Experiences with non-techies

Beats are fashion accessories. ATH-M50s are actual headphones.

Yes exactly.

On a different note.. Another one of our clients got hit by the Crypto virus... That's the 4th or 5th one in 3 months....

On a different note.. Another one of our clients got hit by the Crypto virus... That's the 4th or 5th one in 3 months....

What's the vector (infection method) and the demographic? (gotta know how to stay off the radar)

On-topic:

I was working at our archives today... and got reacquainted with an old friend... a typewriter straight from the late 80s...

Now I used to toy around with these things since I was 6 and as the years passed... got rusty with using one...

As I was being oriented on my duties by our archivist, she said that being able to use a typewriter successfully is an achievement... a point which I disagreed on since I thought that being able to use a typewriter at least functionally is essential for the field (library and information science... lots of old equipment in the field so we need to learn to use them before employment)... she told me about how all the other trainees cheered that they can use a typewriter properly and how said trainees saw using one as an achievement...

~snipz~

I used to have an old German typewriter. Think it was called Enigma. huehuehue.

But srsly. I had a replica after a german Enigma that I stupidly donated to the physics department a few years ago

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

My grandma just showed me this when she was using my laptop.

non-verbatim

"No wonder you like computers it's amazing how they're built"(In my mother tongue, rough translation)

OMT6Rjy.gif

oMJNPM9_700wa_0.gif

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

just in case the legit ones didn't sound and feel cheap enough...

I laughed so hard xD

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

snip

Ooh, my friend's experienced this as well. He bypassed my suggestion, he got $1500 budget and he went with (if I'm not mistaken) i7-860, GTX 750Ti and 16GB RAM, he could get more....

Not sure about storage, PSU and motherboard, but I bet he spent most of the money to one of these.

If not maybe technician fee, because he didn't build the PC himself.

I couldn't say a single word to my friend that day, I didn't want to hurt his feeling so I said "Umm..... Wow.... You're PC is.... Well.... Good? Yeah yeah, good."

Hard to say the "Good" part.

Then he said "Thanks!" he hugged me.

But inside me, I cried.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Ooh, my friend's experienced this as well. He bypassed my suggestion, he got $1500 budget and he went with (if I'm not mistaken) i7-860, GTX 750Ti and 16GB RAM, he could get more....

Not sure about storage, PSU and motherboard, but I bet he spent most of the money to one of these.

I couldn't say a single word to my friend that day, I didn't want to hurt his feeling so I said "Umm..... Wow.... You're PC is.... Well.... Good? Yeah yeah, good."

But inside me, I cried.

Maybe he decided to only spend 600$ instead of 1500$

Maybe he decided to only spend 600$ instead of 1500$

He seriously spent $1500.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

A friend of mine called me and asked "Dude, how do I open a .gif? When I open it with Windows Photo Viewer, it won't move."

I answered "Just open it with a browser. You use Chrome, right?"

"Yeah, but what if I don't have internet?" 

"Doesn't matter, you don't need internet to browse your local files."

"But, ehm... Chrome doesn't work without internet."

"It does in this case."

So the conversation went on a little bit, but he didn't get it, until I came over and showed him how to browse local files in Chrome. (Rightclick, open with ... and selecting a program is hard it seems, so is drag and dropping something from Windows Explorer into Chrome.) That completely blew his mind, and when I thought that he got it, he asked: "But does this mean that everyone who has Chrome can access my files?"

I couldn't resist to facepalm in this situation.

You know that person or in my case a family friend who visits you and looks at ur computer setup and they say "Why do you need three computers?" while looking at your dual monitor setup with another laptop next to it?

When that happens, I do this:

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

Dell Inspiron 7520 15R: Cpu: Intel Core i7 3612QM @2.10Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Storage: 1TB 5400RPM HDD, Os: WIndows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit EP1;

Lenovo Yoga 11e Chromebook: Cpu: Intel Celeron N2930 @1.83Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3L 1333MHZ, Storage: 16GB eMMC, Os: Google Chrome Os;

My school's filters are WAY too easy to bypass. all you have to do is open up the command prompt (yes, its not blocked), ping the website you want to go to, and then enter the IP into the address bar.

