD80 V2.

Have you managed to overclock you're 8350 to 5.0Ghz?

I have to same board but as you know in the bios the voltage is locked to 1.45v and to push past 1.45v you have to use the MSI Click Two Bios desktop program but its a little confusing.

Again not sure if you tried to overclock it that far but its worth asking!

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Every time i added msaa i lost FPS significantly on the 8350.

Then it's unlikely that what you were seeing was a massive CPU bottleneck.

Then it's unlikely that what you were seeing was a massive CPU bottleneck.

I think i have proven i had a huge cpu bottleneck as with the same gpu and i5 my fps doubled (with 8x msaa on the i5 and non on the 8350)

Nice jump for titanfall, would be nice if you had made physical evidence from before and after.

Titanfall is an cpu bound game, so its not realy a suprise you gained some fps.

Cinebench is not interessting, because of its intel compilers.

I think i have proven i had a huge cpu bottleneck as with the same gpu and i5 my fps doubled (with 8x msaa on the i5 and non on the 8350)

If your bottleneck gets worse by having the GPU render more pixels you have not proven a CPU bottleneck at all.

I hear you.  Still rocking a Phenom II X4 @ 3.9GHz, holding out for Skylake/Zen.  I'm looking forward to similarly massive performance gains.

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

This is off topic but I noticed you also have a MSI 990FXA-GD80 V2.

Have you managed to overclock you're 8350 to 5.0Ghz?

I have to same board but as you know in the bios the voltage is locked to 1.45v and to push past 1.45v you have to use the MSI Click Two Bios desktop program but its a little confusing.

Again not sure if you tried to overclock it that far but its worth asking!

The highest I got was to 4.8GHz. At the time, I didn't have my water cooling loop in, so I could try to get it farther. I'll have to do that some time.

I'll send you a PM about the MSI board.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Already had the cpu for my server so didnt cost my anything extra, also i my monitor is 144hz so the extra fps is nice.

Then there ya go. Enjoy:)

Z77A-G43 LGA 1155, Intel I5 3450s, Radeon R9 290 (non-X), Cooler Master V750 Gold (750W) PSU, 2x4GB Ripjaws X 1866 MHz, 1x4 Crucial 1866 MHz, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, Thor V2 Full-tower Case, Acer 1920x1080 Monitor

That performance jump in Titanfall seems made up, its not even CPU bound game, and zero to none changes in Crysis 3 ? Ive seen i5s getting atleast 10-15 fps more in Crysis 3 compared to FX 8 cores. This smells weird hmm.

That performance jump in Titanfall seems made up, its not even CPU bound game, and zero to none changes in Crysis 3 ? Ive seen i5s getting atleast 10-15 fps more in Crysis 3 compared to FX 8 cores. This smells weird hmm.

Titanfall is actually kinda CPU bound. Reason for no difference in Crysis 3 is because that game is almost entirely GPU bound when settings are at the maximum.