Experiences with non-techies

14 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I started with random games on Windows ME in 2003 and started playing Ballance in about 2007. Then I got into various mobile games and computers. 

finaly someone that started around my time lol

2003:

first hands on with computer that dad got from work, P4, Geforce 6600(i still have it and i dont have the heard to rip it out....)

playing "Mulle Meck Bygger Bilar" and random flash games

2006:

still doing the same stuff as when i was freaking 3yo but for more then 1h a day now because mom stoped caring

PC was getting slow AF and couldent keep up anymore, got "Mulle Meck Bygger Rymdskepp och Båtar" and played the absolute shit out of it too

mid 2006:

getting really pissed with this computer, its slow AF and i can barely watch youtube videos(i remember getting super pissed at a super early Yogscast video freezing repeatedly)

i buy minecraft for the first time(of 5. yes i have bought minecraft 5 times...) but the computer is so shit it wont play it on lowest at more then 5fps

2010ish:

Mom gets the family an IMac because she finds them surperior

i start playing games on it, mostly flash games though because the Mulle Meck games wont work, some minecraft too

2011:

Friend tells me about the amazing game TF2, i download steam and play TF2 and Minecraft a lot on the IMac

2013:

i get a laptop, a Pavilion G6 with an AMD APU and 8GB of RAM, this is when im starting to really get into gameing, no life MC and TF2

late 2013:

my best friend trades some TF2 items for CS:GO and tells me its amazing and i trade him two TF2 keys and he gets me a copy too and now im no lifeing CS:GO, TF2 and MC, me and one of my friends get really into modding MC

2014:

stop playing TF2, i work my ass off all summer to get enough money to buy a PC and spend $800 on what i think is a gameing beast but is actiually a GTX 750TI, 60GB SSD and an FX 6300 in a motherboard with super shit power delivery.

2015:

i work even harder this summer, get another $850 and i do all the research i could ever do about PCs, watch all LTT videos about hardware thats relevant and tech and overclocking and building PCs and all that stuff. i get on the forums and tell them what i have, my budget and so on and get super nice responses telling me the Gigabyte GTX 970 is the best overclocking 970(what a joke omg...) and i end up getting an I5 4690K and a GTX 970 and some other stuff, around this time me and my then best friend get to take all of the local theaters computer stuff too, still using one of the cases we took from that.

2016 summer: stop playing CS:GO because i got bored with it after the stupid updates, iv also stop playing MC for the most part somewhere during 2015. after the summer i start playing Paladins, i do 33h in my first 3 days of playing it.

2017: i think i killed my 970 when i installed a after market cooler on it so now im using a GTX 660

i have cut so much shit from this, like lots of it. there isnt even a mention of the LAN PC or any of that either for one but this is my general story, the thing that drove me to becomeing a tech geek or whatever is that shitty fucking PC my dad got when i was 3 lol. i wanted to fix it. when that youtube video froze i got so pissed that i promised myself i would learn why this PC was trash and how to fix it and thats kinda why im here now lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

18 hours ago, mcraftax said:

did you get it back in the end?

but thanks, now if i ever rma something i will take pictures/other stuff to prove what i had before hand if needed but hopefully not.

Reveal hidden contents

1ik8ja.jpg

back when i thought windows 8 was just windows 7 with part xbox side too.

ehh

not as bad as 10 y-

yes, you're as bad as 10 year old me

congrats man!

12 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

finaly someone that started around my time lol

2003:

first hands on with computer that dad got from work, P4, Geforce 6600(i still have it and i dont have the heard to rip it out....)

playing "Mulle Meck Bygger Bilar" and random flash games

2006:

still doing the same stuff as when i was freaking 3yo but for more then 1h a day now because mom stoped caring

PC was getting slow AF and couldent keep up anymore, got "Mulle Meck Bygger Rymdskepp och Båtar" and played the absolute shit out of it too

mid 2006:

getting really pissed with this computer, its slow AF and i can barely watch youtube videos(i remember getting super pissed at a super early Yogscast video freezing repeatedly)

i buy minecraft for the first time(of 5. yes i have bought minecraft 5 times...) but the computer is so shit it wont play it on lowest at more then 5fps

2010ish:

Mom gets the family an IMac because she finds them surperior

i start playing games on it, mostly flash games though because the Mulle Meck games wont work, some minecraft too

2011:

Friend tells me about the amazing game TF2, i download steam and play TF2 and Minecraft a lot on the IMac

2013:

i get a laptop, a Pavilion G6 with an AMD APU and 8GB of RAM, this is when im starting to really get into gameing, no life MC and TF2

late 2013:

my best friend trades some TF2 items for CS:GO and tells me its amazing and i trade him two TF2 keys and he gets me a copy too and now im no lifeing CS:GO, TF2 and MC, me and one of my friends get really into modding MC

2014:

stop playing TF2, i work my ass off all summer to get enough money to buy a PC and spend $800 on what i think is a gameing beast but is actiually a GTX 750TI, 60GB SSD and an FX 6300 in a motherboard with super shit power delivery.

