Console to PC (so far)

Hey everyone, so after a long time as a console gamer and after countless of Build videos i switched to PC.

With the budget i had i got these:

CPU - AMD FX 6350

GPU - Nvidia GTX 960 (MSI gaming 2G)

RAM - 2x4 Corsair Balistix at 1600Ghz

and an SSD for the OS 'n stuff.

MOBO and Case pretty cheap.

This my first build, but i am pretty happy with how it works these last few days.
So yeah, anything i could do different?
I do plan on overclocking (very carefully) as soon i get a proper heat sink, does the MOBO have anything to do with how much i can overclock the CPU?

Glad i am finally part of the PC community and i now can go and shout at people about how much consoles suck. :P

Wait, did you already build this? Why did you get a 4 year old processor? Can you still return?

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

Good job :) For a first PC the FX is not all bad over the i3 since you can get some experience with overclocking. Also won't see bottlenecks with the 960 and FX :D The FX-6300 would've done about the same and costed a little less, since you planned to overclock anyway. You need to list your motherboard though so you can tell if you CAN overclock. The VRMs (Motherboard's power delivery system to the CPU) need good cooling to overclock AMD FX CPUs! If you upgrade later you will have to upgrade the CPU first

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Good job :) For a first PC the FX is nice over the i3 since you can get some experience with overclocking. Also won't see bottlenecks with the 960 and FX :D

You WILL see bottlenecks with the FX and the 960...

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

You WILL see bottlenecks with the FX and the 960...

Not in new games. Don't butt in just to hate on AMD CPUs. This is a video I took with my FX-6300 4.2ghz and my GTX 970

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Wait, did you already build this? Why did you get a 4 year old processor? Can you still return?

Why a 6350 and why a 960?

My budget only reached that far, from what i saw that's the best for that price.

Good job :) For a first PC the FX is nice over the i3 since you can get some experience with overclocking. Also won't see bottlenecks with the 960 and FX :D The FX-6300 would've done about the same and costed a little less, since you planned to overclock anyway. You need to list your motherboard though so you can tell if you CAN overclock. The VRMs (Motherboard's power delivery system to the CPU) need good cooling to overclock AMD FX CPUs!

Well i got Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0, and i have no idea if that will do or not.

Not in new games. Don't butt in just to hate on AMD CPUs. This is a video I took with my FX-6300 4.2ghz and my GTX 970

On a game that was designed to run on AMD*

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

My budget only reached that far, from what i saw that's the best for that price.

Well i got Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0, and i have no idea if that will do or not.

Actually, an R9 280/280x would have been better and an i3 would also be better

You will not be able to overclock on that motherboard.  Heck, you might even have problems running the FX6 at stock speeds on that mobo.

If its been within 30 days, I HIGHLY recommend that you return the CPU and mobo and buy an i3 + H81/B85 motherboard.

We're very happy to have you a part of the PC community, and as part of the Linus Tech Tips community.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

"that's the best for that price"

K

An i3-i5 is in that price range

Also a 280(x) will wreck that 960 in the same price bracket

I hadn't realized you could still return. I just didn't want you to feel buyer's remorse if you've had this for a while. Yes an i3 would be better, and you should not overclock on that motherboard. Your graphics card is fine, don't change that

I hadn't realized you could still return. I just didn't want you to feel buyer's remorse if you've had this for a while. Yes an i3 would be better, and you should not overclock on that motherboard. Your graphics card is fine, don't change that

280 or 280x would have been better...

It's funny how the PC master race is toxic to everyone. ^_^

Instead of helping out a newbie just hating, oh well.

Hey everyone, so after a long time as a console gamer and after countless of Build videos i switched to PC.

With the budget i had i got these:

CPU - AMD FX 6350

GPU - Nvidia GTX 960 (MSI gaming 2G)

RAM - 2x4 Corsair Balistix at 1600Ghz

and an SSD for the OS 'n stuff.

MOBO and Case pretty cheap.

This my first build, but i am pretty happy with how it works these last few days.
So yeah, anything i could do different?
I do plan on overclocking (very carefully) as soon i get a proper heat sink, does the MOBO have anything to do with how much i can overclock the CPU?

Glad i am finally part of the PC community and i now can go and shout at people about how much consoles suck. :P

i wouldve grabbed an intel pentium g3258 personally.

askdjfasdf

I'm not sure if you care or can wait but I remember the FX-8350 being $100 bucks back around December. Maybe it's just me but I notice hardware gets super cheap around the Holidays. 

Thanks for the tip, you live you learn. :)

It's funny how the PC master race is toxic to everyone. ^_^

Instead of helping out a newbie just hating, oh well.

Everyone here is trying to help except for the guy still living in 2005.

280 or 280x would have been better...

Okay. 

Personally I hate AMD graphics drivers

Good job :) For a first PC the FX is not all bad over the i3 since you can get some experience with overclocking. Also won't see bottlenecks with the 960 and FX :D The FX-6300 would've done about the same and costed a little less, since you planned to overclock anyway. You need to list your motherboard though so you can tell if you CAN overclock. The VRMs (Motherboard's power delivery system to the CPU) need good cooling to overclock AMD FX CPUs! If you upgrade later you will have to upgrade the CPU first

fx 6300 is garb

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Okay. 

Personally I hate AMD graphics drivers

Still not gonna watch videos, I look from REPUTABLE benchmarkers, not shit youtubers looking for subs -

post-165109-0-95575000-1429138724_thumb.

post-165109-0-57100400-1429138725_thumb.

post-165109-0-00505300-1429138726_thumb.

post-165109-0-48658400-1429138727_thumb.

fx 6300 is garb

It's not garbage :/ you can just do better. It performs well in new games but the i3 is better

It's not garbage :/ you can just do better. It performs well in new games but the i3 is better

It does not, who told you that?