Is this a bottleneck, or something else?

Go to solution Solved by mapegl,

Thanks again for the information. Based on what you just said, I think I already have my voltage on fixed as it goes down while idle. Anyway, I'm sorry if this turned into a overclocking thread, not what I expected. Before I put the nail on the coffin, so do you think my voltage is to High for 4.4 ghz? I do want to get a 4.2 but it's so confusing beacuse there's no way to define my actual voltage, unless I'm missing something here, no idea what the negative values are when changing voltage

(edit) just did some research and people are saying I can read vCore through TouchBIOS. I'm assuming that's a downloadable program?

Nah you probably use offset since you said you can use +0.something in your bios. That is definitely offset.

I would say 1.36 is too high for 4.4Ghz, BUT this is the silicone lottery and maybe yours need that voltage to stay stable. Mine is fine with less. Though as I said before: Voltage doesn't kill a CPU, temperature does. So if temps are fine there is not much to worry about.

I use CPU-Z and openHardwareMonitor to look at temps, speed and voltages. Works out well for me.

Hey, just for the lolz... check your Cpu settings in the bios. I had a pretty similar problem some months ago, couldnt get above 40 fps in BF 3 with 100% cpu utilisation, where before i hade like an average of 80 fps with 60% cpu utilisation or something. Turned out my cpu was set to max 16x mutliplier in the bios... i have no idea why that was, but it was...

Will check it tommrow, thanks for the heads up.

That's some f**** up s***. It could indeed be the GPU, because logicically, the CPU can't work too much harder than the GPU. Do you have an old GPU lying around, or iGPU which you can replace your current GPU with for a second? Try Arma III with that. If the CPU usage increases, than there's probably a problem with your GPU.

Indeed u have integrated graphics I think, but my old gpu was getting normal cpu usage on arma 3. What do you think the problem really is? I don't think the card is at fault, it can't be since it works perfectly in shadow of mordor. But arma 3 us kinda fucked atm though, I don't know what to make of it.

Please keep following this topic, I'm going to bed.

( may your framrate be high, and your tempatures be low....and your bottleneck be non EXISTANT I guess. ;))

Overclock your 2500k and you should be good. If that doesn't solve the problem its the game itself. What cooling solution are you using for the CPU?

Overclock your 2500k and you should be good. If that doesn't solve the problem its the game itself. What cooling solution are you using for the CPU?

212 evo, I have the latest drive for my bios but it's so old and there's no guides on how to overclock on it. That set aside I can probably get a stable 4.5 ghz OC

well that you did a clean windows install not a long time ago, does not say anything realy.

I would advice to do a virus + malware scan realy.

You can get infected by even visiting a malliious website so yeah.

So that you did a clean install lets say yesterday, does not say anything realy. :)

well that you did a clean windows install not a long time ago, does not say anything realy.

So that you did a clean install lets say yesterday, does not say anything realy. :)[/

Will do that now. However, do you think I can get a stable overclock odd 4.5 ghz of I'm getting 55 'C max temp atm?

So that you did a clean install lets say yesterday, does not say anything realy. :)

Sorry for double quoting))

Will do that now. However, do you think I can get a stable overclock odd 4.5 ghz of I'm getting 55 'C max temp atm?

[EDIT]: I just ran malwarebytes scan, and as usual I always get the same threat popping up, It's a "Potentially unwanted program" in C:\Users/Myuser/Appdata/Local/Googl...r data\default\secure preferences. It's called PUP.Optonal.Delta.A and everytime I try to remove it it comes back in the exact same location.

212 evo, I have the latest drive for my bios but it's so old and there's no guides on how to overclock on it. That set aside I can probably get a stable 4.5 ghz OC

Google how to overclock a 2500k, literally TONS of guides out there. Motherboard doesn't matter as long as it's half decent (yours is ok for a mild OC). A good amount of chips can reach that clockspeed, but every chip is different. Follow a guide and see how high you can get without a huge voltage boost. The 212 EVO will be sufficient.

