I need a gaming mouse.

BghMc

You mean you play a lot of FPSs with the G500?

Yep G500s is what i use.:)

Yep G500s is what i use. :)

Is it good and comfortable?

Would you recommend it?

I would have to disagree with no one needing it I have i a few select cases needed it and even above 6400. Also you should stop using G400 and G500 as the G400s and G500s have been out from some time with upgrades.

Unless you're on a triple-screen 4k set-up or some kind of projector perhaps, how have you ever needed 6400 DPI (assuming proper windows settings of 6/11 pointer speed and no EPP)?

Yes by the definition of precision the sensor is more precise with angle snapping on. Yes maintaining a straight line would mean its more precise this is at a very small cost in accuracy as you just said. Also I dont know if youve seen or done any testing but angle snapping wouldnt  hurt you in the situation your describing unless the guy you aiming at is really tiny and a very slight deviation in height of your last target. If angle snapping did what your describing they never would have implemented it. I can actually see how it could be helpful and why they thought it would be.

The whole precision vs accuracy definition thing is so tedious (though I'd argue that angle-snapping is equally precise, not more precise). Yes, angle-snapping can be helpful, but not when gaming. There's a reason pictures like this are made ("angle snapping" in Google images has a load of 'em) and a reason people consider the mouse on the bottom to be superior...Taking control away from the player is not a good thing. You make out that being able to make slight horizontal deviations on a vertical plane and vice-versa is somehow unusual, but in games where people are regularly poking their heads over hills or leaning around corners (take your pick of tactical FPS), angle-snapping is a constant nuisance.

Is there a way to turn angle snapping off?

And,

I actually might consider the Corsair Vengeance because it's just a beast.

I mean, 9 programmable buttons plus two buttons to adjust DPI? That's just brilliant.

and the icing on the cake is that it's cheap.

Is there a way to turn angle snapping off?

For the G500s? Supposedly. Not that it'd be a big issue for you since you primarily play Minecraft.

For the G500s? Supposedly. Not that it'd be a big issue for you since you primarily play Minecraft.

Okay

Also,

How about the Corsair Vengeance M95?

It comes off by default now you would have to turn it on if you wanted it. this has been changed by just about every manufacturer since the 1st gen G5 which was the fist mouse to have tons of problems with that.

It comes off by default now you would have to turn it on if you wanted it. this has been changed by just about every manufacturer since the 1st gen G5 which was the fist mouse to have tons of problems with that.

Thank you.

Okay

Also,

How about the Corsair Vengeance M95?

I have an unfair bias against Corsair and Noctua products, so I'd say absolutely not.

For your use-case, you can pretty much choose any mouse that appeals to you with a decent reputation. If you think you'd utilize it's many buttons, then the M95 might please you.

My best advise for a mouse is stick you hand on it if it feel nice go with it unless its go major issues youll notice. If it does fine one that feels the same but without the issues. My hand has to like the ergonomics before ill even consider buying a mouse.

Yup off  by default

see_zps98ec8dc7.png

Like TheProfosist mention, If it isn't comfy in my hand i will not even think about buying it.

Hmmm okay. I'll go to the store sometime and try them out and maybe do a quick review later

Yup off  by default

see_zps98ec8dc7.png

Do you have any problems with the g500s?

I haven't come across any problems with it. I'm liking it and it feels great in my hand.

Some bad reviews out there along side the good reviews, but that comes with everything.

No issues at all regarding my  gaming after switching to this.

Okay so I'm either getting the 

Razer DeathAdder 2013

Logitech G500s

Corsair Vengeance M65

Corsair Vengeance M95 

I use a plain ole g500 and love it.

CASE: Coolermaster HAF XM CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k @ 4.5ghz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series H110 RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws Z series PSU: Corsair HX850 MOBO: ASUS P9X79 LE HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB, Crucial M4 128GB SSD MOUSE:Roccat Kone XTD KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K95 MONITOR:  ASUS VE248H 24" LCD x2 / AOC G2460PG x1

Razer DeathAdder 2013

Logitech G500s

Corsair Vengeance M65

Corsair Vengeance M95 

I would go with the G500S imo because their gaming software is pretty nice and easy to use and they have game profiles so you can bind your keys without having to look in the game for the exact keys.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Unless you're on a triple-screen 4k set-up or some kind of projector perhaps, how have you ever needed 6400 DPI (assuming proper windows settings of 6/11 pointer speed and no EPP)?

