Corsair RM PSU

Ogl

Hi,

So i'm looking to build a new PC however I have picked the Corsair RM-750 PSU. A few people have said to stay way from the RM Series and go with something else such EVGA.

My question is should I stick with the Corsair Rm-750 or replace it with another option.

I already own the Corsair cable kit so I'd preferably like to stay with Corsair for that reason.

Or should i ignore these negative comments about the RM series and stick with it as it comes with the 5 year warranty

Cheers.

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula | GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified | SSD: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB | Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX     RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866MHz | HDD: 2TB Western Digital | PSU: Corsair AX850i

Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB | OS: Windows 8.1  

Everyone likes bashing just about every psu. If it has hundreds of good reviews on Amazon though go for it.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Everyone likes bashing just about every psu. If it has hundreds of good reviews on Amazon though go for it.

Beats by Dre has 4/5 from over 2000 reviews, your argument is invalid

The Corsair RM series is not really bad... it's just quite mediocre for a usually way too high price.

I can't even begin to explain why that's such awful logic. 

The RM series isn't bad, but for the price it's not very good, there are better choices at similar pricing for similar features and better quality. 

It's not a bad unit, and whether you should get it or not is a matter of pricing. If you can get it on sale or the region you in has it at a very good price, then it is certainly a viable option.

Basically, to give you any proper advice on what you should go with, you should provide your budget, links to stores that you are able to buy from, and your system specification.

The other option is to go for the Corsair AX series

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula | GPU: EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified | SSD: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB | Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX

Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX     RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866MHz | HDD: 2TB Western Digital | PSU: Corsair AX850i

Or HX. Both are way better than RM.

Well, the AX series is certainly a better build, higher-end PSU than the RM series. But can you provide your budget, links to store(s), and system specs?

Other units like the EVGA Supernova 750w G2, Antec HCP 750w Platinum, XFX XTR 750w, etc are also solid units that are better build units than the RM series.

Well, the AX series is certainly a better build, higher-end PSU than the RM series. But can you provide your budget, links to store(s), and system specs?

Other units like the EVGA Supernova 750w G2, Antec HCP 750w Platinum, XFX XTR 750w, etc are also solid units that are better build units than the RM series.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX

CPU: Cooler H100i GTX

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, 2133MHz

SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HD: 2TB WD green

Case: Corsair 450D

PSU: ....

Other: Corsair Individually Sleeved PSU Cables

Budget £180 Max for PSU

I will try find the link to the RM series stories, might be difficult as I'm now relpying using my phone.

Hi,

So i'm looking to build a new PC however I have picked the Corsair RM-750 PSU. A few people have said to stay way from the RM Series and go with something else such EVGA.

My question is should I stick with the Corsair Rm-750 or replace it with another option.

I already own the Corsair cable kit so I'd preferably like to stay with Corsair for that reason.

Or should i ignore these negative comments about the RM series and stick with it as it comes with the 5 year warranty

Cheers.

That is because it's a terrible psu....FOR THE PRICE. As far as performance electrically it's fairly par for the course. It's not terrible. it's not amazing either. However it's priced like it's the best psu you can get on the gold standard. Turn to evga g2 and you will save a few bucks and literally get the best psu on the gold standard. If you want to save a bunch of money look no further than the rosewill capstone on superflower's platform (superflower also makes the g2 from evga). The capstone can usually be found for around half the price as the corsair rm but actually perform about the same. And the rm kinda has a higher failure rate from what I know. It's not massive or a huge worry but it's something.

Amazon reviews said it was good. It must be amazing!

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Future upgrade will be another gtx 980 for SLI

That is because it's a terrible psu....FOR THE PRICE. As far as performance electrically it's fairly par for the course. It's not terrible. it's not amazing either. However it's priced like it's the best psu you can get on the gold standard. Turn to evga g2 and you will save a few bucks and literally get the best psu on the gold standard. If you want to save a bunch of money look no further than the rosewill capstone on superflower's platform (superflower also makes the g2 from evga). The capstone can usually be found for around half the price as the corsair rm but actually perform about the same. And the rm kinda has a higher failure rate from what I know. It's not massive or a huge worry but it's something.