2015:

i work even harder this summer, get another $850 and i do all the research i could ever do about PCs, watch all LTT videos about hardware thats relevant and tech and overclocking and building PCs and all that stuff. i get on the forums and tell them what i have, my budget and so on and get super nice responses telling me the Gigabyte GTX 970 is the best overclocking 970(what a joke omg...) and i end up getting an I5 4690K and a GTX 970 and some other stuff, around this time me and my then best friend get to take all of the local theaters computer stuff too, still using one of the cases we took from that.

2016 summer: stop playing CS:GO because i got bored with it after the stupid updates, iv also stop playing MC for the most part somewhere during 2015. after the summer i start playing Paladins, i do 33h in my first 3 days of playing it.

2017: i think i killed my 970 when i installed a after market cooler on it so now im using a GTX 660

i have cut so much shit from this, like lots of it. there isnt even a mention of the LAN PC or any of that either for one but this is my general story, the thing that drove me to becomeing a tech geek or whatever is that shitty fucking PC my dad got when i was 3 lol. i wanted to fix it. when that youtube video froze i got so pissed that i promised myself i would learn why this PC was trash and how to fix it and thats kinda why im here now lol

pip

i need to stop,

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 28/01/2017 at 1:30 PM, Hawx said:

Re: Windows 10 game mode

Xp8cMuC.png

????????????????????????????????

"You can bypass game mode" WAT

"and stop the power hungry explorer.exe process" go close it, lol.

and that isn't determined by your processor.

"AMD means Advanced Micro Devices" go look up AMD

"AMD is in iMAC's" dude are you stupid

"PS4's" beacuse AMD is the only one that produces APU's

"WiiU/Xbox One/s" same as above

"it can handle anything and 10 cores" i bet it'll be the same performance as a i5 at best

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

5 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

"You can bypass game mode" WAT

"and stop the power hungry explorer.exe process" go close it, lol.

and that isn't determined by your processor.

"AMD means Advanced Micro Devices" go look up AMD

"AMD is in iMAC's" dude are you stupid

"PS4's" beacuse AMD is the only one that produces APU's

"WiiU/Xbox One/s" same as above

"it can handle anything and 10 cores" i bet it'll be the same performance as a i5 at best

i think hes assuming a10 means ayymd 10 core

lmao

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

lmao

yeah, and i found out going to a admin cmd and typing in "taskkill /f /im explorer.exe" is good for your Windows installation.

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

yeah, and i found out going to a admin cmd and typing in "taskkill /f /im explorer.exe" is good for your Windows installation.

i used to do that with windows 8 back in 2013 lol

hey, it actually made my fps go up. :) 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

i used to do that with windows 8 back in 2013 lol

hey, it actually made my fps go up. :) 

no, i mean the WINDOWS installation, not the FPS. the fps is a part in the system, DUH

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

no, i mean the WINDOWS installation, not the FPS. the fps is a part in the system, DUH

i mean

i used to have minecraft up

get command prompt in administrator

kill explorer.exe

(that makes it so that i can only see cmd and whatever apps i have left, no more desktop, i think it was also dwm.exe)

close everything but minecraft

+8 fps!

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

i mean

i used to have minecraft up

get command prompt in administrator

kill explorer.exe

(that makes it so that i can only see cmd and whatever apps i have left, no more desktop, i think it was also dwm.exe)

close everything but minecraft

+8 fps!

back in the day.. ahhh nostalgia. I found a way to boot Windows with little processes and I abused the shit out of it to push the most out of an i7 dual core and a 540m. Minecraft 45-90FPS.

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

back in the day.. ahhh nostalgia. I found a way to boot Windows with little processes and I abused the shit out of it to push the most out of an i7 dual core and a 540m. Minecraft 45-90FPS.

ehh

2.2ghz ultra (shit) low power i7 with HD 3000!

i just ran that

50fps at 6 chunks was a close enough for me back then.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

ehh

2.2ghz ultra (shit) low power i7 with HD 3000!

i just ran that

50fps at 6 chunks was a close enough for me back then.

I had a i7 2637m, afaik it's a 1.7Ghz U series tier processor. 2500 CPUMarks ffs

Meanwhile my new machine thrashes the shit out of it - and I've got an M series dualcore, about to upgrade to a quad. (12.5" quad-core boys)

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

I had a i7 2637m, afaik it's a 1.7Ghz U series tier processor. 2500 CPUMarks ffs

Meanwhile my new machine thrashes the shit out of it - and I've got an M series dualcore, about to upgrade to a quad. (12.5" quad-core boys)

the cb was like 200 on mine

yeah..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

21 minutes ago, themctipers said:

lmao

Spoiler

m88

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

that guy expects an A10 to perform well in games , and he expects the thing to have 10 cores , poor fool is getting a mediocre 4 core and some meh graphics (still better than intel Igpu tho)

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

4 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:
  Reveal hidden contents

m88

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

that guy expects an A10 to perform well in games , and he expects the thing to have 10 cores , poor fool is getting a mediocre 4 core and some meh graphics (still better than intel Igpu tho)

igpu isn't bad as a display adapter

with an i5 4670k I've seen 120-130 FPS in CSGO 1080p lowest

AyyMD A10s suck total ass as processors alongside a modern mid-high end GPU. 

idk

i was playing watch dogs 2 and my mom saw the intro screen and panicked because "i was hacking stuff and was probably selling personal info to isis"

wtf?