The whole precision vs accuracy definition thing is so tedious (though I'd argue that angle-snapping is equally precise, not more precise). Yes, angle-snapping can be helpful, but not when gaming. There's a reason pictures like this are made ("angle snapping" in Google images has a load of 'em) and a reason people consider the mouse on the bottom to be superior...Taking control away from the player is not a good thing. You make out that being able to make slight horizontal deviations on a vertical plane and vice-versa is somehow unusual, but in games where people are regularly poking their heads over hills or leaning around corners (take your pick of tactical FPS), angle-snapping is a constant nuisance.

Well 3 screens is enough to need a rather high dpi. But I have needed it before in games that handle the mouse horribly or nonstandard.

I think it can help in gaming if people would let it, especially people just getting in it or those that use aim assist. Even people who think their amazing, and likely arnt, could possibly benefit from it if they let themselves get used to it and adapt to it. The problem is that people claim to need perfect hand to PC movement with no interference  of any kind, otherwise it could be bringing down their game. I call BS on this because unconsciously humans are very adaptable. Just look at pro gamers that use the mouse that their sponsor has and seems to do perfectly fine. My other inclination is when choosing a mouse from their sponsors line up they go for comfort (how natural it feel in their hand) and not what sensor it has and the implementation of that sensor.For many of these problems very specific uncommon circumstances(in my opinion) need to be met for the problems to even bare their head. I know that I have gone off the topic of just angle snapping but back to that now. Its more precise in that fact that you are making a straighter line which is what precision is, purposely deviating from said line would deal with accuracy. Yes and that is done with people trying to make straight lines and using one pixel. How many time had you had to hit a that was only one pixel big and how many times has your crosshair been only one pixel? In my opinion they are testing it wrong too as what their testing is if there is angle snapping, they should really be checking the angle snapping as in how easy or hard it is to deviate from the line with angle snapping enabled. I dont see it as a bad thing necessarily and if it doesnt overstep its bounds it could actually be helpfull. Depending on how its implemented I could see how it could be helpfull and why they thought it would be too (I think I have said this before). I assume this would only effect trying to make a straight line of a certain amount of length but I wouldnt know as i havnt seen any tests for or against this just people testing to see if its there then calling it the devils magic. Have you tried using it yourself? The reason I say this is that when I first started to really get into PC gaming and using higher end mice its was standard on all mice of the higher than 400-800 dpi variety especially those with adjustable dpi and we gamed fine with lower resolution displays, significantly lower in some cases. I also think that the people that are most affected are low dpi users, actually they may be the only ones really affected. I also think it was developed to aid those who used higher dpi at the time (medium dpi today). Just try try drawing a straight line at a reasonable speed at 1600 dpi (what I normally use while gaming) then try drawing one at the same speed (hand wise) at 400 dpi (what i normally use for precision and sniping) and compare I can say with significant confidence that the 400 dpi one is straighter. One final thing I really doubt that mouse and sensor developers would purposely make something that would intentionally hurt their customers game play.

Disclaimer: I do NOT use angle snapping but I would take it any day over noticeable acceleration.

Razer DeathAdder 2013

Logitech G500s

Corsair Vengeance M65

Corsair Vengeance M95 

I would look at the G400s and the G700s as well as those would both be my pics over the G500s

I use a plain ole g500 and love it.

You should try and G500s  not only because of the new sensor but the new coating is amazing and way better than anything they had on any of their model previously in my opinion.

Well 3 screens is enough to need a rather high dpi. But I have needed it before in games that handle the mouse horribly or nonstandard.

I'm looking for examples, so I can put into context when you'd *need* more than 6400 DPI. Can you name the game and state your resolution? The only time I've ever needed to increase DPI was for MAXs in the original Planetside and badly-coded games with turrets of some kind, but even then I wouldn't have needed half of 6400, let alone more (not to mention as time goes on and games are held to a higher standard, this is encountered less and less).