Mine had a block on the command line which you could bypass with a "echo on-off" batch file. That was fun. Untraceable too.

Why is it that schools always hire absolute morons as the tech department people?

He seriously spent $1500.

Really? He could have had a Haswell i7 and a 970 for that much money...

So this gem is so fresh I can still feel the awkward

Last night, at around 1AM my mom calls me; since I play WoW (unfortunately, I feel a distinct need to have no life right now) I was wide awake, mid-raid. Call rejected.

1:05AM - mom calls again. call rejected

1:15AM - mom calls for the third time. for heaven sake, woman, I'm "sleeping" (mom does not agree with all-nighters even though I'm a grownup at this point) I unwillingly answer to get all this sorted so I can get back to my game.

After the obligatory "why the hell are you calling the at 1 in the morning?!" she tells me that she needs urgent help, since her computer won't cooperate (it's a 10-or-so year old single-core AMD rig with DDR-400! running Whinedoes EggsPee). She then proceeds to ask me to come over and fix it. She lives 150km away (~100miles). I don't have a car. First train that way is at 6:30 AM and I'm supposed to be at work at 7 AM. No go.

Thankfully I had an emergency plan, since I'm well aware of the degree of non-techieness my mother is capable of (until last year she had a Nokia 3310. you get the idea)

I ask her if the PC is on and if it's connected to the internet. It is.

I tell her to go on the desktop and look for the spot on the wallpaper that says "IF I EVER NEED TO ACCESS PC REMOTELY, OPEN THIS" (I had set up everything just for scenarios like these, making it as idiot-proof as I could). It was just a shortcut to Team Viewer. BUT WAIT, mom decided to "clean" the desktop and she had moved/deleted the shortcut.

10 minutes later she finally manages to open Team Viewer from the start menu. I kid you not, it took the woman 10 minutes (at this point I'm not even sure we're related).

What had happened:

My mom gets ALOT of e-mail from her sister/my aunt, who isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to NOT opening malware-ridden e-mails. Mom still uses Yahoo! Mail, because she doesn't want to switch to GMail like any sane person would do.

Anyway, she had opened a few of the e-mail my aunt sent her last week and somehow managed to catch some nasty bugs. Malware, spyware, adware, it was all there.

Keep in mind that this machine is old as hell and a potato is faster than it.

I had installed Malwarebytes just in case, since I knew something like this was bound to happen. After about an hour and a half of scanning, everything seemed to be sorted. At this point it was around 3:30AM. I was getting tired and annoyed, but everything was sorted.

I call mom, tell her it's done and she can resume whatever she was doing. I jump into bed and try to get some sleep, since I was due to get up in less than 3 hours so I could get to work.

4-fracking-AM my mom calls. AGAIN. Starts complaining that I didn't do anything and told her it was fixed.

I tell her to open Team Viewer again. Lo and behold, firefox pops up on my screen. she had been downloading crap from my aunt's e-mail again, because it was "funny".

At this point I was getting mad. Told mom to go to bed while I fix shit. First thing's first, I block my aunt's e-mail address. She never has anything important to say anyway, so no loss there.

Malwarebytes again. By the time it was done I was supposed to get up and make myself some breakfast.

Now I'm at my 6th coffee since I got to work and I haven't eaten since yesterday's lunch.

I hate my family.

Ask your aunt to send imgur links via skype, so there's less of you fixing malware

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Sounds like a smart-arsy thing to whinge about, he said it was a flower when it is really a picture of a flower hur hur!  FFS Lighten up.

Shades of Magritte's "Ceci n'est pas une pipe."

when your parrents are like mine its really hard not to be a smart ass xP

Just noticed this today - our school has put Radeon 5450s in all of the computers in the IT department. Previously they ran on integrated graphics from the Pentiums inside (not sure which gen, but graphics were around HD2000 or HD3000). Either way the 5450s are about the same as HD3000 graphics and cost £30 each. That's somewhere between £600 and £900 for one room. Not to mention that the monitors are VGA only 1280x1024 so it's not like they upgraded to a digital connector standard or anything.

