CPU temperature i7-4770K

Go to solution Solved by Circs,

currently de-lidding is not something I can handle myself... guess that won't be an option for me...

Will 4790K be any better?(or worse?)

Any suggested CPU (air) cooler if i were to replace the 212x? 

One of the issues addressed in the revision/refresh that produced the 4690k and 4790k was the thermal interface between the CPU and heatspreader. It's still not what I'd call a *great* solution, but it generally performs better. The 212 x/EVO is a bit lightweight for the 4770k, but with two fan might perform a bit better. The biggest thing is that you're lacking thermal mass and while the 4770k is rated at ~84w it seems to be quite a bit toastier than that number would generally signify.

I'd probably recommend one of the dual tower dual fan Noctua things if you're going to go for broke. At ~1.25-1.3kg I usually hesitate to advise using them though. If Cooler Master still made the TPC-812 I'd be more comfortable recommending that, but it has gone the way of the dodo. Also check my sig, I have links to some thermal paste roundups (something like 140 pastes) and their performances. If you'd like to cut to the chase though GC-Extreme is very good, quite usable, non-conductive and not too difficult to obtain.

Out of curiosity why are you avoiding de-lidding? It's much easier than people make it out to be and if you're looking at throwing several hundred dollars at your rig anyways it's not much of a gamble by comparison. I did mine with a razor since I didn't like the amount of force involved in the way people were doing it with a vice. I want an i7 so I was rather cavalier though...

CPU: i7-4770K

MB: GIGABYTE Z97X-UD5H
Cooler: CM Hyper 212x

Case: NZXT H440 (stock fans + two extra exhaust on top)

Software: Core Temp

I've set the OC to 4.5GHz / 1.22v

The idle temperature after booting into OS is around 45~55 degrees, and reach over 80 degrees when running AIDA64.

This seems quite a lot hotter comparing to results on the internet.

I've tried both re-mounting the cooler and re-applying thermal paste a few times. but still get the same results.

Am I missing anything here?

CPU: i7-4770K @4.5GHz, MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H, RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz 8G x2, GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD.

Case:  NZXT H440 (white), Storage: Liteon 256GB M.2 SSD + Liteon 240GB 2.5" SSD + Hitachi 1TB x2 (RAID 1), PSU: 750W SilverStone, Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61.

Monitor: BenQ EW2440L *2, Mouse: Razer DA Chroma, Razer Orochi, AORUS M7, KB: Corsair K70 RGB, KBT RACE II, Razer BW Chroma, Razer Orbweaver Headset: AKG K512, Steelseries H Wireless

Silicon lottery m8

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Sounds like you are not a silicon lottery winner

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Seems like I don't have the luck for lotteries...

but this temperature still seems quite unusual considering it's not a major over-clock?

CPU: i7-4770K @4.5GHz, MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD5H, RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz 8G x2, GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD.

Case:  NZXT H440 (white), Storage: Liteon 256GB M.2 SSD + Liteon 240GB 2.5" SSD + Hitachi 1TB x2 (RAID 1), PSU: 750W SilverStone, Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61.

Monitor: BenQ EW2440L *2, Mouse: Razer DA Chroma, Razer Orochi, AORUS M7, KB: Corsair K70 RGB, KBT RACE II, Razer BW Chroma, Razer Orbweaver Headset: AKG K512, Steelseries H Wireless

Sounds like you're simply putting too much heat into the 212x

When in doubt: C4

You are good... I have better cooler and can't go more than 4.4GHz with those temps.

Whats you room temp? Your idles are bit on the hot side. They should be more toward 40-45C.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Room temp is around 20C. 

Whats you room temp? Your idles are bit on the hot side. They should be more toward 40-45C.

The idle temperature after booting into OS is around 45~55 degrees, and reach over 80 degrees when running AIDA64.

I've tried both re-mounting the cooler and re-applying thermal paste a few times. but still get the same results.

Ive got the h440 also, Sorry to say but that case is the worst thing known on earth for bad cooling, its quiet dont get me wrong. But for pulling air in through the front it is as bad as you can possibly get. Same for the exhaust out the top. Take the front panel off and see what you get then. 

