GTX 970 & FX 8350 Issue

itzhalo
Go to solution Solved by RazerZ,
Unlocked options:

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($101.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $333.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 09:48 EDT-0400

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($326.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $428.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 09:49 EDT-0400

Locked options:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($177.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $257.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 18:13 EDT-0400

Total: $313.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 18:15 EDT-0400 - note OEM version does not come with a stock cooler.

Hello everyone! I really enjoy playing PC and I have sunk so much money into my PC to run it so I can have a good time playing it. Well about a month or two ago I upgraded my PC, clean installed windows, and now I am here today with this issue. Before I get too in-depth here are my specifications:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 (Stock)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Liquid Cooler (Temps are about 25 idle and 48 under load so no throttling)
Ram: 16gb Gskill Ripjaws @1600mhz
GPU: Evga GTX 970 SC
Motherboard: Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer 
PSU: Corsair CX750m

Ok with that said here are the things I have tried:
-Clean installation of Windows
-Defragging my hard drive
-Moving GPU to another PCI-E Slot
-Changing cables on PSU
-Upgrading my ram
-Disabling things in bios (Cool & Quiet, Turbo core, etc)
-Overclocking both CPU and GPU
-Changing power in nvidia control panel to prefer maximum performance
-Also changing the power mode to performance in windows
-Reinstalling Games and deleted profiles
-Tested multiple PSU and also tested the current one I have right now

- Upgraded to Windows 8.1 Profesional

- Disabled Paging File

- Updated all my drivers in my system

- Checked for viruses

- Made cooling good so there was no thermal throttling 

Games that run like complete garbage for me:
-Battlefield 4
-Insurgency (It's even a source game and it runs like shit with fps drops!)
-Garry's Mod
-Borderlands 2
-The Forest
-No More Room in Hell (Yet again another source game)
-Far Cry 4 (FPS Drops)

Also to add onto this my friend has the same specs as me but just has Corsair  vengeance ram and he is getting the same performance issues. So hopefully if there could be a solution it would fix his performance as well. Alright so onto the frames. I usually get 55-80 fps and it is always fluctuating and jumping around in BF4. The reason this is happening is because I noticed my GPU usage is not reaching its maximum 98% or even 99%. It is very upsetting because this game is awesome and I just want to get a constant framerate I can enjoy. I also have another friend with the exact same motherboard and processor as me yet he has dual radeon GPU's (Sorry I forgot the models) and he runs well over 100 fps with a constant 99% usage in Battlefield 4! So this CPU is definitely not a bottleneck. Now this is the weird thing, when I play single player campaign on BF4 I get pretty good usage (About a constant 98% usage with the occasional drops) yet once I go into multiplayer all that good performance just goes away. I really hope we can narrow down the reasons as to why this is happening. Maybe is it the 970 and FX 8350 just not the best couple for this? I just sunk so much money into my PC and I can't really afford anymore things and I was hoping this build would be perfect for 1080p. Thanks guys! 

Also someone on the Nvidia forums posted this:

screenshot_2015_02_21.png

It is very upsetting because people just tell me to lower my graphic settings but this is just covering up the issue and on top of that I sunk so much money into upgrading my system to play comfortably on Ultra settings on BF4. Here are my old specs:

CPU: FX 6300 @Stock

Ram: 8GB DDR3 800mhz

PSU: Corsair cx750m

GPU: EVGA GTX 760

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-78lmt-usb3

I run BF4 on my strix 970 and 4690k at ultra on 1080p, no issues other than lag.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

nvm

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Most of those games are VERY CPU DEMANDING games.

Sorry to say bro but i think you got a bottleneck

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

How did you check for throttling? Did you monitor the CPU's clock speed while gaming, or just monitor the CPU temps?

Your CPU is the bottleneck. That friend with the Radeon GPUs is using Mantle in BF4, which helps, but just in titles with Mantle.

Also the guy in that forum post,the games he is playing are either not demanding at all, or entirely GPU bound.

You and your friends should all invest in Intel i5s if you want to get the best performance in games. Sorry you got tricked into the cores and ghz fiasco.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Bottlenecking is the issue but in regards to the cpu overclocking you have done how far did you push it?  Also what were your overclocks like with the video card?  Were you aggressive with your OCs?  If not get to work!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Lol at the hate on AMD. You do realize he has games listed which are as non demanding as Garry's Mod, yet they still run like crap? I think something is wrong with his system, not the specs he has.

Lol at the hate on AMD. You do realize he has games listed which are as non demanding as Garry's Mod, yet they still run like crap? I think something is wrong with his system, not the specs he has.

I hear you on that but clearly he needs to do everything he can to eliminate a bottleneck and get the most out of what he has.  If he is not being aggressive with the overclocks that could explain part of the problems here.

Also he could just be trolling us.  That is another possibility.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Those "non-demanding" games are games that run infinitely better on strong cores than many weak ones. Some people will claim unoptimization, but the games are relatively old, so they were built around the hardware available at the time. If anyone needs to optimize, it's the owners of CPUs whose architecture isn't from this decade. There is no hate for AMD, it is logically a poor gaming CPU, only to make matters worse, paired with a high end GPU.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Ok, I can understand that the FX has weak per core performance, which is why many people recommend the i5, but regardless it isn't a "bad" CPU. The games he listed should run fine, maybe with an occasional fps dip in cpu demanding situations.