Literal waste of money. On the plus side the music department is meant to be getting new computers. Originally iMacs (CoreAudio and Logic are better than ASIO on top of Windows' audio stack and then Cubase) but now probably just 'beefier' Windows machines. The new guy will want something decent since he said our department looks like his 5 years ago (and I agree), but the technicians and our head of Ex Arts (a drama teacher) will probably curbstomp us and we'll end up with slightly faster Pentiums and 2GB RAM to replace the old Core 2 Duos and 2GB RAM. Really we need decent i3s or basic i5s and 4GB. And 1080p monitors for the hell of it. They're currently 1050p janky resolution. 16:10 though which is quite nice for Cubase considering the vertical real estate needed.

''i can use it, why cant you''

because i use more demanding programs than you do. its not powerful anough for my needs 

''stop making things up to sound smart'' or ''well it works for me so it works for you'' and ESPECIALLY from my ilogical mother ''ive never heard such bullshit in my life, just go away'' 

I have a double whammy! Both involve headphones.

#1 Before christmas time I had told my grandparent I wanted new headphones. My grandfather said sure. I told him I wanted ATH-M50s (and bookmarked it on his iPad just to be sure) The morning of Christmas he followed through, while unboxing them I overheard my grandfather say to my dad, "Wow I didn't realise how expensive headphones are today" I laughed so hard and told him that these aren't even that expensive ($150 US) and showed him some Sennheisers on Amazon. It turns out the last time he bought headphones was buying some cheapo son things at Walmart.

#2 I was in the car with my cousin, I was listening to some music with my M50s. My cousin proceeds to signal me to take them off, he says, "Those are nice beats you have there" OHHH HE WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THE CONVERSATION WE WERE ABOUT TO HAVE! I am not sure if he was just confused, or if Beats is a general term for headphones now. Either way he is now informed on the differences between Beats and actual headphones. 

Bonus Round!! I saw an ad on Twitter saying and I quote "Get dad something he'll actually want to wear around his head for father's day" WHAT THE FUFGHHFIHURFH!?? I THOUGH YOU USED THEM TO LISTEN TO AUDIO, NOT USE AS A $500, UNCOMFORTABLE NECKLACE!!

gg

3:4? First time I've heard that ratio

I think me ment 4:3

Either it was flipped 90°, or people are already starting to forget that ancient monitor aspect ratio. Some people still use it though... Like me, but it's 5:4 (1280 x 1024)

i love 4:3 and 5:4... its the perfect sweet spot for productivity, (alongside other solutions at the same time ofcourse) 

s pair of 2560x1080 ultrawides stacked ontop of eachother, two 1600x900 in portriat on either side of those, and below it a 16:10 5k (much larger than the other monitors ofcourse, look at logan's setup, (tek syndicate)) and as many 4:3 and 5:4 monitors as i can grab. (also ALL (and i mean every last one) of the other monitors i have available to me. 

i will install more graphics cards if i have to. 

im a pixel whore xD 

Still sound better than real Beats.

snazzy labs actually found a pair of beats knock offs that sound better than beats (like, 300-400$ enthusuast level sound IIRC) for cheaper than the mostpopular model of beats. xD 

So this gem is so fresh I can still feel the awkward

I hate my family.

you're not alone. :3

My grandma just showed me this when she was using my laptop.

non-verbatim

"No wonder you like computers it's amazing how they're built"(In my mother tongue, rough translation)

oMJNPM9_700wa_0.gif

oMJNPM9_700wa_0.gif

basically

But inside me, I cried.

yeah, its not the best he could have got for his budget, but remember this: its his first built computer. and he's incredibly proud. people learn by making mistakes, ofcourse you can show them how to avoid said mistakes, and later show them that they were mistakes, (the latter i highly reccomend, just be really gentle about it   :unsure:   ) but, there are two accomplishmets already here, that make the loss in money pointless IMHO 

the master race is now welcoming its newest member, ^~^

he's one step closer to building his own computers!!! (if its not already the one he built, like i accidentaly said in the former part of this reply, before i realized how lazy i am that im not gonna change it and that its no good to assume) 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Mine had a block on the command line which you could bypass with a "echo on-off" batch file. That was fun. Untraceable too.

