FX-8320 vs I5-3570k and new mobo

Looking to get a new cpu this up coming end of November and well microcenter's deal on the i7 4770k for $199 ended today, the day I planned on picking one up. So I've found myself in a little bit of confusion on where I want to take my upgrade.

My original plan was to just order an FX-8320 for $150, pop it in my Asrock 970 extreme 3, and call it day for the next couple of years. However, amazon does have the i5 3570k on sale right now for $199. The only problem is I'd have to buy a new motherboard bringing my total upgrade cost to just over $300. Is it worth it going intel with a new motherboard, or should I just grab an FX-8320 and use my existing board. If I had to buy a new 990fx board, then this would be a no-brainer and I go with Intel set up since they would cost about the same.

One of the main concerns I have with the FX-8320 is the Asrock 970 extreme 3 does have the potential to throttle the cpu. I certainly won't be overclocking because I know the 4+1 power phase can't handle it.

Save up a little more and go to Micro Center. They sell 3770Ks for $250.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

how about 6300? 

8320 overclock sligtly, try to downvolt

I'd really like to intel, but at $300 or so for the upgrade versus $150 for the amd just makes it seem like such a waste of money going intel. However, I don't feel fully confident on the FX-8320.

I had to decide whether Intel or AMD last month. A huge choice as it will have to last the next few years. I went with the AMD FX-8350.

My main reason for this was simple. Xbox One and PS4 both use an eight core AMD chip. As game developers are going to be programming for these machines then core count will become more and more important. 

The core speed is a lot lower in the two consoles so an eight core chip running at three times there speed will power through any new games.

I am very happy with my decision. In real world benchmarks the 8350 IS faster than their Intel counterparts.

Let the abuse begin.

Nothing to see here - move along.

Another concern I have is that the Asrock 970 extreme 3 does not officially support the FX-8320 or FX-8350. It does however support the FX-8150 and people do use the FX-8350 in it with success.

I guess if the board throttles bad I could Just trash it and pick up an Asus 990fx board.

I had to decide whether Intel or AMD last month. A huge choice as it will have to last the next few years. I went with the AMD FX-8350.

My main reason for this was simple. Xbox One and PS4 both use an eight core AMD chip. As game developers are going to be programming for these machines then core count will become more and more important. 

The core speed is a lot lower in the two consoles so an eight core chip running at three times there speed will power through any new games.

I am very happy with my decision. In real world benchmarks the 8350 IS faster than their Intel counterparts.

Let the abuse begin.

i would believe that if AC4 black flag didn't run like crap on PC 

Let the abuse begin.

i was in the same position as you, but the 2500k+cheap z67 was cheaper than the 8350 +990fx. The 2500k goes up to 4.7 with only 1.35 and temperatures are around 60c. For the 8350 i didnt felt safe enough to OC it on a 970.

The 8350 is marginally better. But not in every scenario. A i5 4670k at 4.5 will score the same as a 8350 at 4.7 in cinebench multithread. 4 intel cores render just as fast as the 8 from amd (and much faster if you count HT, but thats another story).  Haswell is better (Although the 8350 is cheaper, so marginally yes its better)

As for the games, the good ones are exclusives. The rest, i much rather to play a proper pc game like the witcher 2, instead of a crappy ass port. Just look at something like state of decay. The port was vomitive, the lack of first person, the camera was a disaster, the graphics were a joke, also they claimed to be "sand box" but it was the most linear shit ive played . For the new ones, just look at killzone. What a piece of garbage that is. At least the single player. The multiplayer doesn't look much appealing... Definitely not more than BF4

i ll add 2 things to this.

1- If the 990fx was a little bit more cheaper on my country, id had gone amd. I think the 8350 its great for its price

2- Im much more excited for upcoming pc games like the witcher 3 and star citizen, than for console exclusives. They seem exactly like last gen titles but with better graphics

I think the right choice would be picking up the 8350 as it has the one of the best price to performance ratios around and despite what others are saying the 4670K does not match the 8350 at stock or overclock. In Cinebench the 4670K @ 4.5Ghz gets a score of ~7.6 and my 8350 @ 4.8Ghz get 8.25. It's not conclusive but I just wanted mention it.

Plus 970 boards tend to be cheaper than the equivalent Intel boards or have more features for the same price.

Another concern I have is that the Asrock 970 extreme 3 does not officially support the FX-8320 or FX-8350. It does however support the FX-8150 and people do use the FX-8350 in it with success.

Update the BIOS and grab an FX 8320, it consumes less power than the FX 8120 so if the Asrock supports the 8120 there is really no chance it would throttle the 8320.

Was leaning towards the FX-8320 yesterday. However, the i5 3570k is on sale at microcenter again for $150. ARRRGGGHH lol

Just found out microcenter has the fx8320 for $99. Unfortunately, staples doesn't carry it. Anyone know of another place that price matches?