Console to PC (so far)

It will work fine with anything Haswell.  For Haswell refresh/Devil's Canyon, you would need a BIOS update though, and that requires a Haswell chip.  Haswell to Devil's Canyon is nothing though, its the same architecture and everything, so you could just buy an i5-4670k + that mobo and be solid.

I could maybe bring it to a computer shop for the BIOS update. Or RMA and ask ASUS to bios update it, which has worked for some people in the past

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

two cores is enough for gaming actually itd destroy that amd cpu easy especially since the intels raw power of each core is definetly greater. but problem with some games even launching sadly.

Yeah

Ubisoft needs to die in a hole

I could maybe bring it to a computer shop for the BIOS update. Or RMA and ask ASUS to bios update it, which has worked for some people in th -snip-

People dont like that. People like computers to be like -

1. Assemble

2. Plug in wires

3. Turn on

Bios updating without a cpu is a hassle

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

two cores is enough for gaming actually itd destroy that amd cpu easy especially since the intels raw power of each core is definetly greater. but problem with some games even launching sadly.

Really depends on games in this case. I went to look up some comparisons and all I found was youtube videos of some guy testing Rome 2 and World of Tanks rofl. I'd like to see a good comparison between these. Also the Pentium won't even launch some new games... Someone on this forum asked Rockstar if he could play GTA V on his pentium, and they said no a quad core is a must. But then apparently it does launch and play? Game developers confuse me

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Yeah

Ubisoft needs to die in a hole

People dont like that. People like computers to be like -

1. Assemble

2. Plug in wires

3. Turn on

Bios updating without a cpu is a hassle

right?! its such a great little cpu for the price its absolutely amazing.

askdjfasdf

Really depends on games in this case. I went to look up some comparisons and all I found was youtube videos of some guy testing Rome 2 and World of Tanks rofl. I'd like to see a good comparison between these. Also the Pentium won't even launch some new games...

yep that is what i said because of games like far cry 4 which is total bullshit.

askdjfasdf

Really depends on games in this case. I went to look up some comparisons and all I found was youtube videos of some guy testing Rome 2 and World of Tanks rofl. I'd like to see a good comparison between these. Also the Pentium won't even launch some new games...

Anandtech.com

Why the fuck do you look at youtube videos. 80% of them are innacurate

Anandtech.com

Why the fuck do you look at youtube videos. 80% of them are innacurate

to be fair though didnt luke do a video on how many cores are need for gaming just within the week? and i think the pentium was used in that video. correct me if im wrong.

askdjfasdf

to be fair though didnt luke do a video on how many cores are need for gaming just within the week? and i think the pentium was used in that video. correct me if im wrong.

I'm not sure, I thought they just used one CPU and went about disabling cores in the BIOS

I'm not sure, I thought they just used one CPU and went about disabling cores in the BIOS

thatd be an in accurate comparison then and really wouldnt have been a viable test id say.

askdjfasdf

thatd be an in accurate comparison then and really wouldnt have been a viable test id say.

Why inaccurate? They wanted to see how the number of threads on a CPU changed gaming. So the only variable they changed was number of threads. They don't seem to  get into all the AMD vs Intel crap anymore

Why inaccurate? They wanted to see how the number of threads on a CPU changed gaming. So the only variable they changed was number of threads. They don't seem to  get into all the AMD vs Intel crap anymore

you mean cores not threads i believe. and because can you honestly compare an 8 core that has only 2 cores available to an actual dual core like the pentium g3258?

askdjfasdf

you mean cores not threads i believe. and because can you honestly compare an 8 core that has only 2 cores available to an actual dual core like the pentium g3258?

The variable affecting that isn't amount of cores. It's amount of IPC (@Faceman I said it with you)

The variable affecting that isn't amount of cores. It's amount of IPC (@Faceman I said it with you)

The amount of IPC is the same for all Haswell and Haswell-E processors.

ah you are right it was to simulate but still....i think a better comparison would be actually using a pentium g3258 and i5 then an i7 then the 6 core and 8 core i7's just because i think itd be a more fair comparison but im also very very very picky in the tests just because im anal.

askdjfasdf

is it enough, in some games yes, but for $40-$50 more an i3 would perform much better in games because of its hyperthreading

The amount of IPC is the same for all Haswell and Haswell-E processors.

He was talking about comparing the AMD 8 cores to the dual core Intel (I think)

is it enough, in some games yes, but for $40-$50 more an i3 would perform much better in games because of its hyperthreading

thats actually not true......hyper threading as of right now doesnt make much of a difference. 

askdjfasdf

You are extremely rare then, because it is almost unprecedented that it works. 4+1 is not beefy, its incredibly weak. If you try and tell people that it works, I will report you because you are promoting false information.

My scenario isn't rare, but if I can overclock my 8 core then I'll be a rare scenario. If the processors truly drew to much power, then the board wouldn't support those processors. Even if Gigabyte was dumb with the processor support, everyones boards would catch on fire and they would have terrible reviews, which I fail to see in full scale(there might be a few people that have fried their boards, but its within the margin of error).

I just want to clarify something: 4+1 is not a measurement of power, and is just stating the amount of phases of power there is. 4+1 could mean 10A or 100A, you don't know unless if you are the engineer that built that board or have the knowledge of how the board was designed and the components used. Asus shot down the "more phases are better" years ago when they released a board with half the phases of the competition and delivered more power(this was discussed on a old WAN show). I can tell you from using this board that the VRM is beefy, but the lack of phases gives it a more "rough" power(ripple, interference) that will hinder overclocks.

Feel free to report me if you feel like I am spreading false information, just note that from an outside perspective it looks like you are just overreacting to a differing opinion.

He was talking about the 5960x...

comparing amd to intel where? 

askdjfasdf

thats actually not true......hyper threading as of right now doesnt make much of a difference. 

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/chaostheory/2015/04/gtav/charts5/gtav_vhigh_cpu.png

in gta v its only out performing one i3. this is just one game but why would the g3258 be better than an i3?(i am thinking about using it in an upcoming build)

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/chaostheory/2015/04/gtav/charts5/gtav_vhigh_cpu.png

in gta v its only out performing one i3. this is just one game but why would the g3258 be better than an i3?(i am thinking about using it in an upcoming build)

price to performance its a great lil cpu and luke did do a video on something like this about dual core hyper threading vs non hyper threading and the performance is so slight its not worth the price i feel. 

askdjfasdf

comparing amd to intel where? 

My bad then sorry :) I thought you wanted a comparison between the AMD 8 core and the intel Pentium. I completely misunderstood

My bad then sorry :) I thought you wanted a comparison between the AMD 8 core and the intel Pentium. I completely misunderstood

oh no no i was talking purely intel im very vague in the way i speak so im not surprised i was misunderstood its all good dude. 

askdjfasdf

price to performance its a great lil cpu and luke did do a video on something like this about dual core hyper threading vs non hyper threading and the performance is so slight its not worth the price i feel. 

do you have a link to the video?