Amazon reviews said it was good. It must be amazing!

Sorry, I meant reviews on pcpp not Amazon... People on pcpp know what's going on with computers more than on Amazon.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Sorry, I meant reviews on pcpp not Amazon... People on pcpp know what's going on with computers more than on Amazon.

That I can agree with. lol But still, it is a decent enough unit. It's just not nearly worth the price with options like the rosewill capstone on the market for half the price with a better warranty and similar performance. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

That I can agree with. lol But still, it is a decent enough unit. It's just not nearly worth the price with options like the rosewill capstone on the market for half the price with a better warranty and similar performance.

For price, yes it's probably not very good but since he wants to make it look nice and already owns part of what's needed for that it's probably a good option.

For price, yes it's probably not very good but since he wants to make it look nice and already owns part of what's needed for that it's probably a good option.

Cable kits should work with any modular power supply. They should all be using the same standard of cable. The power supplies look the same basically.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K

GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX

CPU: Cooler H100i GTX

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero

Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, 2133MHz

SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HD: 2TB WD green

Case: Corsair 450D

PSU: ....

Other: Corsair Individually Sleeved PSU Cables

Budget £180 Max for PSU

I will try find the link to the RM series stories, might be difficult as I'm now relpying using my phone.

You're from the UK? Since you are going to SLI...

EVGA Supernova 750w G2: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Cable Mod (look at the E-Series for that EVGA) : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/mfrList.php?mfrid=686

Cable kits should work with any modular power supply. They should all be using the same standard of cable. The power supplies look the same basically.

The cable kit from Corsair? If so, then that's incorrect. Corsair used their own "Type-3" standardization for their own PSUs on the modular side. It will not work on PSUs from another company.

If you are talking about extensions, however, then they can work on any power supply even non-modular units.

You're from the UK? Since you are going to SLI...

EVGA Supernova 750w G2: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Cable Mod (look at the E-Series for that EVGA) : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/mfrList.php?mfrid=686

The cable kit from Corsair? If so, then that's incorrect. Corsair used their own "Type-3" standardization for their own PSUs on the modular side. It will not work on PSUs from another company.

If you are talking about extensions, however, then they can work on any power supply even non-modular units.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that corsair went that far. I really do hate it when companies do this. Even more reason not to buy corsair in the future. They really need to shape up their power supply line, premium price for midrange products. Eh.

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that corsair went that far. I really do hate it when companies do this. Even more reason not to buy corsair in the future. They really need to shape up their power supply line, premium price for midrange products. Eh.

Making their own standardization is actually not a negative on Corsair, as it ensure that the cables will work with any future PSU from their company (provided that they don't change it). Whether it is made by CWT, Flextronics, Greatwall, Hipro, etc, all modern PSU will used the Type-3 pinout.

However, since there is no industry standard to how the modular interface should be set up, you may find PSUs, even from the same company, are not physically and/or electrically compatible with one another. Take EVGA for example. The FSP-build G1s, Super Flower build G2/P2/T2, and Seasonic build GS/PS cables will not work with each other.

I do agree that Corsair PSUs tend to be priced rather high though.

Hi,

Cheers.

Depends if you want silence.  The RM is untouchable for silence.  There are several other offerings with zero rpm fan mode but when you do some digging none quite stack up to be as quiet as the RM.  However there is all this concern over where the capacitors in the RM on the secondary side were made.....

After a mind boggling amount of research and a huge number of conversations including one with Jonny Guru himself I came to the following conclusions.

1)  The RM series is untouchable for silence and its power delivery is fine.

2)  There are other offerings in the RM's price range that provide better power delivery and longer warranty (albeit not as quiet).

3)  If you want the best of both worlds (silence and quality components) get the Corsair HXi .  It has unimpeachable components and power delivery and Jonny Guru himself said it is as quiet as the RM series.  It costs a bit more though but not much.

The AX is also overpriced, if you already have Corsair cables the best bet for your money is probably the HX.

"Rawr XD"