I think it can help in gaming if people would let it, especially people just getting in it or those that use aim assist. Even people who think their amazing, and likely arnt, could possibly benefit from it if they let themselves get used to it and adapt to it. The problem is that people claim to need perfect hand to PC movement with no interference  of any kind, otherwise it could be bringing down their game. I call BS on this because unconsciously humans are very adaptable. Its more precise in that fact that you are making a straighter line which is what precision is, purposely deviating from said line would deal with accuracy. Yes and that is done with people trying to make straight lines and using one pixel. How many time had you had to hit a that was only one pixel big and how many times has your crosshair been only one pixel? In my opinion they are testing it wrong too as what their testing is if there is angle snapping, they should really be checking the angle snapping as in how easy or hard it is to deviate from the line with angle snapping enabled. I dont see it as a bad thing necessarily and if it doesnt overstep its bounds it could actually be helpfull. Depending on how its implemented I could see how it could be helpfull and why they thought it would be too (I think I have said this before). I assume this would only effect trying to make a straight line of a certain amount of length but I wouldnt know as i havnt seen any tests for or against this just people testing to see if its there then calling it the devils magic. Have you tried using it yourself? The reason I say this is that when I first started to really get into PC gaming and using higher end mice its was standard on all mice of the higher than 400-800 dpi variety especially those with adjustable dpi and we gamed fine with lower resolution displays, significantly lower in some cases. I also think that the people that are most affected are low dpi users, actually they may be the only ones really affected. I also think it was developed to aid those who used higher dpi at the time (medium dpi today). Just try try drawing a straight line at a reasonable speed at 1600 dpi (what I normally use while gaming) then try drawing one at the same speed (hand wise) at 400 dpi (what i normally use for precision and sniping) and compare I can say with significant confidence that the 400 dpi one is straighter. One final thing I really doubt that mouse and sensor developers would purposely make something that would intentionally hurt their customers game play.

Disclaimer: I do NOT use angle snapping but I would take it any day over noticeable acceleration.

Objectively, angle-snapping doesn't improve the precision of the mouse. From what you're saying, it sounds like you mean the precision of the user is increased, but only in a scenario where the user has an inability to put the pointer where they want it to be. That may be true, but adapting to a "crutch" like that isn't generally considered to be a good thing in gaming. You also can't escape the fact that angle snapping still results in scenarios where you can't point the mouse where you want to put it (and would otherwise be able to, if not for angle snapping). Yes, the demonstration uses a pixel paintbrush, but so what? That doesn't mean angle-snapping only applies to the row of pixels above and below the row you're on...

You did say you could see why "they" thought it'd be helpful, but I have no reason to believe that it's existence has anything to do with gaming, or that it's effect on gaming was so much as a consideration in its creation. I mentioned the original Planetside earlier and I had experience of angle-snapping in that. I sniped a lot and angle-snapping was a regular nuisance when trying to lead targets. As far as DPI goes, maybe it can compensate for those with too high a DPI, but I've also seen people lower their windows pointer speed to 1 and enable EPP in this bizarre pursuit of trying to use ridiculous DPI that seems to afflict so many...That doesn't make it a good thing. If anything, it just enables people to continue to use the wrong DPI (for them) where they'd otherwise be forced to lower it to something more suitable.

I'm looking for examples, so I can put into context when you'd *need* more than 6400 DPI. Can you name the game and state your resolution? The only time I've ever needed to increase DPI was for MAXs in the original Planetside and badly-coded games with turrets of some kind, but even then I wouldn't have needed half of 6400, let alone more (not to mention as time goes on and games are held to a higher standard, this is encountered less and less).

Objectively, angle-snapping doesn't improve the precision of the mouse. From what you're saying, it sounds like you mean the precision of the user is increased, but only in a scenario where the user has an inability to put the pointer where they want it to be. That may be true, but adapting to a "crutch" like that isn't generally considered to be a good thing in gaming. You also can't escape the fact that angle snapping still results in scenarios where you can't point the mouse where you want to put it (and would otherwise be able to, if not for angle snapping). Yes, the demonstration uses a pixel paintbrush, but so what? That doesn't mean angle-snapping only applies to the row of pixels above and below the row you're on...

