GTA V, Xbox or Playstation

JoshM

Hi guys,

I'm looking to preorder GTA V and as it looks like it will be on consoles i was wondering which console has the better graphics? I have both PS3 and Xbox 360 but i find the PlayStation to lag more then the Xbox which is why im leaning towards my Xbox. I just want the best game play possible out of the consoles so if anyone can help me chose between the to that would be great. 

Cheers. 

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

No one knows which console will have better graphics, GTA V looks shit on both of them that's for sure, I would just wait for the PC version. But if you reaally want the game, lean towards the one that seems to be better in general, which is PS4 in my opinion at the moment.

No one knows which console will have better graphics, GTA V looks shit on both of them that's for sure, I would just wait for the PC version. But if you reaally want the game, lean towards the one that seems to be better in general, which is PS4 in my opinion at the moment.

Not going to buy another console thats just wasting money

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Probably the PS3. All footage they have shown us so far is from the PS3 version of the game, which would suggest to me that it is the better performing or looking of the two.

It's an impressive looking game, especially considering the hardware it's running on at the moment is so outdated. PC version should be great.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

It is now clear that there is going to be a pc version as it has kind of been spoken about in recent weeks.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Rockstar is NOT planning on releasing GTA: V on PS4 or Xbox One

They said they were not planning on doing a PC Version either. 

So looks like you can only pick from PS3 or Xbox 360. Wherever you have more friends playing GTA: V get it for that console. If you have more friends buying the PS3 version get it on PS3, if you have more friends playing the Xbox 360 version, get it on the 360. Online looks really fun and its even more fun with your friends. This is the biggest factor in choosing what platform to get a game on (for me anyways)

If you don't have friends getting GTA:V I would get the PS3 version. You get one disc (two discs if you get it on 360) plus the graphics on PS3 would most likely be better. But that's just an assumption, we won't know until it comes out. 

Rockstar is NOT planning on releasing GTA: V on PS4 or Xbox One

They said they were not planning on doing a PC Version either. 

So looks like you can only pick from PS3 or Xbox 360. Wherever you have more friends playing GTA: V get it for that console. If you have more friends buying the PS3 version get it on PS3, if you have more friends playing the Xbox 360 version, get it on the 360. Online looks really fun and its even more fun with your friends. This is the biggest factor in choosing what platform to get a game on (for me anyways)

If you don't have friends getting GTA:V I would get the PS3 version. You get one disc (two discs if you get it on 360) plus the graphics on PS3 would most likely be better. But that's just an assumption, we won't know until it comes out. 

The Xbox 360 specs are better and blueray doesn't make a difference in games...The Xbox is more powerful so i might just get it on that ...

The Xbox 360 specs are better and blueray doesn't make a difference in games...The Xbox is more powerful so i might just get it on that ...

Meh Xbox being more powerful..... and bluray does makes a difference because they don't scratch as easily. Plus the PS3 does not ruin your discs. 

PS3 is more powerful. Xbox is more versatile and much easier to code for.

In short, if Rockstar have done a good job with the PS3 version it should be better than the Xbox version. Trouble is multiplatform games are practically always developed on the Xbox first then ported (badly) to PS3 and PC.

I would get it for PS3 unless you plan to play online than go for the Xbox version

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

In short, if Rockstar have done a good job with the PS3 version it should be better than the Xbox version. Trouble is multiplatform games are practically always developed on the Xbox first then ported (badly) to PS3 and PC.

Well after saying that any argument for ps3 is kind of invalid?

Also i find the PS3 drops back to 720p wheres the xbox stays at 1080p

The xbox has double the ram and a better gpu?

No you have mixed the two around. Also, It is just up-scaling it to 1080p which will not lend any visual improvement. Blu ray will make a big difference in gaming as you will not have to change the stupid disc half way through the game. They show the ps3 version of the game because it most likely is the better version. However, I think the difference between the 2 is too small. Just get one your friends are on. If you have no friends that are getting it, get the ps3 version. Having to put a disc in this day and age is already stupid. Having to change it half way through is just ridiculous

Xbox 360 has 512MB of memory shared between the system and the GPU. The PS3 has 256MB of RAM for the system and 256MB of RAM for the GPU - in other words they're essentially identical.

