Experiences with non-techies

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

any benchmarks of that out yet?

Yep:

As of right now, gaming performance is just disappointing (it costs $1000 and it can't match the 1080)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

this thread.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

7 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yep:

As of right now, gaming performance is just disappointing (it costs $1000 and it can't match the 1080)

... this is exactly what i thought would happen tbh. il watch those when i get home and get a non limited connection.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 2 weeks later...

Someone on twitter posted their build list and they had a FX 8350 and I said "Get Ryzen R5 or a Pentium G4560" and they said "8 core and 4.0 GHz OP" followed by "My friend who's a tech nut told me" 

Gosh that drove me crazy.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

36 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Someone on twitter posted their build list and they had a FX 8350 and I said "Get Ryzen R5 or a Pentium G4560" and they said "8 core and 4.0 GHz OP" followed by "My friend who's a tech nut told me" 

Gosh that drove me crazy.

im pretty sure that 'tech nut' was referring to a 1700 and not a 8350 lol

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

42 minutes ago, themctipers said:

-Snip-

ProjectB is right. 80C isn't warm. We're well past the 'hot as fuck' point once we hit 80C. Warm is like 40C, for a computer.

18.9 is warm for a Drak3.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

ProjectB is right. 80C isn't warm. We're well past the 'hot as fuck' point once we hit 80C. Warm is like 40C, for a computer.

hes trying to say well this cpu can go upto 105c so 80c isnt warm

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

hes trying to say well this cpu can go upto 105c so 80c isnt warm

Again, he ain't exactly wrong. Stupid as all fuck, but technically not wrong. The best kind of not wrong.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, themctipers said:

im pretty sure that 'tech nut' was referring to a 1700 and not a 8350 lol

God I really hope so xD

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Screenshot_20170720-015404.thumb.png.c25806acbf898c832ee2433ced16564a.png

Not an experience with non techie and it's probably better suited for a status update but it was easier to post here... (My grandma sent me a bunch of pics of "life in the technological days", this was what I thought the best one was)

5 hours ago, Drak3 said:

That moment when you don't know what it's like to have your CPU at under 80C load temp 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

That moment when you don't know what it's like to have your CPU at under 80C load temp 

the same as the experience you're having right now

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

41 minutes ago, themctipers said:

the same as the experience you're having right now

My I7 is pretty chilly because I'm running it at stock right now :P

Builds:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

"can i make my computer faster by upgrading my RAM to an SSD?"

Well if your ram is swap..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

33 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

"can i make my computer faster by upgrading my RAM to an SSD?"

Isn't optane supposed to fit in between those to kinda? Lol

5 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

80C is basically where my 5930K is locked at in small FFT Prime 95, which I randomly run for a few hours every so often.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

22 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

80C is basically where my 5930K is locked at in small FFT Prime 95, which I randomly run for a few hours every so often.

I just take those temps from CAM or whatever when running IXT or AIDA64. 

Builds:

Spoiler

I just take those temps from CAM or whatever when running IXT or AIDA64. 

I find CAM's temp monitoring wildly inaccurate, and AIDA64 isn't exactly stressful.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I find CAM's temp monitoring wildly inaccurate, and AIDA64 isn't exactly stressful.

Never had an OC that survived 15h of AIDA64 fail on me, same with IXT. P95 I never use because I don't install it naturally like the other two. CAM however is both me and great, it's the by far best looking system monitor but it also uses around 10% of an I5 4690K at 4.7GHz lol

Builds:

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Never had an OC that survived 15h of AIDA64 fail on me, same with IXT. P95 I never use because I don't install it naturally like the other two. CAM however is both me and great, it's the by far best looking system monitor but it also uses around 10% of an I5 4690K at 4.7GHz lol

I've had unstable overclocks that could take everything Aida can throw at them, just to crash installing drivers, firefox, and even watching youtube.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I've had unstable overclocks that could take everything Aida can throw at them, just to crash installing drivers, firefox, and even watching youtube.

Damn, how long did you test those? Never had a single problem with anything like that, the only thing that would crash my I5 4690k was playing Paladins non stop for around 6h

Builds:

Spoiler

Damn, how long did you test those? Never had a single problem with anything like that, the only thing that would crash my I5 4690k was playing Paladins non stop for around 6h

24 hours on my 5930K.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

24 hours on my 5930K.

Huh, well that sucks. Il keep using it tho :P

Builds:

Spoiler