You did say you could see why "they" thought it'd be helpful, but I have no reason to believe that it's existence has anything to do with gaming, or that it's effect on gaming was so much as a consideration in its creation. I mentioned the original Planetside earlier and I had experience of angle-snapping in that. I sniped a lot and angle-snapping was a regular nuisance when trying to lead targets. As far as DPI goes, maybe it can compensate for those with too high a DPI, but I've also seen people lower their windows pointer speed to 1 and enable EPP in this bizarre pursuit of trying to use ridiculous DPI that seems to afflict so many...That doesn't make it a good thing. If anything, it just enables people to continue to use the wrong DPI (for them) where they'd otherwise be forced to lower it to something more suitable.

ok so i though i used higher than 6400 but I dont I use 6400 in planetside 2 and games as youve just described. Also if I had 3 27in monitors i might use something higher than I do now

Nothing on a software or user end can increase the precision of the mouse but the mouse usually isnt the problem its the user which is why that would technically increase precision. I know why they disabled it but im trying to day its not bane of the mouse issues people make it out to be. If I had the choice to use it or not i wouldnt but I do understand why it was created and existed which is my eyes is just as important as proclaiming it must be killed with fire if not more. 

i agree that I personally dont touch mouse setting in windows (except for disabling acceleration) or in game when possible. Your best just leaving that as is and adjusting your DPI to the level you like and are used to. I use 1600 normally, 400 for sniping or other precision stuff, and 3200 on my desktop but still have the other 2 available for when I need more accuracy. Using super high DPI usually gives you worse tracking due to noise. Manufactures are now recommending dpi for their mice. For example the CM Storm Spawn they recommend 800 dpi as that is the highest the sensor and do without interpolation and their currently the only manufacturer with that sensor that does 800 dpi without interpolation  the others only do 400. O in the case of the Naga 2014 that just showed up here yesterday in the software razer recommends between 1600 and 1800 dpi.

The other thing I would like to point out that I just noticed is that the Deathadder 2013 isnt optical its Infrared which may explain why the sensor isnt in all their mice?

ok so i though i used higher than 6400 but I dont I use 6400 in planetside 2 and games as youve just described. Also if I had 3 27in monitors i might use something higher than I do now

Nothing on a software or user end can increase the precision of the mouse but the mouse usually isnt the problem its the user which is why that would technically increase precision. I know why they disabled it but im trying to day its not bane of the mouse issues people make it out to be. If I had the choice to use it or not i wouldnt but I do understand why it was created and existed which is my eyes is just as important as proclaiming it must be killed with fire if not more. 

i agree that I personally dont touch mouse setting in windows (except for disabling acceleration) or in game when possible. Your best just leaving that as is and adjusting your DPI to the level you like and are used to. I use 1600 normally, 400 for sniping or other precision stuff, and 3200 on my desktop but still have the other 2 available for when I need more accuracy. Using super high DPI usually gives you worse tracking due to noise. Manufactures are now recommending dpi for their mice. For example the CM Storm Spawn they recommend 800 dpi as that is the highest the sensor and do without interpolation and their currently the only manufacturer with that sensor that does 800 dpi without interpolation  the others only do 400. O in the case of the Naga 2014 that just showed up here yesterday in the software razer recommends between 1600 and 1800 dpi.

The other thing I would like to point out that I just noticed is that the Deathadder 2013 isnt optical its Infrared which may explain why the sensor isnt in all their mice?

It's not the bane of mouse issues, but it's in no way desirable for gaming. A crutch is a crutch.

What makes you think an infrared sensor isn't an optical sensor?

It's not the bane of mouse issues, but it's in no way desirable for gaming. A crutch is a crutch.

What makes you think an infrared sensor isn't an optical sensor?

It may not be but people sure do make it seem that way.

I guess it could be a IR LED... I guess it just came to mind because laser mice are all IR.

You should try and G500s  not only because of the new sensor but the new coating is amazing and way better than anything they had on any of their model previously in my opinion.

I will try the 500s when this one craps out. Right now I'm used to my 500 and don't want to change it up lol. One thing is for sure, no matter what mouse you choose....you cant go wrong with Logitech:)

CASE: Coolermaster HAF XM CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k @ 4.5ghz GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 CPU COOLER: Corsair Hydro Series H110 RAM: 16GB G.skill Ripjaws Z series PSU: Corsair HX850 MOBO: ASUS P9X79 LE HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB, Crucial M4 128GB SSD MOUSE:Roccat Kone XTD KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K95 MONITOR:  ASUS VE248H 24" LCD x2 / AOC G2460PG x1

I will try the 500s when this one craps out. Right now I'm used to my 500 and don't want to change it up lol. One thing is for sure, no matter what mouse you choose....you cant go wrong with Logitech:)

I hate their mouse feet personally I seem to wear them out much quicker and they leave stuff all over my mousepads.