The PS3 does indeed have a terrible GPU, and the Xbox 360 has a better one. However, the Cell CPU is considerably more powerful than the Xenos CPU used in the Xbox 360 - it was originally intended to be responsible for both general and graphical processing tasks without the need for a dedicated GPU. For this reason, the Cell excels (heh) at assisting the RSX GPU with tasks, quite often taking over altogether for some things.

This is why there are so many impressive games graphically on the PlayStation. Developers are utilising the power of the Cell CPU to significantly boost the graphical fidelity achievable on the system.

As for resolution - the Xbox 360 has a dedicated upscaler chip which allows it to upscale all content to 1080p. The PS3 does not have this - however, there is no need for one. 720p will always be 720p, and upscaling it will not magically improve it. GTA V will run natively at roughly 720p on both consoles. The Xbox will say it is running at 1080p, but it isn't.

Having to put a disc in this day and age is already stupid. Having to change it half way through is just ridiculous

The 360 version will have a mandatory install of the first disc which takes up 8GB. There is no way to tell which version will be superior until the game comes out. I'm sure many tech sites will record gameplay from both systems in lossless format, and then analyse the footage.

^ Again though, Rockstar have confirmed that all footage shown so far is from the PlayStation 3 version of the game. Logically that would suggest that the PS3 version is the better performing and or looking of the two - Rockstar wouldn't use the lesser version to showcase their game. They'd play their best card.

Supposition I admit, but it makes sense all the same.

Whiskers, you herd that a lot on E3 but most of the games were on PC

Whiskers, you herd that a lot on E3 but most of the games were on PC

Not exactly. At E3 some of the games were running on development kits (PCs which roughly emulate the software and hardware of a console in lieu of the console itself being available / possible) but most were according to Microsoft and Sony running in real-time on the consoles themselves.

I think It's safe to assume that Rockstar recorded the game footage from a dev-kit for the sake of simplicity and practicality. And if they chose the PS3 version over the Xbox version it's likely they did it because of performance and / or quality reasons - why else would they choose it?

It will come to PC in the May next year. Every GTA has been released on PC one year after the console one and in May.

Theres also this: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/09/rockstar-job-listing-hints-at-possible-gta-5-pc-release/

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

Found this why i was looking to see what evidence i could find on which will be better:

http://www.examiner.com/article/gta-5-ps3-graphics-issues-revealed?cid=taboola_inbound

thoughts?

Found this why i was looking to see what evidence i could find on which will be better:

http://www.examiner.com/article/gta-5-ps3-graphics-issues-revealed?cid=taboola_inbound

thoughts?

Old article has no merit. it would have been in beta at that time.

They will both be so similar you won't notice a difference. Get it on a platform your friends are getting it on and if they aren't getting it than go for the PS3 version. Both will have bugs and glitches and pop in textures but most will be fixed with patches.

If you can wait and have a good enough machine I would say get it for PC. But I can tell you if it is anything like GTA4 it is going to be the buggies, lagiest, unoptomized piece of shit video game I've ever seen. PC version will probably not look any different like GTA4 does but it will have mods. Hopefully supported this time.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

^ Again though, Rockstar have confirmed that all footage shown so far is from the PlayStation 3 version of the game. Logically that would suggest that the PS3 version is the better performing and or looking of the two - Rockstar wouldn't use the lesser version to showcase their game. They'd play their best card.

Supposition I admit, but it makes sense all the same.

http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/gta-v-on-ps3-and-xbox-360-choosing-the-right-platform/

When GTA IV was released, several gaming sites made test confirming Xbox 360 edges PS3 a little bit with respect to graphics rendering, anti-aliasing and shadow overlays.

If you’re that type of player who cares about graphics performance, then Xbox 360 might be the one for you 

From the article^^

http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/gta-v-on-ps3-and-xbox-360-choosing-the-right-platform/

When GTA IV was released, several gaming sites made test confirming Xbox 360 edges PS3 a little bit with respect to graphics rendering, anti-aliasing and shadow overlays.

If you’re that type of player who cares about graphics performance, then Xbox 360 might be the one for you 

From the article^^

Yes, but that was back in 2008 or so.

Things have changed quite a bit since then. Developers now properly understand the PS3's architecture and are in a much better position to take advantage of the Cell's power than they were back then.

GTA IV's performance and quality shouldn't be used to draw conclusions about the performance and quality of GTA V.