I upgraded and now I lagg? [SOLVED]

TaiGeXGaming
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Suppose you try disabling all of the C states and Speedstep. Does that make a difference?

Your CPU is getting around 1/4 of what im getting on passmark, its almost like 3 of the cores are turned off.

Just make sure all 4 are enabled in the BIOS. also might be worth updating the bios

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Well, I've spent £2,201 on my computer and I can't utilize any of it properly.  So yeah, pretty annoyed.  May just need SCAN to replace my part.

Replace the things you need replaced. The graphics card and things seem to be fine.. Just to be sure, i'd replace your motherboard and CPU. Just in case its either one of them. However its more than likely the CPU. Do what super_skank has suggested.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Replace the things you need replaced. The graphics card and things seem to be fine.. Just to be sure, i'd replace your motherboard and CPU. Just in case its either one of them. However its more than likely the CPU. Do what super_skank has suggested.

Your CPU is getting around 1/4 of what im getting on passmark, its almost like 3 of the cores are turned off.

Just make sure all 4 are enabled in the BIOS. also might be worth updating the bios

All 4 cores are enabled.

I tried my old ram in this computer and it did the same thing as before.  It clocked it down to 666Mhz so it means it's the motherboard which I either set up wrong, or it's faulty but I can't seem to find a guide anywhere for the bios set up.

All 4 cores are enabled.

I tried my old ram in this computer and it did the same thing as before.  It clocked it down to 666Mhz so it means it's the motherboard which I either set up wrong, or it's faulty but I can't seem to find a guide anywhere for the bios set up.

I doubt thats the reason as the saying its running at 666MHz is normal. 

Thats what mine says. I have 1333MHz RAM. 2i78vol.png

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

All 4 cores are enabled.

I tried my old ram in this computer and it did the same thing as before. It clocked it down to 666Mhz so it means it's the motherboard which I either set up wrong, or it's faulty but I can't seem to find a guide anywhere for the bios set up.

If its running at 1333MHz, it'll show up at 666MHz. This is because 1333 is the effective speed, because DDR stands for Double Data Rate, which means any speed(666 for instance) will double.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Download trial version of AIDA64 (if is available), go to the benchmark, and run some CPU benchmarks (CPU Qieen for example) few times (by pressing F5 key). Watch if freq. of CPU is always the same, or if changes all the time (from run to run).

Didn't read whole thread, have you tried to set power plan (in control panel) to high performance? Did you tried to disable core states and similar power saving features in BIOS? Did you checked temperature of the CPU (maybe CPU do throttling because if the high temperature)? Maybe you tried all this, didn't read whole thread.

Download trial version of AIDA64 (if is available), go to the benchmark, and run some CPU benchmarks (CPU Qieen for example) few times (by pressing F5 key). Watch if freq. of CPU is always the same, or if changes all the time (from run to run).

Didn't read whole thread, have you tried to set power plan (in control panel) to high performance? Did you tried to disable core states and similar power saving features in BIOS? Did you checked temperature of the CPU (maybe CPU do throttling because if the high temperature)? Maybe you tried all this, didn't read whole thread.

Been running performance tests all day and it's doing nothing.  They all say the same thing no matter what.  My friend helped me fix the RAM, but the processor won't go higher than a rating of 4K, even though we overclocked it to 4.2Ghz - It stays at 2Ghz max.

If its running at 1333MHz, it'll show up at 666MHz. This is because 1333 is the effective speed, because DDR stands for Double Data Rate, which means any speed(666 for instance) will double.

It's fine I fixed the RAM now.

I doubt thats the reason as the saying its running at 666MHz is normal. 

Thats what mine says. I have 1333MHz RAM. 2i78vol.png

^

Ok so something is obviously not working properly. Instead of running in circles and run bench after bench, you should try to isolate problems as much as possible.

We already figured your graphics card is working properly and your RAM is fine (right ?). Now there's a problem with CPU throttling.

The best way would be to try your CPU on a different (and working) 1150 motherboard and see if the throttling still happens. That would indicate a mobo problem.

On the contrary, if the throttling disappear, it leads to either a bad motherboard or a bad configuration (happens more often than not, believe me !).

I dunno if you have a mate with an 1150 build but worst case scenarion, RMA the whole (mobo + CPU) and cross fingers !

Ok so something is obviously not working properly. Instead of running in circles and run bench after bench, you should try to isolate problems as much as possible.

We already figured your graphics card is working properly and your RAM is fine (right ?). Now there's a problem with CPU throttling.

The best way would be to try your CPU on a different (and working) 1150 motherboard and see if the throttling still happens. That would indicate a mobo problem.

On the contrary, if the throttling disappear, it leads to either a bad motherboard or a bad configuration (happens more often than not, believe me !).

I dunno if you have a mate with an 1150 build but worst case scenarion, RMA the whole (mobo + CPU) and cross fingers !

Yeah, I'm thinking that I should RMA the mobo and the CPU completely.  Do I need to have every single bit of original packaging?  Because I may of thrown odd little bits away that I didn't think I would need, such as little ties, the anti static bag etc.  For the processor I threw away the small little plastic holder.

If I could find a good config guide for the mobo, then I would be happy because that could at least rule out that problem anyway.

