Single GPU or SLI Set-Up (Titan X or 980SLI)

AdrianHasGame

Hey guys. So I'm in a bit of a pinch here. I am wondering which would be better in terms of editing videos and photos and SFX, and which would be better in gaming. I'm planning on using a P279Q with it. I'm pretty sure that dual 980's would probably be better in terms of gaming but I'm not sure if editing programs would actually end up utilizing both cards well. The 12GB of VRAM is also there, I'm not sure if that would really impact performance that much, but that's why I came here, to ask you guys. Also I don't know why some people choose single GPU solutions over the second tiers in SLI, like @AntVenom and Austin Evans, I would like to know why as well. Thanks guys!

EDIT: I meant PB279Q

MY PC: Some random ok-ish laptop

What do you use right now?

Because he had a hard drive.

Hey guys. So I'm in a bit of a pinch here. I am wondering which would be better in terms of editing videos and photos and SFX, and which would be better in gaming. I'm planning on using a P279Q with it. I'm pretty sure that dual 980's would probably be better in terms of gaming but I'm not sure if editing programs would actually end up utilizing both cards well. The 12GB of VRAM is also there, I'm not sure if that would really impact performance that much, but that's why I came here, to ask you guys. Also I don't know why some people choose single GPU solutions over the second tiers in SLI, like @AntVenom and Austin Evans, I would like to know why as well. Thanks guys!

not all games run/scale well with SLI, and maybe you just need the extra ram on the single gpu because SLI doesnt count up the memory

i use 2x 980s in SLI, and they work great for gaming. i don't know how they would do for video editing as i don't do any of that, but i'm pretty sure 2x980s out class a single titan X

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

not all games run/scale well with SLI, and maybe you just need the extra ram on the single gpu because SLI doesnt count up the memory

most good games do.

also DX12 is supposed to combine VRAM totals. we'll see.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

The 980s would have better performance, but the titan x would be easier to set up, and you wouldn't have to conflict with drivers. both are way overkill for  1440p 60hz, especially for gaming. Titan x is also cheaper, but they are out of stock quite a bit.

Choice is yours.

If I've said something wrong, please correct me

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
 Laptop Which I Use For Everything: 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Planned 100Gb/s Newtork Tester
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS

Generally single large is better than SLI for 1 reason.. It's stable across all games, whereas SLI doesn't work in all games or scales very badly in others.

SLI will give you better raw performance but it doesn't translate brilliantly to real world.

That said I'm not against SLI (running dual 780's) as long as you understand it's not as simple as double the performance.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

The 980s would have better performance, but the titan x would be easier to set up, and you wouldn't have to conflict with drivers. both are way overkill for  1440p 60hz, especially for gaming. Titan x is also cheaper, but they are out of stock quite a bit.

Choice is yours.

PG279Q is 4k 60Hz

EDIT: I meant PB279Q

most good games do.

also DX12 is supposed to combine VRAM totals. we'll see.

That will depend on game devs writing the engine in a way that enables it.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

PG279Q is 4k 60Hz

sorry about that.

Have you checked out Jayz two cents video on the titan x?

If it was me I would get the titan x IF it was in stock, but the 980s would serve you extremely well.

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS

sorry about that.

Have you checked out Jayz two cents video on the titan x?

If it was me I would get the titan x IF it was in stock, but the 980s would serve you extremely well.

I'm concerned about Video and Photo Editing and Video SFX. In gaming I'm sure the 980's would outperform the Titan X

Pretty much found exactly what I needed: 

Pretty much found exactly what I needed: 

Just go with the Titan X. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Just go with the Titan X. 

Why do you think I should?

Also, the 980's in SLI do beat the Titan X in gaming, but only by about 15% more or less. I am interested in the 12GB of VRAM though, which is why I'm considering it.

SLI cannot be taken advantage of by a lot of games and programs. Performance might be up in some games, but not all. And you will have to stick with the 4GB on the 980. (For rendering or CAD design, its a big deal.) 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

I'm concerned about Video and Photo Editing and Video SFX. In gaming I'm sure the 980's would outperform the Titan X

As I said before, the 980s would outperform the titan x but the titan x would be easier to work with (no SLI issues with drivers etc). IF you need the performance, then get the 980s, but if you want an easier and more elegant solution, get the titan x.

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Really Old Desktop 
 40 GB/s Network Tester

I think I'm going to go with a single Titan X because I'm probably going to be dual booting OSX Yosemite and Windows 8.1. OSX Yosemite has no SLI Support.

EDIT: I'm probably not going to even find one any time soon. :(

I'm still kinda debating though on which would be better for my needs. I don't think I would really NEED OSX anyway..

I'm still kinda debating though on which would be better for my needs. I don't think I would really NEED OSX anyway..

I personally hate OSX, and the problem is if you are in the apple ecosystem it is difficult to get out of it. If you need to dual boot, I would highly recommend a version of Linux (preferably fedora 21).

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Really Old Desktop 
 40 GB/s Network Tester

how long is DX12 away?

it's comming this summer with windows 10

I personally hate OSX, and the problem is if you are in the apple ecosystem it is difficult to get out of it. If you need to dual boot, I would highly recommend a version of Linux (preferably fedora 21).

I have never personally used OSX, I'm just planning to.

I have never personally used OSX, I'm just planning to.

Unless there is software that you specifically need to use on OSX and that isn't compatible on Windows or Linux, I wouldn't use it.

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Really Old Desktop 
 40 GB/s Network Tester

Why do you think I should?

Also, the 980's in SLI do beat the Titan X in gaming, but only by about 15% more or less. I am interested in the 12GB of VRAM though, which is why I'm considering it.

You just answered why you should.

With my non expert opinion, the Titan X will last a helluva lot longer than SLI 980s because of the VRAM. Not to mention the very rare problem that arises with having SLI that nobody likes dealing with. Plus with the Titan X, you can say you own a glorious Titan. I say get the Titan X (I'm getting one soon B)). 

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))