New case fan? need advice

TechSam
Go to solution Solved by slightlyjaded,

ok im looking at the pricing of fans an noctua industrials seem good but one thing im conserned about is that 29 db noise when the corsairs ones have 26,4 db so im asking are the noctua fans really loud i live in a apartment and i really would not want to wake up my neighbours whit loud computer

not so much. When noctua quotes 29DBa they actually mean it when it's spinning at a fairly decentish speed. Corsair has been known to fudge it's results, or quote minimum speeds. BTW 40 Dba is a whisper.

Most of the noise generated by noctua fans is from the air being moved itself, if you don't need as much air moved, then turn them down.

So im looking for new case fans to my computer and i dont know where to start i looked at Corsair 120mm SP120 PURPLE LED, High Static Pressure Fan but dont know if it is any good preferrably i want fans whit LED in them

If you are going for more aesthetics look, the Corsair LED fans are nice.  However, if you are going for sheer performance, Noctua NF series fans perform extremely well. 

What fans are best is always going to depend on where you're using them. If it's restricted airflow (like against rads, or up against hard drive cages) then SP fans are the way to go everytime. If you're talking about that rear exhaust fan though, save your money and buy an air flow fan instead.

What fans are best is always going to depend on where you're using them. If it's restricted airflow (like against rads, or up against hard drive cages) then SP fans are the way to go everytime. If you're talking about that rear exhaust fan though, save your money and buy an air flow fan instead.

Im thinking of replacing all my fans Case is Corsair Carbide Series 300R windowed version and i basically have stock cooling atm so :/

Im thinking of replacing all my fans Case is Corsair Carbide Series 300R windowed version and i basically have stock cooling atm so :/

Okay so at least one SP style fan in the front (maybe two) to push through the hard drive cages, 1-2 more for an AIO, or an air cooling system. and probably an AF style fan for your rear exhaust.

My current favourite are noctua industrials (not cheap, but they are black) If you need LED's then much as I hate to say it, you're better off asking someone else for specific model types.

Okay so at least one SP style fan in the front (maybe two) to push through the hard drive cages, 1-2 more for an AIO, or an air cooling system. and probably an AF style fan for your rear exhaust.

My current favourite are noctua industrials (not cheap, but they are black) If you need LED's then much as I hate to say it, you're better off asking someone else for specific model types.

ok im looking at the pricing of fans an noctua industrials seem good but one thing im conserned about is that 29 db noise when the corsairs ones have 26,4 db so im asking are the noctua fans really loud i live in a apartment and i really would not want to wake up my neighbours whit loud computer

not so much. When noctua quotes 29DBa they actually mean it when it's spinning at a fairly decentish speed. Corsair has been known to fudge it's results, or quote minimum speeds. BTW 40 Dba is a whisper.

Most of the noise generated by noctua fans is from the air being moved itself, if you don't need as much air moved, then turn them down.

I run my Noctua 3k rpm fans at 48% (1450rpm) and they are near quiet.  They also have a 2k version that still offer great performance, but also allow you to get lower RPM when not gaming.

BTW 40 Dba is a whisper.

40dBa isn't a whisper in the context of the fan testing chambers used to measure (and potentially fluff up) the specs.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.