Google how to overclock a 2500k, literally TONS of guides out there. Motherboard doesn't matter as long as it's half decent (yours is ok for a mild OC). A good amount of chips can reach that clockspeed, but every chip is different. Follow a guide and see how high you can get without a huge voltage boost. The 212 EVO will be sufficient.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. 

I just overclocked ( for the first time!) my 2500k to 4.0 GHZ, all I did was change the multiplier and I left the voltage on auto. I ran prime95 for around an hour and everything so far seems okay, only thing I'm concerned is that my Voltage in HWINFO is going up to 1.381 V on full load, which is concerning, no? Anyway I have yet to run benchmarks, I plan on hitting 4.5 GHZ as temps seem pretty good atm. ( never went above 60'C in prime95)

Yeah definitely 55C is realy cool for intels terms.

Yeah definitely 55C is realy cool for intels terms.

Okay, I have good news finally. 

After playing GTA 5 in daytime driving around for half an hour, I think it's safe to say that overclocking my CPU helped, alot. My CPU usage no longer tops up at 100% all the time but rather stays 80-90%, and my GPU usage still dips below 80% however it's much less now and as a result my frames rarely dip below 60 now, which is AWESOME! However there is something I'm concerned about, and that is my voltage. I have it set to auto atm but should I'm wondering if I should lower it a bit as it's sometimes getting to 1.381 V which I heard is bad and decreases the CPU's lifespan, despite temperatures never exceeding 60'C.

May Lord Gaben bless your framerates.

After playing GTA 5 in daytime driving around for half an hour, I think it's safe to say that overclocking my CPU helped, alot. My CPU usage no longer tops up at 100% all the time but rather stays 80-90%, and my GPU usage still dips below 80% however it's much less now and as a result my frames rarely dip below 60 now, which is AWESOME! However there is something I'm concerned about, and that is my voltage. I have it set to auto atm but should I'm wondering if I should lower it a bit as it's sometimes getting to 1.381 V which I heard is bad and decreases the CPU's lifespan, despite temperatures never exceeding 60'C.

Thank for the blessing, but not after the PaidMod Fiasco :P

Overclocking is the principle of overvolting a component, forcing it to work harder but last less long.

But, unless you set it to 20v, it's not going to break in a few weeks :P

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Might not be a CPU bottleneck.  I have what people would describe as a weaker CPU, and I don't drop below 55 FPS.

Are you running with extended distance scaling?  

EDIT:

Seems you fixed it.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Never use auto voltage. It will always provide more voltage than needed. Which guide did you follow? You should start off at stock voltage and do trial and error runs by increasing the multiplier by one each time. Make sure you run a stress test after each increment to see if your CPU is stable. Once you find a point where the system is unstable, slowly increase the Vcore to get the CPU stable. Highest Vcore I would go is 1.45V, and that's needed for extreme overclocks where you have a golden chip, high quality motherboard, and sufficient cooling.

Follow this guide:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1100100/info-intel-2500k-2600k-overclocking-tips

Never use auto voltage. It will always provide more voltage than needed. Which guide did you follow? You should start off at stock voltage and do trial and error runs by increasing the multiplier by one each time. Make sure you run a stress test after each increment to see if your CPU is stable. Once you find a point where the system is unstable, slowly increase the Vcore to get the CPU stable. Highest Vcore I would go is 1.45V, and that's needed for extreme overclocks where you have a golden chip, high quality motherboard, and sufficient cooling.

Follow this guide:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1100100/info-intel-2500k-2600k-overclocking-tips

Thanks, I will try to adjust the voltage tommrow as I'm in bed now, it will take some tries as I'm new to overclocking. Will my CPU be good for the meantime though with this voltage, or is it going to explode? I used this guide here..

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18375640

Thanks, I will try to adjust the voltage tommrow as I'm in bed now, it will take some tries as I'm new to overclocking. Will my CPU be good for the meantime though with this voltage, or is it going to explode? I used this guide here..

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18375640

It's fine, it's just a high number for a 4Ghz overclock with the 2500k.