Ayyy dis place is empty, PM me some stuff i can put here, quote something some dude said or whatever (username of author/submitter will me tagged unless you dont want that)

3 minutes ago, OleST said:

i was playing watch dogs 2 and my mom saw the intro screen and panicked because "i was hacking stuff and was probably selling personal info to isis"

wtf?

some people.. sigh

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 hours ago, OleST said:

wtf?

Well to be perfectly honest, it is indeed a hacker game. So she was right on the first part.

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

6 hours ago, themctipers said:

lmao

5 hours ago, Space Reptile said:
  Reveal hidden contents

m88

You can thank dumb AMD marketing for that... They also have some weird thing where since there are 4 CPU cores (even that could be debated due to shared components between cores like the FPU) and 8 GPU CUs the A10s have 12 "Compute Cores"... Really confusing stuff IMO. I hope they get rid of that crap with zen.

40 minutes ago, nillas12 said:

Well to be perfectly honest, it is indeed a hacker game. So she was right on the first part.

Holy crap it's Nillas! Where've you been how's life going? :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

You can thank dumb AMD marketing for that... They also have some weird thing where since there are 4 CPU cores (even that could be debated due to shared components between cores like the FPU) and 8 GPU CUs the A10s have 12 "Compute Cores"... Really confusing stuff IMO. I hope they get rid of that crap with zen.

Holy crap it's Nillas! Where've you been how's life going? :) 

Busy really. Being a student takes a lot of time.

Desktop: CPU: i7 3770k OC: 4.0 GHZ | CPUCooler: Corsair H100i | GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU2 | Motherboard: Gigabyte z77x-ud5h | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 gig, 1600 mhz | PSU: Corsair AX860 | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Storage: Corsair Force 3 120 gb, Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Periphirals: Keyboard: Logitech g710+ | Mice: Desktop: Razer Imperator Battlefield 3 Edition. Laptop: Razer Deathadder 3.5g edition | Mousepads: Desktop: Razer Goliathus Control Extended edition Laptop: Razer Goliathus Control edition | Sound stuff: Bose Companion 2 speakers (Free yay), Beyerdynamic DT-770 250 Ohm.

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad Edge e540: CPU: i7 4702mq | GPU: Nvidia Geforce gt740 | RAM: 8 gig of some brand | Storage: 1 TB of some brand 5400 rpm | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro

Apparently, even people writing articles don't know what they're talking about... Obviously, storage and RAM is what makes a fast computer!!!

The OrionX is one of the beefiest computers ever to hit the market. It boasts five separate SSD’s that add up to just over 4.2 TB PLUS two 10 TB Seagate Barracuda hard drives- that’s 24.2 TB of storage. Couple that with the memory – 64 GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM – and you have a stupidly fast heavy-duty computer.

http://fraghero.com/wont-believe-much-worlds-expensive-gaming-pc-costs/

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, nillas12 said:

Busy really. Being a student takes a lot of time.

Still high school or college? Or is the system different in Denmark?

27 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Apparently, even people writing articles don't know what they're talking about... Obviously, storage and RAM is what makes a fast computer!!!

http://fraghero.com/wont-believe-much-worlds-expensive-gaming-pc-costs/

Are you stupid? All those terabytes accelerate your CPU's data rate causing the scheduler to overclock which accelerates the CUDA calculations of the cache causing much higher performance!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Still high school or college? Or is the system different in Denmark?

Are you stupid? All those terabytes accelerate your CPU's data rate causing the scheduler to overclock which accelerates the CUDA calculations of the cache causing much higher performance!

Damn it ... Seriously? So you're telling me I just wasted money on a 4670k to replace my 4170. And instead I should've downloaded more RAM??? :(

Or even better, I could've bought another 1TB HDD?

Qf9HJ3o.png

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

Damn it ... Seriously? So you're telling me I just wasted money on a 4670k to replace my 4170. And instead I should've downloaded more RAM??? :(

Or even better, I could've bought another 1TB HDD?

If you can download more RAM I see no reason as why you can not download more storage...

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

If you can download more RAM I see no reason as why you can not download more storage...

Legit advice right there!

I wish I could "thumbs up" more than once! xD

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

And instead I should've downloaded more RAM??? :(

You can. http://www.downloadmoreram.com/download.html

(P.S. It's fake)

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2