Ive got a kraken x61 for my cooler. and without the front and top panels on my temps drop by 20c.... or take the top panel off and just put your hand behind the front fans. You can barely feel any directional air flow at all. Will be swapping my case soon tbh. gorgeous case. but air flow is terrible.

Cpu: I7 5930k @4.2Ghz, Mobo: Asus x99-S, Ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance ddr4, Gpu: x2  Evga super-clocked GTX 980's in sli,

Case:  Nzxt H440 Razer Edition, Storage: 250gb samsung 850 & x2 WD black 2TB.

PSU: 1050w Seasonic X-series gold. Cooling: Nzxt Kraken x61.

The 4770k has what is generally considered a lackluster thermal coupling to the heatspreader. You can choose to de-lid your CPU and attempt to correct this if you want. The cooler you have is approaching its limits however as it simply does not have the thermal mass to do that CPU at that frequency justice.

Before you go crazy make sure to check your test methodology. The FPU stress tests will reach much higher temperatures on these chips.

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

Ive got the h440 also, Sorry to say but that case is the worst thing known on earth for bad cooling, its quiet dont get me wrong. But for pulling air in through the front it is as bad as you can possibly get. Same for the exhaust out the top. Take the front panel off and see what you get then. 

Ive got a kraken x61 for my cooler. and without the front and top panels on my temps drop by 20c.... or take the top panel off and just put your hand behind the front fans. You can barely feel any directional air flow at all. Will be swapping my case soon tbh. gorgeous case. but air flow is terrible.

Thanks for the suggestion! Let me try taking front panel off and see if that's the issue.

(if that's the problem, will changing front fans work?)

and Yeah, I knew it has limited airflow before choosing the case. I am ok with the trade-off for its looks, just want to confirm it's within the reasonable range.

The 4770k has what is generally considered a lackluster thermal coupling to the heatspreader. You can choose to de-lid your CPU and attempt to correct this if you want. The cooler you have is approaching its limits however as it simply does not have the thermal mass to do that CPU at that frequency justice.

Before you go crazy make sure to check your test methodology. The FPU stress tests will reach much higher temperatures on these chips.

currently de-lidding is not something I can handle myself... guess that won't be an option for me...

4790k has a lottery when it comes to how well the IHS paste is applied by intel.

Mines hits mid 70s under a h100i /w 4.5@1.184v. (mid 30s idle)

One of the issues addressed in the revision/refresh that produced the 4690k and 4790k was the thermal interface between the CPU and heatspreader. It's still not what I'd call a *great* solution, but it generally performs better. The 212 x/EVO is a bit lightweight for the 4770k, but with two fan might perform a bit better. The biggest thing is that you're lacking thermal mass and while the 4770k is rated at ~84w it seems to be quite a bit toastier than that number would generally signify.

I'd probably recommend one of the dual tower dual fan Noctua things if you're going to go for broke. At ~1.25-1.3kg I usually hesitate to advise using them though. If Cooler Master still made the TPC-812 I'd be more comfortable recommending that, but it has gone the way of the dodo. Also check my sig, I have links to some thermal paste roundups (something like 140 pastes) and their performances. If you'd like to cut to the chase though GC-Extreme is very good, quite usable, non-conductive and not too difficult to obtain.

Out of curiosity why are you avoiding de-lidding? It's much easier than people make it out to be and if you're looking at throwing several hundred dollars at your rig anyways it's not much of a gamble by comparison. I did mine with a razor since I didn't like the amount of force involved in the way people were doing it with a vice. I want an i7 so I was rather cavalier though...

1. Overclock until the magic smoke comes out. 2. Modify until broken. 3. Fix and repeat.

4670k - 16GB - 290X - 1440p Freesync

Guess I'll have to either change to 4790K or the cooler.

Avoid de-lidding is just out of fear for damaging the CPU... but i guess i can practice with an old one, or with a ES sample first.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions!