3570K @ 4.4Ghz not enough for GTA 5?

orangecat

So my 3570K is overclocked to 4.4Ghz right now and my GTX 970 is running at 1544Mhz with 1851Mhz on the memory and yet my CPU is nearly always hitting 100% usage while playing GTA 5 not to mention my GPU struggles to get past 65ish percent usage.

Also I play at 1600x900 with max graphics and all advanced settings turned up except no AA.

So my 3570K is overclocked to 4.4Ghz right now and my GTX 970 is running at 1544Mhz with 1851Mhz on the memory and yet my CPU is nearly always hitting 100% usage while playing GTA 5 not to mention my GPU struggles to get past 65ish percent usage.

Also I play at 1600x900 with max graphics and all advanced settings turned up except no AA.

the advanced settings make SLI or Crossfire anythings cry........ and they do very little for visual fidelity.

Just turn them off and turn up msaa to 2x

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

the advanced settings make SLI or Crossfire anythings cry........ and they do very little for visual fidelity.

Just turn them off and turn up msaa to 2x

But will that help my CPU or not? My GPU seems to run the game at nearly 60FPS all the time except the CPU causes hitches.

But will that help my CPU or not? My GPU seems to run the game at nearly 60FPS all the time except the CPU causes hitches.

There are two ways we could go about finding out the answer to that:

A.Speculate pointlessly

B.you could try it without those settings enabled

And another benefit to option B is that you find out immediately.

If you want to speculate then one of the advanced settings is view distance IIRC, and having more objects on screen is more CPU intensive.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Turn up the AA or use DSR to play at a higher resolution. You'd want to try and force your GPU to work more. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

My 3570k is at 4.8Ghz and all four cores sit at anywhere between 60-90% usage, Part of the reason your GPU is likely sitting at 60% is because you're running at a lower resolution and likely have V-sync on. Try turning off V-sync to see if you're GPU usage goes up(It should). If it doesn't crank up the AA or make use of DSR to downsample from something like 1440p.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

My 3570k is at 4.8Ghz and all four cores sit at anywhere between 60-90% usage, Part of the reason your GPU is likely sitting at 60% is because you're running at a lower resolution and likely have V-sync on. Try turning off V-sync to see if you're GPU usage goes up(It should). If it doesn't crank up the AA or make use of DSR to downsample from something like 1440p.

I don't use V-Sync but i'll look into turning up AA or resolution.

Turn up the AA or use DSR to play at a higher resolution. You'd want to try and force your GPU to work more. 

AA from what I hear can have a impact on CPU performance.

AA from what I hear can have a impact on CPU performance.

Its more GPU heavy than CPU heavy. You can use DSR if you don't like AA

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Its more GPU heavy than CPU heavy. You can use DSR if you don't like AA

When I use DSR it's not smoothing the screen it just looks like no AA but lags more.

When I use DSR it's not smoothing the screen it just looks like no AA but lags more.

Well that shouldn't be happening... Did you notice your GPU usage increase?

I have a 3570 at 4.2 and do not have this issue.

The population density, variation and distance scaling would probably be the first things you might want to turn down.

*edit:3570k

Edited by projectmayhem

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

I have to ask because no one has yet, are you running the GTA 5 release driver?

Well that shouldn't be happening... Did you notice your GPU usage increase?

Yes it hit 99% but I think my CPU is still bottle necking it.

I have to ask because no one has yet, are you running the GTA 5 release driver?

Yes, I always run the latest stable driver.

Yes, I always run the latest stable driver.

Just felt I had to ask as you didn't say that you were running it or not. Have you installed the game more than once? I had to reinstall due to corrupted files and after I did that my GPU usage went up and stayed at stable levels while gaming. If you have the steam version you should verify your games cache and if you have the Social Club version you should try a repair install.

Just felt I had to ask as you didn't say that you were running it or not. Have you installed the game more than once? I had to reinstall due to corrupted files and after I did that my GPU usage went up and stayed at stable levels while gaming. If you have the steam version you should verify your games cache and if you have the Social Club version you should try a repair install.

I have reinstalled it but that was to move it from my small SSD to my larger games HDD. I also have it on Steam.