It's fine, it's just a high number for a 4Ghz overclock with the 2500k.

May Lord Gaben be with you for the quick replies. I will try hit a 4.5 ghz overclock tommrow and adjust the overclock accordingly. ( looking back the earlier post they scrapped the whole payments for mods thing, dunno if that was toy or someone else who posted)

I'm thinking of just returning my Graphics card right now, I'm sure 99% it's not the GPU's fault, however I'm kinda feeling like i wasted my money you know? All it gave me thus far was headaches in gta 5.

You don't have any of the advanced graphics options on do you..? Those higher detailed shadows and distance settings gave me cpu spikes.

Try lowering shadows types to see if it helps.

Ie: Sharp/Soft/Others. ..

Reduce draw distance and then monitor gpu usage.

My i5 4690 locked.... gets 60-95% CPU usage too. More if I use Those advanced options.

Have not seen my gpu uaage drop under 90% if at all.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Seriously, call me an asshole but I don't really understand why people keep saying this game is so optimised, either my luck with PC's is rubbish or this games optimisation is really just hyped up.

Its very well optimized. there is just a lot too the game. and some of the settings were put in there CLEARLY just for people who really wanted to see their multi card setups get used.

so it might not be an issue of optimization so much as a lot of people are trying to use settings designed to utilize dual 970's or 980's 

Seriously, call me an asshole but I don't really understand why people keep saying this game is so optimised, either my luck with PC's is rubbish or this games optimisation is really just hyped up.

It's one thing to optimize a game and make it run as best and efficient as possible. But you can't make 4-core CPUs process so much information and push a lot of fps. GTA V is very heavy on the CPU. Better CPUs would yield more fps, but you'd still be bottlenecked by the DX11 API. I've seen high-end i7's struggle to maintain 60 fps, and that's with advanced settings off. This game needs DX12 really bad.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

You don't have any of the advanced graphics options on do you..? Those higher detailed shadows and distance settings gave me cpu spikes.

Try lowering shadows types to see if it helps.

Ie: Sharp/Soft/Others. ..

Reduce draw distance and then monitor gpu usage.

My i5 4690 locked.... gets 60-95% CPU usage too. More if I use Those advanced options.

Have not seen my gpu uaage drop under 90% if at all.

I've already seen TB video, so I have all those turned off.. I have the distance scaling on max though.

Why not, it's a sandy-bridge at stock. At some point it's going to get old, you need to atleast overclock it these days in demanding titles.

My 2500k does absolutely fine in any title. With and without OC.

4.0 does help a bit, true, but not too much.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

My 2500k does absolutely fine in any title. With and without OC.

4.0 does help a bit, true, but not too much.

I'm not saying it's crap, just sometimes requires an OC for maximum saturation on the GPU.

I'm not saying it's crap, just sometimes requires an OC for maximum saturation on the GPU.

Nope. It is the most powerful CPU ever. Don't you say anything bad about it.

Nah, just kidding.

But really, there shouldn't be much of a bottleneck if any. With a slight oc the 2500k is still better than most quad cores available. Without oc it should also be fine.

EDIT: Just for the lolz I downclocked my CPU and at 3.7Ghz it still performs perfectly and never reaches 90% load in GTA V, while my GPU runs at 99-100% load  and puts out around 60 fps on very high settings.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

Nope. It is the most powerful CPU ever. Don't you say anything bad about it.

Nah, just kidding.

But really, there shouldn't be much of a bottleneck if any. With a slight oc the 2500k is still better than most quad cores available. Without oc it should also be fine.

EDIT: Just for the lolz I downclocked my CPU and at 3.7Ghz it still performs perfectly and never reaches 90% load in GTA V, while my GPU runs at 99-100% load and puts out around 60 fps on very high settings.

This is awkward...

The i5 2500k stock speed is 3.30 ghz, so doesn't they mean you over clocked it? Anyway, that's werid beacuse even with my CPU at 4 ghz I rarely get 100% GPU usage, and I have the same cpu as you. What could possibly be causing this to happen?