An Idea, But Will it Work?

jamie.k.hofer

So I had the idea of instead of setting up WOL on my PC, I would use the power header on the MOBO and attach the positive and the negative to an Arduino Uno. My question is, is it possible to allow two connections on an Arduino to allow current to pass between them on command? If not, what is the standard voltage/current that passes through the power positive and negative terminals when they are connected?

So I had the idea of instead of setting up WOL on my PC, I would use the power header on the MOBO and attach the positive and the negative to an Arduino Uno. My question is, is it possible to allow two connections on an Arduino to allow current to pass between them on command? If not, what is the standard voltage/current that passes through the power positive and negative terminals when they are connected?

The item you seek is called a relay. It's essentially a power-controlled switch, but the switch that the lower current one controls allows for massive amounts of power (some up to 120A on consumer ones)

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

The item you seek is called a relay. It's essentially a power-controlled switch, but the switch that the lower current one controls allows for massive amounts of power (some up to 120A on consumer ones)

So there is no relay built in to the Arduino?

So there is no relay built in to the Arduino?

No, but there are several prebuilt daughterboards that offer what you want in a convenient package. :)