Macbook Pro not overpriced? (plz no fan boy stuff)

david1196

I want to ask this on forum and im scared to get crushed by people calling me apple fan boy, but I always thought apple macbook pros were overpriced, actually, its not too overpriced compared to new xps13 or lenovo x1 carbon?

opinion??

Please no calling me fan boy cuz only apple thing i own is their earphones and thats cuz thats the only thing it fits in my weird ears.

the xps13 and x1 carbon also have a price premium for the design, just like apple

a lot of engineering goes into making something so thin and light

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

most laptops would be significantly more expensive if they went with an all aluminum construction. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I think you are correct. Everyone I know that owns a macbook pro (with a single exception) has had their laptops work reliably, quickly, and endure for long periods of time(3+ years). They have all held up much better than most of their laptop counterparts (not from the same price point, but laptops nonetheless), so I think the cost per year is probably much lower than buying budget windows laptops. That alone would make it a solid purchase in my book. I have never purchased a macbook, but I'm definitely considering it for my next one simply because of how reliable they are. There are definitely cons to using apple products (key software for the business user being behind (office comes to mind), among other things), but there are also pros (such as max exclusive programs and such). So I like to think that they do carry a premium, but most apple users say it is worth the jump, and over the years I have started to believe them. Say what you want about Apple, but it is pretty tough to argue that their hardware department sucks or is lacking (with notable exceptions, aka the new macbook) or is a (complete) waste of money.

The reason people think there overpriced is cause you can get more powerful machines that are maybe a little more bulky and a little less attractive for the same price. I wouldn't call them overpriced if  design is the number one buying factor.

Both Airs and retina MacBook Pros are greats laptops! Also in the future if you plan on changing it they will hold its value a lot better in the used market than non-Apple choices.

LianLi A71F Fulltower - i7 3770k delided + Corsair H60 - G.Skill Ripjaws 16 Gb @2133 Mhz - Sabertooth Z77 - Asrock Vega 56 - Asus Xonar Essence STX - Creative SoundBlaster Omni - 2x Corsair Force GT 120 Gb - 2x WD Green 2 Tb - 1x WD Blue 2 Tb - Corsair K70 w/ Red switches - Logitech MX Anywhere 2.

Don't see a point to buying the newest macbook honestly. One port = a deal breaker for me.

I'm sorry, what if i wanted to use a mouse, AND have a usb drive plugged in? Oh, i need a dongle? and what about a mouse, phone, and usb plugged in? Another dongle? Well then, i think i see a pattern here. 

PC focused on being able to integrate components into the system interiors, i.e. more hard drives, and the like. Mac poured everything into thunderbolt, meaning external drives, and the like. Leading to a spaghetti monster of cables for those who wanted large storage. 

Current non-apple laptops still incorporate internal ports, leading to not have to have 5 freaking usb splitters. Apple may have stopped making *cough* traditional desktops, but they've continued their spaghetti monster belief for computers.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Don't see a point to buying the newest macbook honestly. One port = a deal breaker for me.

I'm sorry, what if i wanted to use a mouse, AND have a usb drive plugged in? Oh, i need a dongle? and what about a mouse, phone, and usb plugged in? Another dongle? Well then, i think i see a pattern here. 

PC focused on being able to integrate components into the system interiors, i.e. more hard drives, and the like. Mac poured everything into thunderbolt, meaning external drives, and the like. Leading to a spaghetti monster of cables for those who wanted large storage. 

Current non-apple laptops still incorporate internal ports, leading to not have to have 5 freaking usb splitters. Apple may have stopped making *cough* traditional desktops, but they've continued their spaghetti monster belief for computers.

@Atmos

Yea no doubt, the new macbook is very bad. Like Really bad. core M with one port cost 1200?

i really agree with you but I'm only talking about macbook pro 13 retina (base model, the cheapest one) compared to other laptops with similar specs.

@Atmos

Yea no doubt, the new macbook is very bad. Like Really bad. core M with one port cost 1200?

i really agree with you but I'm only talking about macbook pro 13 retina (base model, the cheapest one) compared to other laptops with similar specs.

Yea macbook pro is far better xD

But still, I'd really hate of apple to get too full of themselves and go out to only give that'n one port too :3

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

For their specs and cooling and the fact that everything is basically integrated in them? They are ridiculously overpriced.

They DO have the benefit of not cheaping out on components though. For example: if you got a hard drive in a Macbook Pro, you'd never get a second-rate brand that's likely to show problems in a year or two. You're also likely to get 7200RPM drives instead of 5400RPM that is all the rage with most lower end (and midrange) laptops. The price to upgrade to better drives is not much, and it doesn't satisfy the price difference between Windows laptops and macbooks, but it's stupid that companies like Dell and HP and Lenovo etc have to low-ball us for that $5 (which can be translated into consumer price) to give us better hard drives and stuff.

The problem is that budget windows laptops, which are seen as their counterparts (as internal part strength is compared) suck due to being "budget" laptops, and people don't understand that budget laptops are terrible for anything beyond browsing the web and typing up a paper. Playing LoL, using Photoshop, watching livestreams on twitch? You should be getting a midrange laptop that's close to or as expensive as the macbooks. The macbooks can't cool worth a damn, but they can handle that level of low-power usage like I just described, and budget laptops can't. More midrange laptops can, and can handle more work too (though not medium work like 120fps CPU-intensive gaming or heavy work like good video rendering/3D modeling/good livestreaming).

In general, it's up to you what you want to buy. Just be wary that regardless of what you think of Apple, their prices *ARE* jacked up quite a lot, and a similarly-specced, almost-as-expensive windows laptop is likely to have very good internal construction (probably surpassing the macbook, which DOES focus on outer-body construction/looks/etc) and you should check reviews that test those things; possibly notebookcheck reviews. They favour design and aesthetics greatly, however they do check things most reviewers won't check or report on. At least lately Linus has been reporting temps and the workloads that he puts things under, etc, which is a lot better. 

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Meh, the airs are pretty fairly priced, but the quad core macbook pros are ridiculous

3,000 dollars is way too much for that way too hot chassis

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it