Why is it that schools always hire absolute morons as the tech department people?

Budget. 'nuff said.

At least our high school's "tech department" works wonders, though it's only one man, the IT-teacher (also teaches brief math, chemistry and physics), and he is in his 70s or 80s by now, but for such age, his tech knowledge is up to date.

This is the greatest thread on linustechtips.com

It has grown huge. Some official giveaway threads (by LMG) still could be larger than this thread. And there is a single thread that I'm not mentioning, but it has 2500+ pages already, over the course of one year...

But this could be one of the largest (if not the largest) non-off topic thread on LTT.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Showed this "DownloadMoreRAM" site (http://www.downloadmoreram.com/), to my friends.

Believe it or not 1 of my friends believed this.

She kept on trying to download 32GB of RAM (she was trying so hard, she didn't give up so easily) while me and my friends tried not to laugh in the corner  :P

Then I came to her (well I felt sorry to her), told her that to upgrade the RAM, she had to change it physically (I mean change the actual RAM). Not downloading it....

Then uh..... She became a bit mad (well she laughed a bit).... As consequences she spread "A bit" of my secret to her friends....

Because she'd wasted like 1 day trying to download it  :P

Well I could take it.... At least not my "Biggest" secret.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

Customer: I'm having problems connecting to the Internet wirelessly.

Me: *connects to store wifi just fine*

Me: do you have wireless internet at your house?

Customer: what's that

Me:...

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

snip

ZMav7vR_700wa_0.gif

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

Ask your aunt to send imgur links via skype, so there's less of you fixing malware

That is probably like asking her to do 6 back-flips from a 3ft height...

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

About a month ago, my cousin has been wanting to get into pc gaming. Which is cool, he even had the money for a decent build. I talked to him about me building one for him that would cost around $650 and he agreed. But a couple weeks later I shit you not my cousin got a Zotac ZBOX Nano AD12. It had an AMD E2-1800 APU and a couple gigs of ram. He said "I didn't need that gaming computer you were gonna build me 'cause I got this one for cheap and it's for gaming". Good luck gaming on that. Not only that, but he even got an HP Stream 11 for some reason. Which left no money left for an actual gaming computer. Bravo cousin, Bravo.

CPU: Intel i5-4590  ll CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ll  Mobo:  Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  ll  RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengance  ll GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ll PSU: EVGA NEX650 G1 80+ Gold ll Storage:  Segate 7200PRM 1TB HDD , MX100 256GB SSD ll Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced w/ modded window ll  Display: Insignia 22' 1080p Tv ll  Speakers: Logitch Z313 w/ subwoofer  ll Keyboard: Logitec G910 ll  Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

About a month ago, my cousin has been wanting to get into pc gaming. Which is cool, he even had the money for a decent build. I talked to him about me building one for him that would cost around $650 and he agreed. But a couple weeks later I shit you not my cousin got a Zotac ZBOX Nano AD12. It had an AMD E2-1800 APU and a couple gigs of ram. He said "I didn't need that gaming computer you were gonna build me 'cause I got this one for cheap and it's for gaming". Good luck gaming on that. Not only that, but he even got an HP Stream 11 for some reason. Which left no money left for an actual gaming computer. Bravo cousin, Bravo.

So he bought two web browsing machines, nice.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

No, "its for gaming", and the cheap is just bonus.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

Not only that, but he's already gotten viruses, malware, and adware on both of those machines, which already run like crap even without the viruses.

CPU: Intel i5-4590  ll CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo ll  Mobo:  Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  ll  RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) Corsair Vengance  ll GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ll PSU: EVGA NEX650 G1 80+ Gold ll Storage:  Segate 7200PRM 1TB HDD , MX100 256GB SSD ll Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced w/ modded window ll  Display: Insignia 22' 1080p Tv ll  Speakers: Logitch Z313 w/ subwoofer  ll Keyboard: Logitec G910 ll  Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO