All I Want Is A Fast CPU, Not An Expensive GPU

So I was looking around for a laptop with a screamer CPU that wasn't too expensive and would run cool, and I came across this:

http://www.toshiba.com/us/computers/laptops/satellite/S50/S50-BBT2N22(A i7 4720HQ? Gimme.)

Then I got scared off by the Toshiba's warranty and customer service . . . and started looking at Asus. But pretty much EVERY laptop that Asus sells with a good CPU has a monster GPU inside that will run hot and break my bank.

I'm kinda at a loss . . . is there any Asus laptop out there with an amazing CPU and integrated graphics?

SNIP

Maybe look into Dell? some of their laptops and ultrabooks can be specced up quite high

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Like this one? Or this one? Narrowing down their filters there don't seem to be many more options, but a core i7 with a full hd ips display in the 550jk is really not bad...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Maybe look into Dell? some of their laptops and ultrabooks can be specced up quite high

So expensive, though . . . if I was going to buy from them I might as well buy an Asus . . .

So expensive, though . . . if I was going to buy from them I might as well buy an Asus . . .

Depends on the model you are looking at

most modern laptops do not focus on performance outside of gaming/professional laptops which is probably why you are having a hard time

Why :D I wouldnt necessarily say Asus have better laptops, in fact most of the cheap Asus models we sold in my store were just as unreliable as any other brand :D 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah I found the ASUS N551JB-CN029H-BE

Oh, that is beautiful! Where can I buy it, though?

Why :D I wouldnt necessarily say Asus have better laptops, in fact most of the cheap Asus models we sold in my store were just as unreliable as any other brand :D

But they have great customer service and a two-year warranty with one year of accidental damage. B)

But they have great customer service and a two-year warranty with one year of accidental damage. B)

They don't have that here :P

Try a lenovo thinkpad, or maybe a dell XPS 13, both have monster cpus that I think you will like.

So I was looking around for a laptop with a screamer CPU that wasn't too expensive and would run cool, and I came across this:

Screamer CPU... what is your intention for use?

ASUS and "great customer service" does not exist.

ASUS doesn't even know what the model number of the screen in their G751JT laptop is... because "we need to find the actual laptop to tell you the model number" even though they only use one panel for that laptop model. Ever.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Screamer CPU... what is your intention for use?

ASUS and "great customer service" does not exist.

ASUS doesn't even know what the model number of the screen in their G751JT laptop is... because "we need to find the actual laptop to tell you the model number" even though they only use one panel for that laptop model. Ever.

Game development and college. I want it to last me at least 5 years without being slow, and if it doesn't have a graphics card in it, I can keep upgrading an external one.

You're in Trinidad and Tobago according to your location, but I'm in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if the customer service in your country isn't great . . . it's the same with ShadowCaptain. :P

Yeesh. All the laptops that fit my criteria aren't sold in the US. <_<

Game development and college. I want it to last me at least 5 years without being slow, and if it doesn't have a graphics card in it, I can keep upgrading an external one.

You're in Trinidad and Tobago according to your location, but I'm in the US. I wouldn't be surprised if the customer service in your country isn't great . . . it's the same with ShadowCaptain. :P

If your intention is to stress your CPU greatly, I HIGHLY suggest shelling out some more and getting a laptop that can handle its CPU. Even if you want to skimp a bit on the GPU side of things.

Also, I've never bought an ASUS. And boy am I glad for that >_>. No, my knowledge of their customer service comes from MANY MANY MANY users in the US who have used them over on NBR, who have sworn them off and will never touch them again. Because their customer service is that bad, and they have a fairly high chance of getting a "lemon". Half the USB ports won't work, or it'll freeze up randomly, or some kind of crap. And no matter how many "warranty fixes" you do, the machines keep coming back broken (usually because they use already-returned machines for repairs). It's a horror story I'd never wish on anyone, and for that reason I never if I can help it, suggest ASUS to people.

Also, you haven't listed a budget either. But you still should require a budget.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

If your intention is to stress your CPU greatly, I HIGHLY suggest shelling out some more and getting a laptop that can handle its CPU. Even if you want to skimp a bit on the GPU side of things.

Also, I've never bought an ASUS. And boy am I glad for that >_>. No, my knowledge of their customer service comes from MANY MANY MANY users in the US who have used them over on NBR, who have sworn them off and will never touch them again. Because their customer service is that bad, and they have a fairly high chance of getting a "lemon". Half the USB ports won't work, or it'll freeze up randomly, or some kind of crap. And no matter how many "warranty fixes" you do, the machines keep coming back broken (usually because they use already-returned machines for repairs). It's a horror story I'd never wish on anyone, and for that reason I never if I can help it, suggest ASUS to people.

Also, you haven't listed a budget either. But you still should require a budget.

A laptop that can handle its CPU? Please, explain.

Confusing them with Acer? Yes? No? Maybe? o_O

If it doesn't have a GPU, I would expect the laptop to be under $1000 . . .

A laptop that can handle its CPU? Please, explain.

Confusing them with Acer? Yes? No? Maybe? o_O

If it doesn't have a GPU, I would expect the laptop to be under $1000 . . .

Read my CPU guide in full detail and you'll understand what I mean.

I am not confusing with Acer.

@oriramikad similar here, wanted a decent quad core but not so much interested in the graphics card so ended up getting an entry level gaming laptop with i7-4700MQ, not a lot of choices where I live. Unfortunately the power brick and cooling are borderline for running at 3.5GHz let alone the possibility of overclocking to 5GHz. Shame really.

Maybe if you order customized you might get something decent for a good price.

Look for the Asus N551JQ. In my country all models come with Intel Core i7-4710HQ and Intel HD Graphics, which should be good enough.

And if you don't mind not going with Asus:

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E540 (i7-4702MQ)

and the aforementioned Asus N551JB.

EDIT: OR you can go with a Clevo or Sager, which is basically a barebones laptop. This allows for wider customisation. 

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

entry level gaming laptop with i7-4700MQ, not a lot of choices where I live. Unfortunately the power brick and cooling are borderline for running at 3.5GHz let alone the possibility of overclocking to 5GHz. Shame really.

WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT????????????

There is no power brick on this planet powering any laptop with an i7-4700MQ that cannot let it overclock, because when the CPU alone is running, it draws less power than a video card does. That is a ridiculous statement.

Next, a 4700MQ cannot run at 3.5GHz on all 4 cores. It is physically impossible, as its default 4-core turbo is 3.2GHz and it has a max OC allowance of +200MHz so 3.4GHz is the highest you can go. This also makes it impossible to ever even halfway dream about 5GHz. Unless you're Dufus, apparently.

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E540 (i7-4702MQ)

This will not run well. That CPU is a 37W CPU as opposed to the 47W that the other MQ chips have, and assuming that the thinkpad's BIOS is locked down such that you cannot adjust power limits to keep the CPU in check, it will throttle even harder than those pesky HQ chips. This shouldn't even be a last resort if he wants a properly beefy CPU.

WWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTT????????????

There is no power brick on this planet powering any laptop with an i7-4700MQ that cannot let it overclock, because when the CPU alone is running, it draws less power than a video card does. That is a ridiculous statement.

Next, a 4700MQ cannot run at 3.5GHz on all 4 cores. It is physically impossible, as its default 4-core turbo is 3.2GHz and it has a max OC allowance of +200MHz so 3.4GHz is the highest you can go. This also makes it impossible to ever even halfway dream about 5GHz.

IIRC I already showed you on NBR my i7-4700MQ running Linx at 3.5GHz and drawing 80W with no power limiting. The laptop is a GE60 and comes with a 120W brick and single heat pipe for the CPU.

eb21zb.png

Halfway to 5GHz is only 2.5GHz???

How far it can actually overclock will depend a lot on the chip, perhaps 5GHz is a little optimistic and somewhere nearer 4.5GHz would be more realistic.

Edit: A quick 4.2 4 cores on fixed voltage. If I get bored I might look at running higher but as previously stated it's too much for my hardware for anything half serious.

z8974a.png

Sorry oriramikad for derailing the thread, will leave you in peace now. Hope you find something good.

Read my CPU guide in full detail and you'll understand what I mean.

That was very educational. Thanks.

IIRC I already showed you on NBR my i7-4700MQ running Linx at 3.5GHz and drawing 80W with no power limiting. The laptop is a GE60 and comes with a 120W brick and single heat pipe for the CPU.

Halfway to 5GHz is only 2.5GHz???

How far it can actually overclock will depend a lot on the chip, perhaps 5GHz is a little optimistic and somewhere nearer 4.5GHz would be more realistic.

Edit: A quick 4.2 4 cores on fixed voltage. If I get bored I might look at running higher but as previously stated it's too much for my hardware for anything half serious.

I know about 4700MQ and 4800MQ running linX and pulling 80W. I did it myself. But your power brick still isn't limited by that, which was what my statement said. Again: No laptop selling with an i7 will have a power brick so small you can overdraw it by simple CPU work.

Next, I said "halfway DREAM of 5GHz." aka "dream of overclocking to 5GHz".

How far something can OC depends on the chip, but the 4700MQ is hardlocked to a +200MHz multiplier. Unless you've somehow managed to surpass that? I'd like a CPU-Z validation link for that.