Screwed Up Overclocking

Shaan5

I was overclocking my GTX 970 G1 Gaming and I pushed it too far. Unigine Valley Crashed and all of my Overclocks were reset to there Stock values. I ran a few more tests and all of my Temps are exactly the same as they were before I started Overclocking. The Computer also runs the same as it did before I started overclocking and my FPS Is the same as before I started Overclocking

I'm freaking out thinking that my PC Is Going to stop working or that My GPU is broken or something

HELP!

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

I was overclocking my GTX 970 G1 Gaming and I pushed it too far. Unigine Valley Crashed and all of my Overclocks were reset to there Stock values. I ran a few more tests and all of my Temps are exactly the same as they were before I started Overclocking. The Computer also runs the same as it did before I started overclocking and my FPS Is the same as before I started Overclocking

I'm freaking out thinking that my PC Is Going to stop working or that My GPU is broken or something

HELP!

Take the OC down 2 notches and try again.  GPUs don't die randomly from OCs unless you jack the voltage too high (which you can't on a stock BIOS anyway).

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Take the OC down 2 notches and try again.  GPUs don't die randomly from OCs unless you jack the voltage too high (which you can't on a stock BIOS anyway).

I'm not currently overclocked. I'm at Stock

Is there any Chance that something was damaged?

I didn't even touch the Voltage. but I Did MAX the Power Limit(It only goes to 112%)

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

You are fine. The values are resettet so you can start up the system save again.

You now know the upper limit of you card and can OC a litte bit under this mark.

So I'm Good?

What do you mean "So you can start up the system save again?

It won't get damaged.  System crashes are part of the overclocking process.  Shows you what your upper OC limit is, so go down 1 notch and try again.  Go down until it stops crashing, then go down 1 more notch to be safe.  Go down/up in 10 MHz intervals.  5MHz when you have determined where the threshold is.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I didn't even touch the Voltage. but I Did MAX the Power Limit(It only goes to 112%)

You're fine.

As far as I'm aware, the only way to damage a card when overclocking these days is by messing with the voltage.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Ok Thanks Everyone!

Was really worried there 

I might start using OCCT, Heard that its good for overclocking

So I'm Good?

What do you mean "So you can start up the system save again?

When the GPU is OC to much it won't show an image anymore and you can't reset the OC. To avaid this dead-lock the card resets the setting automaticly.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Ok Thanks Everyone!

Was really worried there 

I might start using OCCT, Heard that its good for overclocking

I'd recommend MSI Afterburner.  But really it doen't matter what you use all that much.  

For a 970 you can pretty much crank the power limit up and maybe even the voltage and just increase core clocks as far as you can without crashes.  Memory clocks are more complicated, I've personally seen that performance can actually degrade with excessively high mem clocks.   

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

When the GPU is OC to much it won't show an image anymore and you can't reset the OC. To avaid this dead-lock the card resets the setting automaticly.

What do you mean "it wont show an image anymore"

I can still tweak settings in MSI Afterburner If that is what you mean

Do you mean that, If the card is pushed too high, it will lock those settings so to avoid this the Card resets itself to Stock so you can continue tweaking

What do you mean "it wont show an image anymore"

I can still tweak settings in MSI Afterburner If that is what you mean

Do you mean that, If the card is pushed too high, it will lock those settings so to avoid this the Card resets itself to Stock so you can continue tweaking

Imagine if the overclock stayed and whenever you tried to boot up the computer it crashed because the overclock was too severe (so you would have an endless loop of crashing). That's a bit extreme, but to avoid this, your card reverted back to stock so that it won't crash on boot or have any other issues. It's just a safety feature. Your card itself is fine.