Bottlenecking is the issue but in regards to the cpu overclocking you have done how far did you push it?  Also what were your overclocks like with the video card?  Were you aggressive with your OCs?  If not get to work!

Yes I have oc'ed to about 4.8ghz and got fairly decent temps as well but sometimes it spiked up to 60c which kind of lead into the zone where I either lower the clock or just do some more testing at stock. I do not know too sure if this will help but here are some benchmarks I have taken:

Here is my shadow of mordor gameplay. I took a video and while I was playing I recorded a log of my GPU in GPU-Z. As you can see I am getting stuttering here and there especially when I get in the game (Benchmarked on Windows 8.1):

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrBKpkkrdBM

Log (Apologies on having to download it): http://goo.gl/ldyN4e

Here is my BF4 Benchmark with Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 64bit:

Windows 7: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHReaYOPnDY

Windows 8.1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0MoJVx8D0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1wRlilBFfU

And finally here is my benchmark of Border Lands 2 on Windows 7 64bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laG2P53Xd5U

I do know the whole weak core ordeal but I thought that BF4 was one of the only games that uses more than 4 cores. *Sigh* looks like I might have to make another upgrade and put $300+ into another mobo and CPU.

Those results look normal. By running like crap I thought you meant fps in the 20s but it looks like you have dips into the 40s/50s, which is expected. The best option you have in those games is to try to get a safe and stable overclock on your CPU and turn down a few settings in game which could eat into your FPS.

The lag you might be experiencing in those videos where your FPS is past 60 could be due to screen tearing if your monitor has a refresh rate at 60 Hz. Try enabling v-sync and see if that changes anything.

VSYNC enable?? 

ReDO a test with FRAPS running in background we could much help u with that.

Apparently u experience stuttering so it's much relate to the GPU not the CPU.

"Innovation is the only way to progress"

"To every action there is always an opposed equal reaction"

"There is only one road, always straight"

BF4 seems a bit low, tends to run much better in my experience.

Far Cry 4 dips into rhe 50s for whatever reason on FX, despite 3 running way better.

Insurgency runs flawless in my experience.

Borderlands 2,ran great for me.

Can't speak to the other games.

To some extent there will be a CPU bottleneck, but I'm not certain that is the sole cause of your performance problems.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

yea its the 8350 causing the issue i had a 8350 with 2 R9 280xs and it stuttered and played very bad in some games soon as i got a 4790k it was all good and smooth i now have a 970 because the 280x's where too loud and it runs butter smooth  

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

Well I always have been thinking of going to intel for a while and it was my mistake to go with the FX CPU in the first place. Anyone recommend a good motherboard and CPU for the money on the intel side. Also not to mention I most likely won't be going SLI but I would like a decent motherboard to overclock my CPU on because I will most likely be hooking up my h80i onto my new CPU once I get it down the road. I just hope this is the final upgrade because I am getting so sick of putting more and more money into my build :/. Also I really do not want to exceed 400$ at the most. Thanks guys.

Unlocked options:

Total: $333.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 09:48 EDT-0400

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($326.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $428.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-27 09:49 EDT-0400

Locked options:

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 18:15 EDT-0400 - note OEM version does not come with a stock cooler.

Unlocked options:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($222.75 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $322.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 18:11 EDT-0400

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($317.85 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $417.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-14 18:12 EDT-0400

Locked options:

Wow thanks for the extremely helpful reply. Definitely going to look into these soon hopefully. Just making sure, none of these CPU's will hold back the 970's potential? I mean I know some games there is no doubt going to be issues (Poorly coded/ optimization) but in most CPU reliant games will I be able to play comfortably? 

Make another video, but this time have Afterburner/Rivatuner display your CPU usage of each core as you do. Then we can see if your CPU is being completely used, or if the problem is elsewhere

You did it in borderlands, but you're not getting bad performance there.

Nope, none will hold back the 970's potential. That's why I included the locked options since they are a lot cheaper yet perform similarly to the overclocked i5/i7 in gaming.

Though personally I would still see if you can squeeze more performance out of your current system before upgrading.

Make another video, but this time have Afterburner/Rivatuner display your CPU usage of each core as you do. Then we can see if your CPU is being completely used, or if the problem is elsewhere

You did it in borderlands, but you're not getting bad performance there.

Sure thing. Any specific games you want me to be trying out?

Nope, none will hold back the 970's potential. That's why I included the locked options since they are a lot cheaper yet perform similarly to the overclocked i5/i7 in gaming.

Though personally I would still see if you can squeeze more performance out of your current system before upgrading.

True I do have to admit that I feel like it was a huge waste of money buying this CPU and motherboard so soon and then upgrading already to another one.

Sure thing. Any specific games you want me to be trying out?

Something that stresses your machine, that you are not happy with the frame-rate in. Really try to demonstrate what, exactly, the problem is.

Something that stresses your machine, that you are not happy with the frame-rate in. Really try to demonstrate what, exactly, the problem is.

Gotcha. I guess I will run another benchmark BF4, The Forest, and chivalry. Will post a reply once I get everything recorded.