I literally only have the box and the foam for the mobo oh my god

ESD bags can be purchased if you cannot find your original bag.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

And get that plastic protection for your CPU while you're at it, haha. Sorry you have to go through crap like that, really.

It honestly really sucks.  I'd love to get a guide on how to set up the mobo in case I have it wrong, but I just can't seem to find one anywhere.

i doubt the motherboard is set wrong, as they pretty much auto dial themselves in these days, 

you should send both back with a covering letter explaining the issue. they will test, one of them will be faulty for sure, can't say for sure until the CPU has been tested in a different motherboard.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

taigex... do you have the latest intel chipset drivers from intel.com installed? make sure you run the installer with the -overall tag.

Been running performance tests all day and it's doing nothing.  They all say the same thing no matter what.  My friend helped me fix the RAM, but the processor won't go higher than a rating of 4K, even though we overclocked it to 4.2Ghz - It stays at 2Ghz max.

That is CPU throttling for some reason, i really doubt it is faulty hardware (never saw that type of fault), I'm very convinced that is the problem in BIOS or Windows with power saving settings. I guess temperatures are fine. But, if there is a hardware problem, it is motherboard for sure. 

This is happening to me to! D: i updated my drivers to 320.49 and i lost a good 20-30fps in both bf3 and mafia 2 >:C going back to 314.XX and ill tell you my results, this could be your issue. going back to 314.22 driver fixed my fps issue, not sure about you but here http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.22-whql-driver.html

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Just out of curiosity, have you checked to see which bios/uefi revision your motherboard is currently using? The Asus Z87 boards shipped with a very early Bios/UEFI revision when released. It was like in the 800's, their first official release on support.asus.com is rev 1007 and the latest being rev 1205. I would update it regardless since the early revision was pure crap especially when trying to overclock.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=SABERTOOTH+Z87&p=1&s=45

For some reason, my RAM is in 666Mhz.  It's meant to be on 1866Mhx.

Kv9gWDP.png

That could be it... Do you know how to change it?

I just changed it in BIOS.  It said it was at 1333Mhz, so I changed it to 1866 but in Speccy right now, it says that I have it clocked at 901Mhz.  I just overclocked my CPU but for some reason it didn't save and it's really annoying, what's going on?!

ill download the program and see if it shows the right speeds for me.

The program shows wrong speeds for mee too...

What program could I use instead please?

what Speccy showed was the actual frequency of the RAM not the bandwidth frequency. DDR (Double Data Rate) so you have double off speed the Speccy report. duds

Just out of curiosity, have you checked to see which bios/uefi revision your motherboard is currently using? The Asus Z87 boards shipped with a very early Bios/UEFI revision when released. It was like in the 800's, their first official release on support.asus.com is rev 1007 and the latest being rev 1205. I would update it regardless since the early revision was pure crap especially when trying to overclock.

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=SABERTOOTH+Z87&p=1&s=45

I'll update them again soon

EDIT:  Is their a download-all part?

This is happening to me to! D: i updated my drivers to 320.49 and i lost a good 20-30fps in both bf3 and mafia 2 >:C going back to 314.XX and ill tell you my results, this could be your issue. going back to 314.22 driver fixed my fps issue, not sure about you but here http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-314.22-whql-driver.html

I tried back dating my GPU, but it's not the GPU that's the problem since it works fine in my old PC (Which I am now currently using).

That is CPU throttling for some reason, i really doubt it is faulty hardware (never saw that type of fault), I'm very convinced that is the problem in BIOS or Windows with power saving settings. I guess temperatures are fine. But, if there is a hardware problem, it is motherboard for sure. 

I looked for hours to find a good guide but couldn't find one, so I wouldn't know if they were set up wrong.  i tried optimal, extreme, default etc for for overall, but it didn't help.

taigex... do you have the latest intel chipset drivers from intel.com installed? make sure you run the installer with the -overall tag.

Yeah but I'll double check soon

i doubt the motherboard is set wrong, as they pretty much auto dial themselves in these days, 

you should send both back with a covering letter explaining the issue. they will test, one of them will be faulty for sure, can't say for sure until the CPU has been tested in a different motherboard.

It's an overclocking motherboard and it's supposed to set everything to low or something like that (A friend told me this about the Z87 Sabertooth, but I don't know)

Yeah :)

Just swapped out my new RAM for my old RAM, but Speccy says it's still 666 MHz.  Does that mean it's clocked at 1333MHz, because it's dual channel?

7HS1Xml.png

It did the same with my other RAM :/

EDIT:  Playing a game now to see if it works better

That mean you are getting 666Mhz*2=1333Mhz not because of dual channel but because how DDR RAM work.

and I should add check you motherboard BIOS/UEFI version and update to the latest version.

that should fix most of the problem.

That mean you are getting 666Mhz*2=1333Mhz not because of dual channel but because how DDR RAM work.

and I should add check you motherboard BIOS/UEFI version and update to the latest version.

that should fix most of the problem.

Yep just having a game on my old computer and then I'm updating it.  I hope it will fix the problem.  I'm on the page, though, but I can't find a download link anywhere?  http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=SABERTOOTH+Z87&p=1&s=45

Did we consider installing windows again, yet?

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410